Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Golf Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 53

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 13, 2008, 01:26:12 PM

ping eye II's (square groove, not the Plus model) are the standard for cast clubs, no doubt.  they were the pre-eminent game improvement iron.  personally, i find the offset too extreme and the lofts navigating toward a ball flight that's too high.  i'm a 5 at my club from some ridiculous rounds posted a couple months ago, but i'm really a 9.  i use the Hogan Edge Pro's - a player's cavity back and forged.  I have a R5 TM driver that is the ugliest thing you've ever seen, but i hit fairways with it, and it's sufficiently long.  V-Steel TM 3 wood and the TM 3 hybrid Burner.  I have a couple Cleveland wedges (54 and 58) and after using every SC putter out there, i'm on a Wilson Staff/Kirk Currie milled beauty with a weighting system (i use the 340 gram weight).  made 3 birdies the other day and that's the only way you get paid at our club.

that said, if i had to use a game improvement iron these days i'd look at the Callaway lineup - that's assuming you don't care what it looks like at address because it doesn't look like a golf club.  if i was to go to a pure blade - i'd look no further than Mizuno's all though that set Sergio plays is sick.  a nice combo set are the TM RAC set.

if you're not using the ProV1X - you're leaving shots on the course...

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 13, 2008, 02:50:07 PM

What's the golf like in Venice, FL? Expensive? A lot of courses available.? Thinking about other places in FLA to live other than crime-ridden Tampa.

It's pretty good. We have our share of higher end joints and a good mix of semi private and public clubs.

The one thing we have down here that seems to be unique is the $20 Tour. Big quota point games (usually 40-50 in the summer, upwards of 70 in season) with really good skin action and plenty of good players.

Rates are really good at the local muni ($20 in summer and I think it was $32 last winter) plus your game money. Conditions can be a little iffy sometimes but we all play the same course so it evens out.

The best thing is you've always got a tee time. I also know where there's a $$ game every day of the week.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#17 : June 13, 2008, 03:57:24 PM

Golf is a funny game. Sometimes I want to be the best I can be at it and other times I just want to go out and have fun and whack 'em for a while. I'm usually the latter.

I've hit all sorts of clubs in my golfing career. My first irons were Tommy Armour 845s. I hated them but I was a beginner at the time too. I got Callaway X-12s after that and they were awesome for me (game improvement of course). I played Armour Evo Irons after that and I didn't like them, then onto Ben Hogan CFT's with hybrid 3 and 4 and now finally onto the Titleist 755s. They're forged which I like and are more of a player's club than the Hogans. I like to be able to feel the mistake shots and they give me that so I am happy.

I think hybrids are great. I can hit a 3 iron and probably a 2 iron if I tried / wanted to, but long irons give so many players trouble that they may as well just hit hybrid irons. If you're a weekend golfer you may as well play the hybrids because they're really good if you get the right ones.

I have years when I play every day like this year and others when I don't. Since I am going to law school next year I don't think I will be playing too much golf the next few years. I may have to find a course out in Pittsburgh.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 13, 2008, 04:03:36 PM

I play an average of 3-4 times a week and almost every player I know, regardless of handicap, have hybrids. They are really forgiving and I can hit my 2 as high as a 9 iron.

Pirate Zone

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 14, 2008, 02:32:17 PM

Started playing about 10 years ago and have about a 22 handicap, and I get out usually about once a month to play. I bought me a new driver last Christmas called the "Nitro turbo driver" if anyones heard of it, it cost me about $99 and it actually has added about 25-30 yards to my drives.

12thbuc

Starter

#20 : June 14, 2008, 02:39:29 PM

i use to play, i miss it.

Xbox live: throesch
MSNM: naplesbuc@live.com

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 14, 2008, 03:48:05 PM

I have played on and off for 30 years.  Not played much for the last three years, two rounds for charity I think.  I have plenty of free time now I am working from home, and we recently joined the club we have lived on for seven years.

Hopefully my game will start getting a little more consistent now I play everyday.  I go from awesome shots to losing balls right now.   Ac couple of years ago my driving was strong, 300+ yards and fairly accurate.  Now my driving stinks but my game from 150/160 yards in is pretty good.  IF I could just get both things firing at the same time it would be an easy and less frustrating game.  Thankfully I have never had a problem with putting. 

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#22 : June 14, 2008, 09:05:42 PM

My problem right now is that I leave way too many opportunities on the green pass me by. I've got to find some way to change my mindset from putt for par and 2 putt for bogey to putt for birdie and 2 putt for par. I am also terribly inconsistent as you are saying MJS...I shot a 50 on the front of my home club yesterday because I blew up on the hardest hole and shot a 10. Today I shot an 87 at the local public course on 18. Now that's inconsistency...13 stroke difference and I putted for par on almost every hole and just 2 putted for bogey. I had an eagle putt too. That hurts!

Does anybody else read Golf Digest? They're having a challenge right now to improve "your" game. You can register on their website and you can track all your scores and they give you tips tailored for what you want to do from Leadbetter, Mickelson, Annika, etc. Really cool stuff.

I'm watching the Open right now, actually, and just caught Tiger's eagle on 13. It just seems more exciting this year.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 14, 2008, 11:36:01 PM

I can destroy a par 5 with a 360 yard drive and a 9 iron on one hole and then lose two balls on the next....now that is frustrating.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 14, 2008, 11:42:16 PM

I rarely make it through 18 holes.    I show up with 30 balls.   When those balls are all lost, I go home.   

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#25 : June 15, 2008, 09:31:29 AM

The woods are full of long hitters.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 15, 2008, 11:26:24 AM

360 yd drives? Incredible/unbelievable.   What the technology has done to the game of golf.  Its sad, really.   I've played with a lot of golfers who hit long drives - but into the woods.

I am very inconsistent with the driver right now, and even the distance as deserted me.  A couple of years ago when we played charity better ball events events it was my drive on every hole.  Par-5's were drives and short iron, and the shorter par-4's were in range.  Having three other drives to fall back on helps you let loose a little.

My game is very much suited to better ball and match play these days.   :(

You are right though, the technology has come a long way.  When I was younger I was a short driver, maybe 230-250 yards when they went straight.  I think my swing/timing has accounted for an extra 30-50 yards, and maybe the technology is another 30-50.  We live on a Par-5 and I know from watching the golfers go by that many people hit 280+ yards these days.

Chipper08

Second String
#27 : June 15, 2008, 06:25:37 PM

Got as low as a 9-hcp, but now I'm playing to a 12+. Work causes that.  In college I played city tournaments, bet $$$ with friends, played skins, etc. I think tourneys, betting forces you to be a better golfer. Nowadays its about hacking it on weekends. Too tired after work to even hit the practice green/range.

Anyone ever play the Lexington Oaks course? Was thinking of buying a home up there, but looked at the course and it didn't seem too appealing.

I actually play Lexington Oaks all the time, it is my course of choice. Very affordable and well maintained.

I play with Taylormade. I have RAC OS2 irons, R5 7wood (my fav club) V-steel 3&5 woods 460 Superquad R7 driver, I have a Yes putter and love it!

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#28 : June 15, 2008, 11:29:10 PM

Golf clubs are expensive. I just play Tiger Woods '08 on PS3 instead. I'm awesome!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 15, 2008, 11:30:03 PM

Golf clubs are expensive. I just play Tiger Woods '08 on PS3 instead. I'm awesome!

Any dimwit can get good at video games.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 53
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Golf Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools