Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I had finally had enough of Brighthouse « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#30 : June 13, 2008, 11:35:18 AM

Sooner or later two things will happen

1) A Bucs game will be on NFL Network

2) The NFL Network will start to show more and more games there.

Both of which will casue such an uproar in the Bay area community the lines will be buzzing at Brighthouse...because they missed a Bucs game because they refuse to back down

Brighthouse has been fortunate that the NFL has not scheduled a game on NFL Network yet for the Bucs...and if the NFL really wanted to shaft them they would schedule a regular season game between a big divison opponent (New Orleans/Carolina) right in the middle of a playoff/division push just to turn up the heat on Brighthouse even more

This would turn people against BH even more...I think this could happen sooner than later if BH doesnt act

Now why would people turn on BH. Seems like the NFL is the agitator.  They should be pissed at the NFL.  :confused:

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#31 : June 13, 2008, 11:36:47 AM

Have Brighthouse cable and internet only-no premium channels. Works just fine.

Can add Dish network (only to get NFLN) cheaper than going to Verizon.

Changing my email would be quite difficult as its been married to my company for over 10 years.

Don't need or want all the bells and whistles. Presently have 2 DVD players and 2 recorders.

Am also looking into TIVO, but its definitely not a big priority.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#32 : June 13, 2008, 11:40:11 AM

Rowdie.

IIRC, both the home and visiting team will still be able to get the game on their local broadcast  channel.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#33 : June 13, 2008, 11:43:07 AM

I had DirectTv and had a very bad experience...lost the signal for three of the games last season, the installer left all kinds of metal pieces in the yard for my dogs to chew on, they don't (or didn't at the time) have HBO in demand not to mention less of the HBO channels, and their sports package had the odd sports that I would never be interested in. When I tried to cancel my remaining contract they informed me that since I order one DVR box I automatically commited to a two year contract...the sales person never told me that.

So I'm stuck with crappy BH and I can't wait to leave them.

#34 : June 13, 2008, 11:59:38 AM

Both of which will casue such an uproar in the Bay area community the lines will be buzzing at Brighthouse...because they missed a Bucs game because they refuse to back down

Brighthouse has been fortunate that the NFL has not scheduled a game on NFL Network yet for the Bucs...and if the NFL really wanted to shaft them they would schedule a regular season game between a big divison opponent (New Orleans/Carolina) right in the middle of a playoff/division push just to turn up the heat on Brighthouse even more

This would turn people against BH even more...I think this could happen sooner than later if BH doesnt act

Now why would people turn on BH. Seems like the NFL is the agitator. They should be pissed at the NFL. :confused:

Its because BH is the one of the only companies slamming the door to the NFL Network completly and in an NFL market is CRAZY to not offer your subscribers access to NFL FILMS, Combine, Total Access...also they are hampering those (like one post above me) from getting FiOS because of shady contracts and coverage areas...they provide sub par service and tie hands of people who dont want dish but want FiOS

The NFL puts the product out there its up to Brighthouse to carry it...they chose not to in favor of in what they say "The best intrest of the subscribers" But if they ask their subscribers I m positive 75-80 % would want itn and would be willing to pay 25 cents a month more for it

This is why everyone is turning on Brighthouse

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#35 : June 13, 2008, 12:16:10 PM

Rowdie:

Check out the TIVO Community Forums for answers to your questions. You'll find a ton of info there.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#36 : June 13, 2008, 12:25:03 PM

The game would be shown locally....or at least this has been the case with any games on NFLN thus far.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

germanbuc

Second String

#37 : June 13, 2008, 12:47:53 PM

First things first, BHn is not totally at fault for not having NFLN, because BHN can not negotiate with NFLN directly, this is still done by your old TIME WARNER and as long as TW has no agreement BHN will have none, so any suggestion BHN is responsible, is NOT true, TW is the culprit. That takes the Tampa NFL market out of the equation. TW is prepared to distribute NFLN, but only as part of a special sports tier, meaning you will have to pay extra to get NFLN together withe the likes of tennis chanel, bowling and whichever sports network they can come up with. NFLN wants to be paid accordingly if they are part of the sports tier, not the 0.15 to 0.35 $ buy approx $3.00 per subscriber, and this is the point MONEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!
I have switched from BHN to FIOS and I am not looking back. The argument of Baynews9 and the weather on the nines, I have a few local 24 hour weather channels on FIOS.
The myth that Direct TV has more HD content than anybody else is weak at best. The Direct TV HD content is super compressed, in the industry it is called LIGHT HD and not comparable with FIOS HD picture quality which is a lot better. FIOS does not compress anything they just pass through what they get from the different channels, Direct TV compresses that further.
FIOS will have a lot more HD contend in the next few month, Tampa Bay will go all digital around August 18, 2008 and a few weeks later there will be about 25 more HD channnels, by the end of the year beginning next year FIOS will have more than 100 HD channels

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#38 : June 13, 2008, 12:50:25 PM

FIOS > BH

Now that might be a big enough reason to make the change for some BUT for me it was.  I am happy I am in the 21st century and future proof.

Just don't like dealing with verizon's customer service.   [banghead]

germanbuc

Second String

#39 : June 13, 2008, 12:54:03 PM

Just don't like dealing with verizon's customer service.   [banghead]

Hey you should have your own PAM by now, I have a nice lady, I call her and let her deal with it, if it is technical she contacts FIOS tech and he then calls me, no waiting.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#40 : June 13, 2008, 01:11:16 PM

Just don't like dealing with verizon's customer service. [banghead]

Hey you should have your own PAM by now, I have a nice lady, I call her and let her deal with it, if it is technical she contacts FIOS tech and he then calls me, no waiting.

Yeah....Verizon's customer service was abominable.....I cannot stress how poor it was....amongst the most frustrating things I've ever had to go through. If you had a problem you were locking yourself into a 2 to 3 hour battle with them.

Since the advent of the PAM it's gotten better.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 13, 2008, 01:15:48 PM

From an insider to FIOS.

The Home Media DVR is 19.99/month.  If you put that on your main TV and use the plain vanilla Standard Digital Set Top Box for 5.99/month or the Hd version for 9.99 if you have several HD TVs, then you can watch all the programming, recorded or otherwise on all the TVs 24/7  watch something else and record on your main set at the same time.  I don't know why anyone would want DVRs on all sets...but that's the way it sounds from reading some of the posts.

Assuming the HMDVR for main set, and medium tier speed (15mgb download to 20 in some areas) and the Freedom Essential
unlimited long distance calling, it will cost you approx $130 for one TV add 5.99 for each additional.  Add 15.99 for HBO, 14.99 for
45 Movie Channels including Showtime, Starz, etc.  7.99 for extra sports package that has all college games across country i.e. Pack Ten, Big East, MidAtlantic etc.

You can have VZ tech add Tivo hookup and it will work ok.  Some people have Bose speakers added...

However, once VZ installs they take your copper wire and you can't get it back.  It's gone.  So if you want the benefits
of the unlimited calling AND the copper wire (won't go out in power outage) you must tell them that you have to keep the
copper for your new alarm system.  Also, you can't change phone services then.

However, VZ service is not very good. There are a lot of poorly trained Techie on their phones and customer service lines if you can even get them and not be put on hold for ever...VZ bought out their older experienced employees and hired cheaper ones to replace them.  Some of the contract installers have been less than desirable.

You cannot just get internet and tv without the phone and the triple play package is priced best with all three services.

And here is a goodie:  if you have the verizon triple play installed, you can call and ask for the "ultimate play" to get an
additional discount on your verizon wireless cell phone account.

nothing is perfect so pick your poison.  BH internet dies daily at 4 pm when kids come home.  Goes out all the time along with the
TV but their service is awesome and is less expensive.

Any other questions?  Ask me.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#42 : June 13, 2008, 02:04:49 PM

I don't know why anyone would want DVRs on all sets...but that's the way it sounds from reading some of the posts.

Simple! Several reasons:

First, you cannot program the HMDVR to record from one of the remote set-top boxes. You can only view the pre-recorded video already recorded on the HMDVR.  To program the HMDVR, you have to program it at the box. That means if someone is watching a live program on a set-top box, they can't press their "RECORD" button to record that show.

Second, you cannot pause/FF/rewind live TV with the remote set-top boxes. Therefore, if my kids are watching a show or a movie on their sets in their rooms and I tell them (for instance) to go walk the dogs, they couldn't pause what they're watching and come back to it after taking care of the pets.

Third, you are limited to the amount of storage on the single DVR to service all the recording wants of EVERYONE in the house. Each of my kids has their own list of shows they want to record, and my wife and I watch other stuff with no with crossover with what the kids watch at all. HD fills up the DVR very quickly. We had the HMDVR setup for exactly one day, and it filled up completely in that day. The next day FIOS was back at my house with four DVR's and we gave them back the set-top boxes.

Fourth, the difference in price for us between the HD set-top box and the DVR was $5.00 a month ($9.99 vs $14.99). $5.00 is nothing for the functionality and storage capacity gained and the relief of the frustration over the limitations of the HMDVR.

And let's not even talk about the issues raised regarding VOD and the HMDVR and four different people who want to view four different things.

#43 : June 13, 2008, 03:17:24 PM

Great move! FIOS is really awesome, i've enjoyed it for over a year now-problem free and best cable and internet service i've ever had. 8)

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 13, 2008, 03:32:03 PM

From an insider to FIOS.

The Home Media DVR is 19.99/month.  If you put that on your main TV and use the plain vanilla Standard Digital Set Top Box for 5.99/month or the Hd version for 9.99 if you have several HD TVs, then you can watch all the programming, recorded or otherwise on all the TVs 24/7  watch something else and record on your main set at the same time.  I don't know why anyone would want DVRs on all sets...but that's the way it sounds from reading some of the posts.

Assuming the HMDVR for main set, and medium tier speed (15mgb download to 20 in some areas) and the Freedom Essential
unlimited long distance calling, it will cost you approx $130 for one TV add 5.99 for each additional.  Add 15.99 for HBO, 14.99 for
45 Movie Channels including Showtime, Starz, etc.  7.99 for extra sports package that has all college games across country i.e. Pack Ten, Big East, MidAtlantic etc.

You can have VZ tech add Tivo hookup and it will work ok.  Some people have Bose speakers added...

However, once VZ installs they take your copper wire and you can't get it back.  It's gone.  So if you want the benefits
of the unlimited calling AND the copper wire (won't go out in power outage) you must tell them that you have to keep the
copper for your new alarm system.  Also, you can't change phone services then.

However, VZ service is not very good. There are a lot of poorly trained Techie on their phones and customer service lines if you can even get them and not be put on hold for ever...VZ bought out their older experienced employees and hired cheaper ones to replace them.  Some of the contract installers have been less than desirable.

You cannot just get internet and tv without the phone and the triple play package is priced best with all three services.

And here is a goodie:  if you have the verizon triple play installed, you can call and ask for the "ultimate play" to get an
additional discount on your verizon wireless cell phone account.

nothing is perfect so pick your poison.  BH internet dies daily at 4 pm when kids come home.  Goes out all the time along with the
TV but their service is awesome and is less expensive.

Any other questions?  Ask me.

I have to ask what makes you an insider? 

I'm having a hard time getting your takes to jive with things I know to be true.   You can definitely have voip via verison fios and still have an old school phone line from the phone company. They're two totally separate services running on totally different networks. You may need to to keep the two networks separated in your house but that's not tough. You may not be able to have voip and voice over the same wires.

I also know people who have just broad band service and tv and broadband and no voip. So that doesn't seem right either. Is that something they might have changed in say the past year?

I want a dvr on all sets because I may want to record more then two shows at a time. IN fact I know I do, and so does everyone else I know irl.  I may also want more space. I haven't met anyone IRL that was happy with the server client set up. Every last one has either changed or is about to change to multiple dvrs. This group is roughly 10  people.

You're trying to tell me verizon steals the coper out of my house?  No way that's the case. Do you mean they use the current coper wiring for voip and voice and voip can't go over the same wires? 

Good thing I don't need their weak arse tech support.  I've yet to find decent tech support from any competing company. And my wire rats are usually much better then theirs. Shoot, my nephue is a better wire rat then most of the guys that come out.

thanks.

*edit*  I tried out vonage for about ten minutes. Seems to me I could have both voip and regular phones on the same coper. Don't know why vz voip would fall short of that.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I had finally had enough of Brighthouse « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools