Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Refs fixing sports? « previous next »
Page: 1

jameswilder

Starter

: June 10, 2008, 08:50:47 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8231176/Report:-Donaghy-says-refs-fixed-playoff-series

I've followed this story for over a year now, and all you seem to get is the Donaghy side of the story. You know major sports leagues, NBA,MLB and NFL are wishing this story would just go away. Even the NCAA, they just want the wagering issue to away like it never happens, but if this ref is correct in his claims, there is a whole can of worms to be unearthed here.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy- B. Franklin.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 10, 2008, 10:26:40 PM

When it comes to the NBA, I believe it.

Seen too many shady things over the years to not, and I am not normally a conspiracy theory type guy.

#2 : June 10, 2008, 10:29:32 PM

Have been following this today and the NBA has trouble on their hands. What I really hate is that TNT isn't broadcasting so I could hear Barkley's views on the subject.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 10, 2008, 10:35:42 PM

Have been following this today and the NBA has trouble on their hands. What I really hate is that TNT isn't broadcasting so I could hear Barkley's views on the subject.

Barkley probably would sugar coat it.

I know he normally speaks his mind, but his best interest now is for the NBA to be in good standing...that is his paycheck, talking about their games. If the validity of NBA games comes in to question, people stop watching and stop showing up, that is less money and/or no job for him.

I don't think he would be too critical in this situation.

#4 : June 10, 2008, 10:46:45 PM

He lit into the NBA a couple of weeks ago when they came out and admitted they should've called a foul on a game ending shot. He called them something along the lines of a bunch of dumbazzes.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 10, 2008, 10:52:07 PM

He lit into the NBA a couple of weeks ago when they came out and admitted they should've called a foul on a game ending shot. He called them something along the lines of a bunch of dumbazzes.

Dumbasses for admitting it, or dumbasses for not calling it?

#6 : June 10, 2008, 11:12:55 PM

for admitting it

LFO

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 10, 2008, 11:24:40 PM

I think admitting botched calls is admirable....next best thing to doing something about it anyway.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 11, 2008, 03:05:36 AM

I think admitting botched calls is admirable....next best thing to doing something about it anyway.

I've always wanted to know... One...What's the average pay for Ref work in NBA, NFL, etc.? I'm sure it changes, depending on how long they've been working, and what league they are in. Two..Are theyre contracts dictated in the same manner as most players? Mainly having to be randomly drug tested and whatnot as well..

Imo these guys have to be kept in check even moreso than the actual players. I hope fans don't get that feeling that everything's "staged". When I was younger I didn't think WWF, or GLOW (needs to come back) was fake. After I found out it was...I just stopped watching.

I have to say, I'd still watch GLOW again if it were on TV. Now THAT was a sport that didn't matter if the ref was bad. It actually was a good thing if the female ref was "bad".

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 11, 2008, 03:10:03 AM

I don't think there's any doubt the NFL fixed that Bucs vs Rams playoff game and also the one against the Colts where they called Simeon Rice for jumping.   Absolutely fixed.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 11, 2008, 08:04:09 AM

That NBA Western final in 2002, game 6, was a total sham at the end. Kobe Bryant committed at least 2 offensive fouls and ended up shooting foul shots to "beat" Sacramento. Whether it was fixed or just normal NBA "star treatment", we can speculate ad nauseam, but it was some of the worst officiating I'd ever seen!! And I'm not a fan of either team... 

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 11, 2008, 08:06:59 AM

And how about Dungy's Colts' miracle comeback against the Bucs? How could the refs miss that onside kick play?? Colts should NOT have been given the ball back!!

LFO

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 11, 2008, 05:41:33 PM

I always felt the most recent Pitt SB win was shady......

Not sure if fixed, but definitely a poorly called game IMO.

If I were a Seattle fan, I'd be steamed about it.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

#13 : June 13, 2008, 05:37:45 PM

It was impossible to believe that ref's were  impartial in the first place.

im sure they have there fav team, heck if I ref'd a bucs game  the final score would be 100 to 3 with 150 yds in penalties and ejected the whole 1st string

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Refs fixing sports? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools