Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Time for Players to Be Heard « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
: December 16, 2006, 03:42:00 PM

The local fishwrap has called for Gruden to be fired.  However biased they are, they put it out there.  The fans have started to call for him to be fired, fueled by one fatass radio talk show host.  Whether they are right or not, and I happen to think they are not, the fans are speaking out.

There is one very important group of people who have yet to be heard:  The players. 

And there is no ignoring.  Silence will speak volumes, it will say more than any amount of words could ever say.  We need to hear from the players.  A few players shouldn't be listened to.  Alstott, Gradkowski, Rice, Kelly.  We know Alstott and a few others aren't big Gruden fans, but they won't be here anyway next year. Gradkowski is tied to the hip of Gruden and I don't think Grad's opinion will be any kind of indicator.

Caddy, Clayton, Joseph, Trueblood.  Gruden brought you in to be the building blocks.  You are his guys.  What do you have to say?  Ronde, Derrick, Ruud do you think Gruden is the guy to turn it around?

The players have two choices:   

1) Come out and tell the Buccaneers fans and media IN NO UNCERTAIN HALFASS TERMS that "We want another year to prove ourselves!  Give Gruden another year. Give us another year. We are going to turn this thing around.  We believe in Coach...."

2) Say very little, hedge around, hem and haw.  Or just stay silent.
The affect of that will be to throw the coach under the bus.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 16, 2006, 03:49:41 PM

Regardless of what they think now, they will all be on board for the start of a new season next year.   The offseason does wonders to heal the wounds of a bad season.    I think if you asked them their thoughts now and then asked them again right before the season next year, the responses would be drastically different.   The Glazers just need to decide which direction they think is right.   I think if they fired Gruden, they would be getting rid of one of the best coaches in the NFL.    I believe they realize that as well.    The only way they fire Gruden is if they want to put a band aide on losing season ticket holders.   But that decision would likely lead to less season tickets sold in the future since the team wouldn't be as successful without Gruden (in my opinion).

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#2 : December 16, 2006, 03:52:43 PM

The way the players have played sure seems to suggest they could care less if Gruden is fired or not. 

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 16, 2006, 03:54:27 PM

I don't think Gruden has 'lost' the lockerroom yet, but I also don't think the players are that bothered about him either.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#4 : December 16, 2006, 05:02:01 PM

The way the players have played sure seems to suggest they could care less if Gruden is fired or not. 
They might not be making the splash plays but appear to be playing hard, gang tackling, linging to the extra yard.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 16, 2006, 04:42:47 PM

I don't agree, because I think they are bad due to a lack of knowledge or experience or talent or injury or whatever.  But I don't think they are playing poorly because they don't care or they don't like the coach.  I don't think they will come out and beat the Bears or anybody else just to save the coach, because they can't.

But they can speak up.  Brooks and Barber's words carry a lot of weight.  Their reputations are rock solid.  They know whats really going on with the team.  They aren't getting their viewpoint from second or third hand information.  They aren't going to whine and complain.  But they have to know at this point that their coach could be on the chopping block, and what they say or don't say whether its to the public or just to the Glazers, will have a lot of weight.

And Caddy and Joseph, they are brought in to be the future of this team by Jon Gruden. If Gruden's hand picked building block players don't stand up for him, something is really wrong either with Gruden or with those players. Either way it comes back to Gruden.

I think that up to this point the players did the right thing by staying out of the fray and minding to the business of winning...er playing football.  But that has all changed. Sometime in the next couple weeks those players need to either speak up or stay silent and let the vultures commence with their meal.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 16, 2006, 05:06:45 PM

you're not watching the same team I am. They're playing hard but the talent level isn't there yet. Gruden hasn't lost anyone.

ICHT: I don't agree that staying silent is a bad thing. It shows, to me, that the players don't give a rat's ass what the media thinks about them or Gruden.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 16, 2006, 07:21:48 PM

I'm not going to speculate the players opinion. I will say that if they are playing to save Gruden's job, they aren't very convincing.
OK but "they" includes Derrick Brooks and Ronde Barber.  If they publicly called for the fans to have patience and give Gruden another year would that make a difference to you?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 16, 2006, 06:23:22 PM

I'm not going to speculate the players opinion.  I will say that if they are playing to save Gruden's job, they aren't very convincing.

#9 : December 16, 2006, 06:26:35 PM

You beat me to it.

For the record, Galloway was on with Rock Reilly a few nights ago and said there is no other coach he'd rather play for.

frankbuc

Second String
#10 : December 16, 2006, 07:58:24 PM

I'm not going to speculate the players opinion. I will say that if they are playing to save Gruden's job, they aren't very convincing.
OK but "they" includes Derrick Brooks and Ronde Barber. If they publicly called for the fans to have patience and give Gruden another year would that make a difference to you?
personally anything those 2 say about this team...makes alot of difference...think to alot of fans it would help....but I personally believe he should stay either way

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 16, 2006, 09:31:05 PM

OK but "they" includes Derrick Brooks and Ronde Barber.  If they publicly called for the fans to have patience and give Gruden another year would that make a difference to you?

Absolutely, if 'they' would translate their support into effort.  If I'm laying blame on anyone, it has to start with the leaders in the locker room.  Maybe Brooks is hurt, maybe Barber is just average without Kelly/Lynch, but their effort this season has been far below average for pro-bowlers. 

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 16, 2006, 09:47:48 PM

You beat me to it.

For the record, Galloway was on with Rock Reilly a few nights ago and said there is no other coach he'd rather play for.

I don't know if that is necessarily a true indicator or not. The Bucs didn't want to see Tony Dungy get fired in 2001 and thanks to the St. Petersburg Times – which ran the story of the Bucs would fire Dungy and were set to hire Bill Parcells on the morning of the NFC Wild Card game – they knew that was a real possibility and the players choked and rolled over in a 31-6 debacle at Philadelphia.

There was not a man that wanted to throw Dungy under the bus and get him fired and they had the chance to do something about and didn't. Had the Bucs beat the Eagles and won the next round and advanced into the NFC Championship Game, Dungy would not have been fired. The players knew that and didn't do anything about it – yet it didn't mean that they wanted to see Dungy go.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 16, 2006, 10:29:24 PM

You beat me to it.

I don't know if that is necessarily a true indicator or not. The Bucs didn't want to see Tony Dungy get fired in 2001 and thanks to the St. Petersburg Times – which ran the story of the Bucs would fire Dungy and were set to hire Bill Parcells on the morning of the NFC Wild Card game – they knew that was a real possibility and the players choked and rolled over in a 31-6 debacle at Philadelphia.

There was not a man that wanted to throw Dungy under the bus and get him fired and they had the chance to do something about and didn't. Had the Bucs beat the Eagles and won the next round and advanced into the NFC Championship Game, Dungy would not have been fired. The players knew that and didn't do anything about it – yet it didn't mean that they wanted to see Dungy go.

SR- I agree totally.  I really liked Dungy when he was the coach.  Heck, what was there not to like?  But he didn't have what it took to get the Bucs to the next level and Gruden did; MOTIVATION!!  Que the Turtle/Dungy & the Rabbit/Gruden. 
Also, the Bucs did lose to one heck of a super talented team in the Eagles in both the 2000 & 2001 seasons.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#14 : December 16, 2006, 11:12:32 PM

The players may be playing hard but they're playing poorly.  These guys are professionals paid to do their jobs and cumulatively they haven't which has been a huge part of the lost season.  simms came out laying eggs when everybody believe the guy was ready to improve from last year and they gave him every chance to do so.  Clayton drops TD's.  Galloway drops too many.  The defense stinks it up right from the first drive of the season.

They're not buying what Gruden is selling.  My own opinion is these guys should play well for their own sake but apparently the coach really does have to inspire them to do more than cash their checks.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Time for Players to Be Heard « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools