Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I had finally had enough of Brighthouse « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Lamond

Hall of Famer

: June 13, 2008, 10:02:48 AM

Fios is available down here and I have a friend who recently left Comcast, which I have, for Verizon. My only problem is I hate Verizon.

I have the whole shmear, phone, internet and HD. I hear their internet speeds are better than my cable connection.

Just hate to make a change but it might be about time.

techstar25

Starter

#1 : June 13, 2008, 10:01:39 AM

You don't have Direct TV in your area?
in a rian infested area like Florida having a service that cuts out everytime there is cloud cover or a rainstorm is crazy

PLUS
That hasn't been true since like 1990. The new dishes aren't effected at all. I've had plenty of rainstorms with no drops at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my blog "Reheemisms", a compilation of his best quotes.

thanson

Starter

#2 : June 13, 2008, 10:00:34 AM

I have verizon and love it! Not to mention, you get espnu as well.

#3 : June 13, 2008, 09:59:21 AM

Direct TV kicks Verizon's Tail in HD but in a rian infested area like Florida having a service that cuts out everytime there is cloud cover or a rainstorm is crazy

PLUS

Direct TV or Dish Network doesnt have internet service you can bundle

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#4 : June 14, 2008, 11:07:14 AM

Direct TV kicks Verizon's Tail in HD but in a rian infested area like Florida having a service that cuts out everytime there is cloud cover or a rainstorm is crazy

PLUS

Direct TV or Dish Network doesnt have internet service you can bundle

Actualy if you have one of the 2006 or newer 5 LNB Sat dishes from DirecTV, you won't ever notice a loss of signal in any kind of rain storms. Atleast I haven't.

AND if you go to DirecTV.com and look for a broadband internet package, they'll send you to Verizon DSL of all places.

techstar25

Starter

#5 : June 13, 2008, 09:58:51 AM

Why didn't you go with DirecTV? It seems that I'm getting the same channels you are but my combined bills are about $50 less.(I have DirecTV HDDVR plus brighthouse's roadrunner)
I highly recommend that people look at DirecTV before getting into FiOS. My DirecTV has been very reliable, much more so than the brighthouse cable TV I had.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my blog "Reheemisms", a compilation of his best quotes.

#6 : June 13, 2008, 09:37:27 AM

I finally moved into an area that has FiOS and I made the switch...and I made sure that when I called to cancel Brighhouse they were well aware of the reason and the one reason alone

NFL NETWORK

I got the song and dance and the sappy speel about how the NFL will charge them per customer and they wont be able to recoop the money...also how they deem it "Unfair" that clients will have to pay extra for an increase in the cable bill for a channel that not everyone wants on standard tier

The FiOS installer also gave me the lowdown on the multiroom boxes...Verizon is just getting ready for the all digital switch coming and when Brighthouse has to switch they will also have to do the same and charge everyone for multiroom boxes. Also Brighthouse is basically 1000's of miles from reaching an agreement with the NFL and basically has a stranglehold on people with service areas and will not let FiOS in to service those people for fear they will go under. Sooner or later, he says, they will have to compete. However right now they are chosing to provide inferrior service because they can

I have FiOs now with Boomerang (for the classic cartoon buffs), 4 different History Channels, Crime and Investigation Network (new but really cool), Fox reality (for those who like that kinda stuff), I have all my On demand stations combined one ONE guide

Not to mention BOTH Nfl Network and NFL Network HD

My Internet runs at 20MBps both up and download speeds

My Bill is  higher than Brighthouse (around $160-$170) BUT if you dont want the faster internet and some of the extras you can get cable service at "comparable" prices to Brighthouse

Right now they are not charging me extra for HD (at all!!) but in the near future, the guy said, almost every channel they have on standard tier will be available in HD and they will probably have a HD package price ....Also Brighthouse has maxed out their coaxel cable service and cannot add a station without subtracting one

To me you cannot put a price tag on 24/7 NFL Football especially in a football crazy area like Tampa Bay

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#7 : June 13, 2008, 09:50:47 AM

Yeah it's always commical to hear the BH reps make their comments as if it's all the NFL's fault and not BH...then they go into the speil of how BH is about customer care yadda yadda yadda. I hate BH but then again I hate Verizon because they keep advertising in my neighborhood but Fios won't be available any time soon...so thanks Verizon for the taunts...it drives me crazy.

BucNative

Starter

#8 : June 13, 2008, 09:54:09 AM

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 13, 2008, 09:55:52 AM

NFL NETWORK

I got the song and dance and the sappy speel about how the NFL will charge them per customer and they wont be able to recoop the money...also how they deem it "Unfair" that clients will have to pay extra for an increase in the cable bill for a channel that not everyone wants on standard tier

I never got this whole "unfair" bit.  These cable cos. all sell local ads on the cable channels.  And NFLN would be a very popular request for ad space and they'd have no problem selling ads on NFLN for a premium that more than makes up for the added cost.  To them it's not "fair" that NFLN won't let them have their cake and eat it too.

#10 : June 13, 2008, 09:57:12 AM

Yeah it's always commical to hear the BH reps make their comments as if it's all the NFL's fault and not BH...then they go into the speil of how BH is about customer care yadda yadda yadda. I hate BH but then again I hate Verizon because they keep advertising in my neighborhood but Fios won't be available any time soon...so thanks Verizon for the taunts...it drives me crazy.

According to the Verizon guy Brighthouse is not letting them service most areas..they have to fight them to release markets in order to lay the Fiber Optic wire. Brighthouse is afraid of competition because they know if people (especially in the Bucs market) have a choice between Bighthouse (No NFL Network) and FiOS (NFL Network) the choice would be easy

A lot of apartment complexes have contacts with Brighthouse as well (if anyone lives in an apt) that they cannot get rid of

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 13, 2008, 09:57:39 AM

I never had Brighthouse, wouldn't even consider having them. I had DirecTV, but dumped that in favor of FIOS. A great move.

#12 : June 13, 2008, 10:10:18 AM

Fios is available down here and I have a friend who recently left Comcast, which I have, for Verizon. My only problem is I hate Verizon.

I have the whole shmear, phone, internet and HD. I hear their internet speeds are better than my cable connection.

Just hate to make a change but it might be about time.

There are SOME shortcomings with Verizons service howerver their customer service is only open M-F 9-6 I Believe Tech support is open all week however

You dont get Bad News 9 (weather on the 9's)

and its a 6 hour job (usually) for them to install

The first bill is rather high (Partial month charges) and ( for now) the only service to charge you per month for each room's boxes

However if you dont want some of the pitfalls of the dish (which my mother has DirecTV and had an outage for 4 hours during a rainstorm) and you really want the NFL Network its the way to go

#13 : June 13, 2008, 10:12:25 AM

Forgot to mention they also have Multi Room DVR its like 5-10 bucks more a month ( I dont have it though)

You can record a show in one room and watch it in another

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 13, 2008, 10:13:42 AM

IF you can get fios there's no question that you should do that immediately.

Forget the NFL network, that's just some minor bonus.  Fios = Best digital phone service, Best TV service, and far FAR and away the best internet service. 

My bright house internet service sucks big hairy donkey balls.  The packet loss makes gaming unplayable at times. They haven't done thing one to improve it in years.  Screw 'em, fios should be here inside of a month.  Ride the Light!

If you have issues with my conclusions take it up with consumer reports, their results agree with what I already knew 100%.  You shouldn't have to look more then five issues back.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I had finally had enough of Brighthouse « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools