Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I had finally had enough of Brighthouse « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 13, 2008, 10:14:29 AM

Watch out for Verizon...they are starting to block large chunks of the internet...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9964895-38.html

Verizon is also not as popular in my area because they tore up people's lawns to put in the fiber optic lines whether they wanted FIOS or not.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 13, 2008, 10:14:46 AM

I don't think that multi-room dvr is the way to go. If you do that you're stuck with just two tv tuners. You're better off going with multiple smart nodes, not the server client relationship.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 13, 2008, 10:16:47 AM

Make sure you get this:

http://www.tivo.com/promo/bluemoon.html

Time's running out on that.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 13, 2008, 10:17:34 AM

I don't think that multi-room dvr is the way to go. If you do that you're stuck with just two tv tuners. You're better off going with multiple smart nodes, not the server client relationship.

We considered the multi-room DVR (briefly) and ended up getting DVR's in every room of the house instead.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 13, 2008, 10:17:40 AM

Watch out for Verizon...they are starting to block large chunks of the internet...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9964895-38.html

Verizon is also not as popular in my area because they tore up people's lawns to put in the fiber optic lines whether they wanted FIOS or not.

People should be well aware they don't own their property by now. Certainly not the part that's contained with in the right of way or the road and utility lines.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 13, 2008, 10:20:26 AM

We considered the multi-room DVR (briefly) and ended up getting DVR's in every room of the house instead.

That's definitely the way to go. I have not heard the first person (out of maybe 10 total) that like the server client arrangement.  There are devices that can send shows (not sure if it's streamed or copied) from one device to another, where both still are fully functioning DVRs.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 13, 2008, 10:30:12 AM

Make sure you get this:

http://www.tivo.com/promo/bluemoon.html

Time's running out on that.

Hmm... yeah I have to look into this more.  I've been waiting for fios to arrive to do more research. One friend has a very nice set up using apple solutions, apple tv and eyetv. I was leaning towards windows based.  The main thing it needs to do is record HD and then be able to burn that to a HD optical disc, basically bluray at this point.  Also it should be able to send recored shows to any other device. 

My Apple guru says I need to wait till at least this Christmas for apple to have that at a reasonable price.  On the PC side I get mixed reports. Looks like XP media center isn't quite up to the task but a vista based platform might be.  Plus the fact eyeTV is not an apple product, he doesn't like that too much either.

I just don't want to see my sticky grenades floating in the air 'cause my connection stinks and the packet didn't get through. I'm getting tired of that kind of thing.  And I hate deleting the games I've recorded... and Top Gear.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 13, 2008, 10:30:45 AM

FYI, Usenet isn't a large chunk of the internet.  Additionally, there are alternative ways to get Usenet newsgroups even if your ISP blocks it, so even if FIOS doesn't carry those Usenet branches you're interested in, like alt.*, you can get to them elsewhere.

Yeah, but that was necessary and they did it in the utility easement, which is reserved for such purposes. They were required to put the lawns back as close to how they found them as possible. If they didn't, a call to Verizon should have solved the problem. In my case, they actually cracked my driveway during the process of laying the fiber. I called Verizon, a supervisor called me back and told me to get a quote for repairing the driveway. I did, and Verizon paid to have it done (they actually sent me a check) and I had it in hand about a week after I called them.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 13, 2008, 10:35:39 AM

Hmm... yeah I have to look into this more.  I've been waiting for fios to arrive to do more research.

I've used alternative methods, including home media PC's. The FIOS-supplied DVR's aren't so hot (they've improved quite a bit since they first came around, thanks to upgrades and fixes that have been pushed out) but nothing, not even custom home media PC's, beats TIVO, IMO, and a lot of that is because TIVO has the best guide data. Many people don't realize this, but the quality of your DVR experience is based on, probably more than any other single factor, the quality of the guide data.

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 13, 2008, 10:59:34 AM

The NFL Network wants to charge Brighthouse 20 to 25 million to carry the network for the Tampa Bay market. The demographics in this market do not justify them carrying it. It would be put out by subscription. They see no way that they could recoup.
Not sticking up for BH. Just putting out facts.

#25 : June 13, 2008, 11:12:44 AM

The NFL Network wants to charge Brighthouse 20 to 25 million to carry the network for the Tampa Bay market. The demographics in this market do not justify them carrying it. It would be put out by subscription. They see no way that they could recoup.
Not sticking up for BH. Just putting out facts.

Then charge everone a quarter extra for it... bascially (from the Verizon rep I spoke to) the NFL is charging the network like 25-30 cents per subscriber to have it...fact of the matter is they have NO CLUE of their demographics and I would venture to guess they have not spent time doing basic risk analysis. The small margin of people in the Tampa Bay area who have ZERO intrest in ANY NFL team (not just the Bucs) is greatly smaller than the people who like football and want the NFL Network and wouldnt mind the 25 cent increase to get it

However the real issue IS Brighthouse will have to remove a station from it's tier to add the NFL Network...finding that station would be tricky but I can assure you if I were them I would add it to the standard tier charge a quarter more save the Public relations nighmare and AXE a station with Poor ratings

BUT that would be Forward thinking....this is Brighthouse we are talking about

#26 : June 13, 2008, 11:17:42 AM

Sooner or later two things will happen

1) A Bucs game will be on NFL Network

2) The NFL Network will start to show more and more games there.

Both of which will casue such an uproar in the Bay area community the lines will be buzzing at Brighthouse...because they missed a Bucs game because they refuse to back down

Brighthouse has been fortunate that the NFL has not scheduled a game on NFL Network yet for the Bucs...and if the NFL really wanted to shaft them they would schedule a regular season game between a big divison opponent (New Orleans/Carolina) right in the middle of a playoff/division push just to turn up the heat on Brighthouse even more

This would turn people against BH even more...I think this could happen sooner than later if BH doesnt act

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler
#27 : June 13, 2008, 11:18:34 AM

I also heard the NFLN offered sizeable chunks of time for TW/Brighthouse to sell commercial programming to help them recoup the money. I think that would be a pretty easy sale.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#28 : June 13, 2008, 11:21:25 AM

There is always more than what meets the eye ...

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 13, 2008, 11:33:29 AM

Hmm... yeah I have to look into this more.  I've been waiting for fios to arrive to do more research.

I've used alternative methods, including home media PC's. The FIOS-supplied DVR's aren't so hot (they've improved quite a bit since they first came around, thanks to upgrades and fixes that have been pushed out) but nothing, not even custom home media PC's, beats TIVO, IMO, and a lot of that is because TIVO has the best guide data. Many people don't realize this, but the quality of your DVR experience is based on, probably more than any other single factor, the quality of the guide data.

I get that, but I was under the impression you could actually get tivo on a home media center.  No? you buy a tivo branded tuner(s) that are like any other psi whatever cards you'd put in your PC. So it's Tivo, not some generic box of parts dvr. 

I'm talking from stuff I remember years ago when I first looked into it. Then I got the DVR and kind of settled for years with that not being my dream solution. So  I have to admit I haven't looked into it lately, but I'm about to big time, and not just asking others but doing the research myself.

I'm totally convinced Tivo is the way to go. Although the eyetv/mac solution is going to get a big time looking into.

Do any of the tivo units burn to disc? Do their hdd show up on my network such that I could simply copy the file to a PC then burn it so disc, hopefully in HD if it's recorded that way that would then play in any normal dvd/bluray player.  I don't know what file format tivo uses but I would guess it's not DV or whatever bluray's standard is so you need some software there to make an actual working dvd/bluray disc.

Lots of work. Although it'd become very simple if there was just a mac daddy tivo that would burn HD recording to Bluray that could then be played on everyone's PS3.  That's be too easy. The PC can be left to just server out home movies.... and rip dvds to stream to client devices...

I keep hearing how sweet it is to rip all the kids' movies so they don't have to mess with discs. That sounds real nice 'cause the kids are hard on discs.

In any case I'm very excited about the coming months 'cause I'm doing a major media and PC upgrades.  Everything is coming together, Fios, Spore, Gears of War 2!   ... still kind of waiting on the tv size I want with the tech I want at the price I want.   

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I had finally had enough of Brighthouse « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools