Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GRUDEN, ALLEN ON THIN ICE? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: December 16, 2006, 11:17:38 AM

From PFT, so take it with a grain of salt:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

GRUDEN, ALLEN ON THIN ICE?

There's talk in league circles that Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden and G.M. Bruce Allen are in danger of being fired after a disastrous 2006 season.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, ownership is frustrated with the team's regression, and there's a sense that Gruden has not done enough to keep and/or return the team to the elite level that it enjoyed in his first season with the team.

If Gruden goes, will he get another gig?  Philly fans were intrigued by the possibility of bringing him on board when word circulated of Gruden's interest in other jobs a couple of weeks ago, but the Eagles have turned it around of late. 

The book on Gruden is that he can energize an organization for a year or two, but that his "always pissed off at the world" act eventually wears thin.

Recently, Allen gave Gruden a "vote of confidence."  To the trained eye, however, it was a meaningless gesture; despite the titles, Allen works for Gruden, not the other way around.

And here's an intriguing possibility.  If the Colts go 0-1 in the playoffs (again), could Indy owner Jim Irsay be tempted to pull a Dungy-for-Gruden swap?  Five years ago, the Bucs nudged our Dungy and replaced him with Gruden, who scored the team's first Super Bowl appearance and victory in his first season.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 16, 2006, 11:46:20 AM

Dungy would never come back here.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 16, 2006, 11:47:17 AM

Hell has frozen over.  I agree.  8)

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 16, 2006, 11:47:45 AM

GOOD !! 

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 16, 2006, 12:31:37 PM

Oh my god! Who wrote that? A 15 year old?

As you all can plainly see, the Dungy love fest continues.

For some reason, many fans around Tampa still can't come to terms with reality that Tony Dungy is no longer the head coach and that he is not coming back.
With an offense that is averaging under 10 points a game, the last thing this team needs is to fire Gruden and bring in a defensive-minded coach.

#5 : December 16, 2006, 12:33:30 PM

Who would you guys like? I myself would give anyone and a few highrounders for Sean Payton or take a chance w/ a young guy (what can we lose?)

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 16, 2006, 12:39:24 PM

There really is only one coach out there that I'd want if Gruden were to leave. That guy is Charlie Weis and he's got his dream job. After that, I don't really see another offensive minded coach that really excites me.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 16, 2006, 12:40:19 PM

Who would you guys like? I myself would give anyone and a few highrounders for Sean Payton or take a chance w/ a young guy (what can we lose?)
No because right now this town and the media are demanding instant success. They will not be happy no matter what coach comes in here. This team has a lot of work to do. The offensive line is not coming together. The defense is old and getting slower. And we need a QB. That all cannot be accomplished in a single offseason. It will be 2 or 3 years before this is a playoff team again. And the fans don't want to wait. So no matter what coach is brought in, he will never be able to meet the expectations.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 16, 2006, 12:44:07 PM

No because right now this town and the media are demanding instant success. They will not be happy no matter what coach comes in here. This team has a lot of work to do. The offensive line is not coming together. The defense is old and getting slower. And we need a QB. That all cannot be accomplished in a single offseason. It will be 2 or 3 years before this is a playoff team again. And the fans don't want to wait. So no matter what coach is brought in, he will never be able to meet the expectations.

I will disagree with this somewhat.  I don't think anyone is expecting instant success next year.  I think people want to see a team that is competetive and showing improvement, which should be achievable in one offseason.

#9 : December 16, 2006, 12:44:54 PM

I agree cyberdude557, but do you believe that Gruden is the man that can  get us back to a playoff team? I for one dont feel real confident about that! [banghead]

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#10 : December 16, 2006, 12:51:18 PM

I agree cyberdude557, but do you believe that Gruden is the man that can  get us back to a playoff team? I for one dont feel real confident about that! [banghead]

Why?? Didn't he have a young offense there last year. Next year will be a soft last place schedule with finally alot to work with financially and draft wise. I can't see any other than Gruden who could back there in an offseason. Maybe a Weiss type guy but that likely won't happen Weiss just signed a huge extension and his son starts at ND next year I believe

Larry Brackins

Starter
#11 : December 16, 2006, 12:56:45 PM

I love Gruden for the Super Bowl, but he could mess up our franchise for a long time if we let him spend our money and picks.

It's time to move on.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 16, 2006, 01:01:25 PM

As I said in another thread, Gruden isn't getting fired. Out of the five years he's been here he's had one SB and 2 years of severe injuries and 1 average year and one playoff year. That's not as terrible as we make it out to sound. Nobody could have done anything with the injury destroyed team of 2003 and this year isn't any better. I just wish he would plan a little better depth wise for years like this. He seems to set his mind on certain players, who many times turn out to be **CENSORED**ty, and never looks back. By the way, has anyone noticed that Indy's run defense hasn't gotten better, but actually worse now that they have Booger???? They've also lost 3 of 4 games with him. Talk about a locker room killer. I can't stand Booger McFarland. I'm going to start a website. He really sucks. Oh, and he sucks at golf too.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#13 : December 16, 2006, 01:10:54 PM

I wish he would plan a little depth as well. But is that what we are seeing now on the DL and LBing cores. We've seen some depth come to fruition on the OL as well. Also if Buchannon is coming around we are seeing it there. Also have seen it in the safety ranks with Pearson show some glimmers of hope. Why we haven't seen it in the WR ranks and why Stovall has not been added in puzzles me. Also think we should be seeing some Zemaitis too. Is he injured at all??? I mean they haven't even activated him with all the secondary troubles. Anyone have a inside scoop on him. I was very pleased we drated him, but he has been invisible.

The main problem with our depth is pre Gruden-- with all the lost or wasted draft picks there was absolutely no one in the pipeline. And quite frankly while the depth guys have shown glimmers -- i sure wouldn't trust any to start yet. Except Ruud and I would love to see what Stovall and Zemaitis have.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 16, 2006, 02:15:40 PM

He should be on thin ice but not fired. Gruden will turn this around next season.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GRUDEN, ALLEN ON THIN ICE? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools