Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Intersting Theory « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 16, 2006, 09:25:03 PM

Caradoc, I disagree with the play calling not being a big issue.  execution of the plays is essential in any offense to be productive.  However, it's the element of surprise that is problematic to the Gruden System in the last three years.  why continue with all of the shifts when it's apparent it's going to be a run or throw?  the dump offs, slants, etc are things I can call before the snap of the ball.  And if I can call it without any film study, just imagine what defensive coordinators have been able to figure out?!  Last year was the exception; I honestly feel Gruden did a superior job in conforming with the talent he had to work with, given the fact he also had a hot legged rookie in Caddy! 
There is no doubt that if players do not execute, Walsh, Lombardi, Noll, etc, all look bad.  But it's imperative that the coaching staff works with the talent they are dealt.  It is simply a matter of conforming, rather than controlling.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 16, 2006, 09:37:05 PM

"I don't think that the issue is his calling plays. It's more the fact that he is managing personnel as well. I think Gruden's playcalling is good."

WHAT? HUH? ................................ OK, I give? what is it then? Tell me you cant predict what is gonna be called at least 60% of the time, and better yet is it what you "think should have been called"?
You obviously don't watch the games. The problem isn't playcalling, it's execution. On pass plays there are guys open most of the time, but we can't hit them. On run plays we get jack for push. It comes to a poorly performing O-line and a rookie QB. Plus some bad drops but those happen all over, so they are less relevant. There's plenty to criticize in the coaching of the players, but the playcalling hasn't been a big issue.

I will agree that there are many times where the called play works, but the execution causes it to fail.  However, we are seeing the same exucution problems causing the same playcalls to fail over and over again.  This is what is frustrating to me.  If the play works on paper, but the team can't execute it, why continue to call it?  Why not adjust to more plays that the players have shown they can execute?  Or why not bench the players that aren't executing?

buckit

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 17, 2006, 11:58:03 AM

Like any OC, Gruden has had his share of good and bad games playcalling wise.  Overall, I think he's a very good playcaller.  However, I wonder sometimes about all the shifting and motions.   Is it just me, or do they not seem very effective at all.  Seems to be just a bunch of smoke and mirrors that the D is prepared for.  I rarely see a defensive shift after one of Gru's line shifts.  I know he's trying to be original, but sometimes he's just a bit too original...know what I mean?

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 17, 2006, 12:00:09 PM

The motions are to help the QB with decisions on the line more so than to confuse the D.  A veteran QB gaines more information out of the motions than a young QB.  Hence why I do believe Jon should simplify it and let them line up and play instead.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Intersting Theory « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools