Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Golf Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 53

bigbuc345

Pro Bowler

: April 29, 2009, 06:57:00 PM

Even the best take breaks. I'm sure Tiger takes his breaks because after his heart stopping wins he needs a break. Take your time.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 08, 2008, 07:42:02 AM

You'll love it. Unfortunately, he may not be in contention so you'll have to watch Phil Mickelson or Vijay Singh make that move.

Here's hoping they don't split their britches.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#2 : June 12, 2008, 10:36:43 PM

Has anybody else caught the bug this year? I'm playing almost every day and just can't get enough of it this year...maybe because school is going to take up the next 3 years of my life completely.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 12, 2008, 10:39:26 PM

I work from home and live on the course.  I pop out play a few holes at least twice a day.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#4 : June 12, 2008, 10:42:34 PM

Nice man...what's in your bag? I just got Titleist 755 Irons yesterday so I'm feeling them out. They're more player's clubs than the Hogan CFT's I had before but I played them for 2 years so it was time for an upgrade.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 12, 2008, 10:55:16 PM

I have had the same irons for 24 years, Ping Eye II, plus a Calloway forged 52degree wedge.  I am using a Nickent Pipe putter right now but still use my 22-year-old Ping B61 sometimes.  I have always used Taylor Made drivers but for the last two years I have carried a Callaway Big Bertha ERC II.   I also have a Adams Tight Lies Redline 4-wood, and a 18 degree saver/utility club.

I have experimented a fair bit over the year, especially when I was younger.  I tried Wilson Fatshaft irons, which my son now uses.  WHEN my swing is good I have yet to find an iron that is better than the Ping Eye II. 

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 12, 2008, 11:08:51 PM

Those Pings are an oldie but goodie...  Big Bertha is an awesome driver... Ever tried the Nike Sasquatch Tour 460? I just picked up a set of the Taylormade r7... Very Very nice.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 12, 2008, 11:23:37 PM

If you did a poll on the best Irons evers made the Ping Eye II would win hands down, there are no other standouts IMO.

Ping putters were in the hands of 26 of 40 major winners over a ten year period.  The Pipe I use now is one of the very best of the 'new' generation but I can score just as well with the 22-year-old Ping.

Drivers did go through a huge period of improvement when the metal head, and then graphite shafts came along.  I have a Taylor Made Bubble T-2 that is about 8 years old and I don't think there as been much advancement since then.  For instance my Calloway failed the COR tests so it is banned for USPGA competition.  So basically it is very unlikely any new driver would offer me anything the ERC II doesn't.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 13, 2008, 12:23:27 AM

Played a few Tampa courses recently and it seems the drought has hit the courses hard. Very dry fairways -

The water twice a day at our course, and the fairways are pretty green and soft(ish) still.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 13, 2008, 12:53:39 AM

Diamond Hills is OK in the Brandon area.  I like Bloomingdale's layout but the course gets a little over played.

You should get some decent rates in the summer at most courses.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 13, 2008, 06:53:46 AM

Has anybody else caught the bug this year? I'm playing almost every day and just can't get enough of it this year...maybe because school is going to take up the next 3 years of my life completely.

I caught the bug in 1988, haven't been the same since.  I've had more clubs than a professional bridge player.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the Eye 2's because of the shovel effect. Right now I'm using an old set of Ping I3 blades.

But my putter is the Guerin Rife 2 Bar Mallet.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 13, 2008, 09:13:29 AM

I would beat and old lady into the ground to play a round. Can't play everyday or even every month, it hurts. I used to play 4 times a week until I had to grow up and join the real world. Kids alos hinder your handicap.

Cleveland t-5's (wack sticks, can't wait to upgraqde), TM 16 degre hybrid, Titleist 983K, 52 and 60 TM wedges, #2 Odessy wite hot putter.

My game has gone to hell witout being able to get out there and play, probably now a 20 from a 12.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 13, 2008, 09:57:04 AM

Got as low as a 9-hcp, but now I'm playing to a 12+. Work causes that. In college I played city tournaments, bet $$$ with friends, played skins, etc. I think tourneys, betting forces you to be a better golfer. Nowadays its about hacking it on weekends. Too tired after work to even hit the practice green/range.

Anyone ever play the Lexington Oaks course? Was thinking of buying a home up there, but looked at the course and it didn't seem too appealing.

No doubt playing for OPM makes you a better player. That's why kids and high handicappers crack. It's unfamiliar territory for them.

Aerosmith said it best, "you gotta lose to know how to win".

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 13, 2008, 12:38:20 PM

I caught the bug in 1988, haven't been the same since. I've had more clubs than a professional bridge player.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the Eye 2's because of the shovel effect. Right now I'm using an old set of Ping I3 blades.

You don't have to be the biggest fan, they don't suit everyone.  BUT in the last thirty years they are the undoubted standout club.   Golf is 90% between the ears once you get good fundamentals.  I can hit ladies irons just fine apart for the loss of touch from 150 yards in.

I have had my fair share of clubs.  I bought the Wilson Fatshafts because I thought graphite might be a good idea, which it wasn't.  I have several Taylor Made drivers, and various other clubs that were in such good condition my son's first set will probably be good enough for years.  The only club he doesn't like is my Ping B61 putter, so I might just switch back to it and let him have the Pipe.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 13, 2008, 12:40:27 PM

What's the golf like in Venice, FL? Expensive? A lot of courses available.? Thinking about other places in FLA to live other than crime-ridden Tampa.

I would imagine the golf is good down there and fairly expensive in the winter.  Not sure what the rates will be like in the summer though.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 53
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Golf Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools