Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You guys spend too much time in Disney World « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: June 14, 2008, 05:45:30 PM

Because I dont know how you think McCown is battletested enough to be named the starter in week 1. It's important to start off the season on a winning note otherwise we end up playing catch-up for the rest of the year.

I think the Bucs will resolve the Garcia issue before TC and he'll be the starter for at least 1 more year. Luke and Griese will fight it out for #2. And next year MAYBE Luke can look at a starting oppertunity.

I mean we got plenty of cap room for this year that wont be used. Just give Gacia an extra few million for 1 more year. If he gets the team to the post-season again, it will be worth it. If he doesn't we'll cut him loose and move on.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 14, 2008, 05:50:37 PM

Bucs will sign Garcia to a 1 year extension, giving him an increase in pay.  They realize he isn't the future, but they also realize he makes them a competitive ball club and adding a year to his deal is nothing unreasonable.  Garcia will be the starter this year, and next year he will COMPETE to be the starter, but its most likely he will start for us next year as well.

Griese is still under contract for next season and I think we will retain him as the #2 QB.

Luke McCown's contract is up come next off-season and I doubt we resign him.  If anything, we will give him a 1 year deal to try and make our ball club, but he may decide to test the free agent market after he spends this season as the #3 QB.  McCown knows he is nothing special and will probably be content with being a #3 QB with us. 

I see the Bucs either drafting a QB HIGH next year or giving Josh Johnson that #3 QB next year.

Some people give McCown too much credit and some dont give him enough, which I guess is me; but I certainly think I'm more on the sane side than those that think he is better than Garcia.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 14, 2008, 05:51:34 PM

I'm not sold on McCown, but I'm far from happy with Garcia.
I think McCown could get us those 13 TD's, but he'd have far more than 4 pics
double edged sword

I mostly agree with your post though

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 14, 2008, 05:55:28 PM

yea Buc Wylde...Garcia certainly isn't going to toss 30 TDs for us like he did with the 49ers....but if he can win games for us, then I dont care how many TDs he tosses.  Of course, I'd like him to toss more TDs, but if he doesnt turn the ball over and can keep making plays with his legs/arm....he is just fine.

Also if you work it out, if McCown was given the same amount of attempts as Garcia, for the amount of TDs he throws per attempt, McCown would have thrown 12 TDs and 7 INTs last year.  Of course you can't do that because this is assuming McCown is playing the Saints, Panthers, 49ers, and Texans all season and we all know he'd would have to play some tough teams like Seattle, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Tennesee, Washington, etc.

#4 : June 14, 2008, 05:56:54 PM

IMO, Luke would get us 20+ tds... i'm willing to live with his growing pains.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 14, 2008, 06:21:07 PM

yet, nothing to back up that opinion.  He threw a touchdown for every 27.8 attempts last year.  Garcia wasn't much better, BUT still BETTER, throwing 1 TD for every 25.1 attempts.  Also, McCown didn't face some tough Ds like Garcia faced.

McCown faced the 30th pass D(New Orleans), 25th pass D(Houston), 22nd pass D(San Fransisco), and 17th pass D(Carolina).  He faced, on average, a 23.5 pass D.

Again, I respect your opinion, but McCown couldn't even match Garcia's Monsterous TD numbers last season as far as TDs per attempt and he didn't even face a pass D like the Colts(2nd), Titans(10), or Jaguars(15).

As far as tossing TDs, McCown really isn't that far behind Garcia; but when it comes to turnovers and sacks, there's no comparison...Jeff Garcia is the guy

bryan12112

Starter

#6 : June 14, 2008, 07:09:38 PM

Didn't McCown also only play in one game with the starting offense? The New Orleans game. I'm not saying he is the answer, but we'll need to see a lot more on him before making a final decision either way.

drxxx

Practice Squad

#7 : June 14, 2008, 07:37:43 PM

I bet garcia is going to want a 3 year contract so he can set out the last year or two and buy a boat and go fishing

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 14, 2008, 07:59:53 PM

Didn't McCown also only play in one game with the starting offense? The New Orleans game. I'm not saying he is the answer, but we'll need to see a lot more on him before making a final decision either way.

What about Houston game?  Also many of the starters were in for both the SF and Car games, but I will give you your point since Galloway and Graham were not in...but they were in for the Houston game.

#9 : June 14, 2008, 08:54:26 PM

What about Houston game? Also many of the starters were in for both the SF and Car games, but I will give you your point since Galloway and Graham were not in...but they were in for the Houston game.

Lets be serious here..... if Galloway and Graham didn't play, our starters weren't in. In the one game with a full arsenal, Luke showed a lil sumthin sumthin. In Garcia's 12 or so games, I wasn't impressed. And IMO, it ain't gonna get any better.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#10 : June 14, 2008, 09:48:16 PM

WHY do you think Griese was brought in...because Gruden saw what happened when Luke didn't have all the plays scripted for him like in N.O. when they had no film on him...lucky break we won that game...he didn't win any more though...and the turnovers and sacks he took were very telling....Luke can run fast and throw the ball better then anybody on our team...but he don't have the savvy,that even Griese has...and I can't stand SOB...but at least he can audible...Garcia is the best qb the Bucs ever had...but hes battered and this may be his last good year...and next year hopefully hes splitting time with Josh Johnson who may be the future a lot sooner then people think.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 15, 2008, 12:50:43 AM

I wouldn't.    I don't think Luke is going to be a good NFL QB.   Why waste time suffering with his poor play?   Let's look elsewhere for the future and start Garcia now.

#12 : June 15, 2008, 01:54:57 AM

I wouldn't.    I don't think Luke is going to be a good NFL QB.   Why waste time suffering with his poor play?   Let's look elsewhere for the future and start Garcia now.

He definitely has the potential to be a good one.  I think he'll reach it, but we'll never know if he doesn't get a long look in real games.  Preseason can probably tell us if he's clearly NOT going to make it, but it can't tell us that he WILL.  If he's looking sharp in the preseason I feel we need to give him a shot.  Otherwise what is the plan when father time's arm falls off?  Griese in '09 and hope JJ becomes the man?  And if he doesn't, who do we draft in 2010?  How long are we gonna go on like this?

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 15, 2008, 11:56:44 AM

may the best man win...

You must be accountable for your actions!

MBF

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 15, 2008, 12:09:27 PM

Why waste time suffering with his poor play?
Put up with the short-term pain for the long-term gain.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You guys spend too much time in Disney World « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools