Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Second-year safety hungers to start for Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#15 : June 20, 2008, 01:45:34 PM

I'm too wanna see the kid develop to be a cornerstone but I seriously doubt the Bucs laying all thier eggs into Sabby's by trading away Flip.

Flip being in his last year and us not getting any value in return if he leaves via FA in 2009 doesn't concern me as much as having just Allen and Wilson as depth backing up the inexperience of Piscatelli in the year that matters 2008.

#16 : June 20, 2008, 01:47:05 PM

I think this is all premature...   Flip in a contract year vs Sabby    I can't wait for TC.  

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#17 : June 20, 2008, 01:56:13 PM

And his days at Oregan St. helped you draw such a conclusion? I think some of you (bucpimpin) need to remember that having more talent athletically, mentally or a combo of both doesn't always translate into the pads and onto the football field.

Right now Jermaine Phillips is a better NFL football player than Sabby Piscatelli and Sabby shouldn't be the starter at SS on Week1 unless Flip gets injured or falls flat on his face. Which I highly doubt the latter will happen.

obuc

Starter

#18 : June 20, 2008, 02:20:22 PM

We are pretty loaded at the defensive back positions in general. lot of competition there. 

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 20, 2008, 02:37:27 PM

We kicked Lynch to the curb for a young Flip, who says this won't be the same?  Hey like I said I like Flip, but he's in for a fight.  That's for sure...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#20 : June 20, 2008, 02:38:21 PM

Sabby will be allright. He just needs to keep workin hard he will be in there soon.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 21, 2008, 10:09:38 PM

Sabby's got no shot to start with Phillips, Jackson, and McCown ahead of him on the depth chart..

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 21, 2008, 09:39:48 PM

good kid ... he'll get his shot sooner than later ... just don't think it's this year.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 21, 2008, 09:41:00 PM

He'll get his chance.  Very rare to have both safeties play all year without injuries. Look at Bob Sanders, Mike Brown of the Bears, Harrison at NE, Pittsburg had injuries.  Safties take some big hits as well as giving big hits. Having more than 2 quality safeties is a great problem to have. His time will come, probably sooner rather than later.  Assuming he stays healthy.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 21, 2008, 09:24:11 PM

Hey Chev,

I like Sabby a lot, but we are not going to trade Flip as IG says and it would be foolish to do so at this time IMO. Flip had a very good year last season but if Sabby is as good as many people think he'll either win the job away from Flip and Flip will be a quality backup or more likely Flip will retain his starting position this season with Sabby close on his heels and then the Bucs will let Flip go at the end of his contract and put a well groomed Sabby in his place much as we did with Quarles and Ruud.

I want to see Sabby push Flip hard this TC, but I think he'll still benefit from another season as the backup playing 10-15% of the game snaps. After all, even though he's got the playbook down now, he really doesn't have much experience playing the Safety position in the NFL.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#25 : June 21, 2008, 06:44:05 PM

Bad example Chev and you know it. Lynch wasn't in his prime and there were many questions regarding his neck. Flip is 100% healthy and coming off his best season. If anybody's in for a "fight" for playing time it is undoubtedly Sabby.

Aric

Starter

#26 : June 22, 2008, 04:47:01 PM

I'm super glad we drafted both safeties that year... Really made a big difference with our depth there and helps ST play.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 22, 2008, 05:41:37 PM

All I'm saying fella's is don't be surprised...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 22, 2008, 06:01:08 PM

I'm sorry but some of you are grossly underrating Sabby. I personally believe Sabby playing average speed is better than Flip at his best. Sabby is greatly a more talented player.

agree I hated him and his team at OSU, but he was an animal in college. Do I think he will start this year, probably not. But IMO he will in 2 years.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 22, 2008, 07:55:17 PM

Didn't Sabby talk to Chris Simms at all? I mean, he'd better be careful what he wishes for. Simms told the media going into the pre-season game against Miami that he was really anxious to get some reps in that game, then recently he said that he wasn't up to playing and felt "pressured" by Gruden to get in that game.

It really sucks to have a coach who wants you to play in games when you say you want to play in games.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Second-year safety hungers to start for Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools