Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Caddy "Learn" to catch « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
: June 20, 2008, 12:07:01 PM

So with all this time rehabbing the knee... ya think its possible the guy has improved at catching the ball. Is this a skill guys either simply have or do not have? I just don't see a great future here for him even healthy if the guy cannot catch the ball out ofnthe backfield. Thoughts?

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#1 : June 20, 2008, 12:57:16 PM

If he works at it nonstop there is no reason why he cant "learn to catch". Practice makes perfect.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#2 : June 20, 2008, 01:01:16 PM

they should have him catch 500 passes a day.

#3 : June 20, 2008, 01:43:21 PM

What did Gruden say?   "...repetition is the mother of all learning..."   Yeah,  like 4Bucs said...  right now he should be...

Madman

Hall of Famer
#4 : June 20, 2008, 01:57:13 PM

I'm a Caddy fan - but the reason he struggles catching the ball ain't gonna change. He has small hands.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 20, 2008, 02:12:45 PM

I couldn't catch anything til my freshman year... just practiced every day with my friends and team, still can only catch bullets half the time

thanson

Starter

#6 : June 20, 2008, 02:47:33 PM

Sure...put gorilla glue on his hands

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#7 : June 20, 2008, 02:51:00 PM

I seriously doubt he can. He's been practicing ever since he got here and isn't any better. Also, it's not like he's being asked to make hard catches. The stuff he's dropping is stuff most of us catch regularly when we're playing in the park. Little floaters into your hands don't take mad skillz to hold onto. If hew was gonna "get it" it would have happened by now...

^^I love this type of asshatery that you find on almost every fan message board^^

Damn near everyone thinks they can make the simplest catch if they were in the professional shoes. It's ridiculous really! You equate catching passes in the park to catching passes in the NFL? GTFOH. LMAO!

#8 : June 20, 2008, 02:44:48 PM

I seriously doubt he can.  He's been practicing ever since he got here and isn't any better.  Also, it's not like he's being asked to make hard catches.  The stuff he's dropping is stuff most of us catch regularly when we're playing in the park.  Little floaters into your hands don't take mad skillz to hold onto.  If hew was gonna "get it" it would have happened by now...

#9 : June 20, 2008, 02:57:52 PM

I seriously doubt he can. He's been practicing ever since he got here and isn't any better. Also, it's not like he's being asked to make hard catches. The stuff he's dropping is stuff most of us catch regularly when we're playing in the park. Little floaters into your hands don't take mad skillz to hold onto. If hew was gonna "get it" it would have happened by now...

^^I love this type of asshatery that you find on almost every fan message board^^

Damn near everyone thinks they can make the simplest catch if they were in the professional shoes. It's ridiculous really! You equate catching passes in the park to catching passes in the NFL? GTFOH. LMAO!

You, sir, are an idiot.  The laws of physics don't change in September.  Dropping a pass that hits you hands may happen when someone is about to clobber you, it happens.  And dropping the tough ones is gonna happen.  But standing still and having a ball hit you in the hands when you're wide open is no different in a park, int the NFL, or in any alternate universe you like to name.  Please explain to me what is so much harder about it in the NFL?  Do little football gnomes pop their little hands over player's eyes?  Maybe there are flying pixies that put a majic grease on the ball before it hits receiver's hands

Have you ever played a competitive sport in your life?  If so, was catching a ball any harder in a game than practice, or playing pickup?

#10 : June 20, 2008, 03:01:56 PM

.. Little floaters into your hands don't take mad skillz to hold onto. If hew was gonna "get it" it would have happened by now...

It is a little different when a floater is on the way and a DB is getting ready to truck you full speed....

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#11 : June 20, 2008, 03:08:43 PM

You, sir, are an idiot. The laws of physics don't change in September. Dropping a pass that hits you hands may happen when someone is about to clobber you, it happens. And dropping the tough ones is gonna happen. But standing still and having a ball hit you in the hands when you're wide open is no different in a park, int the NFL, or in any alternate universe you like to name. Please explain to me what is so much harder about it in the NFL? Do little football gnomes pop their little hands over player's eyes? Maybe there are flying pixies that put a majic grease on the ball before it hits receiver's hands

Have you ever played a competitive sport in your life? If so, was catching a ball any harder in a game than practice, or playing pickup?

Don't get your panties in a bunch. You comment was just typical of message board bravado, and I had to laugh at it.

Played Basketball, Soccer and football in HS and College. I wouldn't even begin to compare it to the pros

Catching a pass wearing full pads versus none is certainly more difficult. For one shoulder pads restrict the natural motion of you arms and shoulders. Try putting the pads on and have your buddy throw a ball that's slightly over your head. Trust me you aren't going to be able to just shoot your arms straight up to snag the catch. But that's just one example. Also, RBs are almost never standing still waiting for a pass in the backfield. Even on a screen pass they have to run to spot, slow down, turn to make the catch and then start accelerating upfield. Very rarely are they just waiting with their hands on their hips for the ball to be thrown.

Carnell's biggest problem is that he doesn't look the ball all the way into his hands. He tries to take a 'peek' at the defense before securing the ball in his hands. Small hands can be fortified by better focus.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 20, 2008, 03:14:33 PM

I played sports (football,baseball,basketball & soccer) in the street, backyard, on the playing field, in the gym, etc. at the grade school level. I played high school basketball & soccer and played varsity basketball & soccer in college. IMHO, practice, backyard, etc. is nothing like live game action.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

#13 : June 20, 2008, 03:16:19 PM

You, sir, are an idiot. The laws of physics don't change in September. Dropping a pass that hits you hands may happen when someone is about to clobber you, it happens. And dropping the tough ones is gonna happen. But standing still and having a ball hit you in the hands when you're wide open is no different in a park, int the NFL, or in any alternate universe you like to name. Please explain to me what is so much harder about it in the NFL? Do little football gnomes pop their little hands over player's eyes? Maybe there are flying pixies that put a majic grease on the ball before it hits receiver's hands

Have you ever played a competitive sport in your life? If so, was catching a ball any harder in a game than practice, or playing pickup?

Don't get your panties in a bunch. You comment was just typical of message board bravado, and I had to laugh at it.

Played Basketball, Soccer and football in HS and College. I wouldn't even begin to compare it to the pros

Catching a pass wearing full pads versus none is certainly more difficult. For one shoulder pads restrict the natural motion of you arms and shoulders. Try putting the pads on and have your buddy throw a ball that's slightly over your head. Trust me you aren't going to be able to just shoot your arms straight up to snag the catch. But that's just one example. Also, RBs are almost never standing still waiting for a pass in the backfield. Even on a screen pass they have to run to spot, slow down, turn to make the catch and then start accelerating upfield. Very rarely are they just waiting with their hands on their hips for the ball to be thrown.

Carnell's biggest problem is that he doesn't look the ball all the way into his hands. He tries to take a 'peek' at the defense before securing the ball in his hands. Small hands can be fortified by better focus.

And again, other than the pads being different from my sandlot example, what else is there?  Catching the ball is the same mechanics in both places.  Could I make it in the NFL? no way.  Could I get open, take the hits, etc,?  nope.  But most people can catch the ball when it hits them, even running slowly.  I don't blame him for not catching it over the shoulder, one handed, behind his back, at a a sprint, or any of a million other tough catches.  But dropping the ball on in the flat when there's nobody near you is inexcusable, and that's what he's dropping, and that's why people are frustrated.  ANd I do believe you could take half the fans in the stands, and have them make that catch.  Get open? no.  Get to the right spot fast enough? no.  But hold onto those passes if they were there? yes.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#14 : June 20, 2008, 03:21:46 PM

And again, other than the pads being different from my sandlot example, what else is there? Catching the ball is the same mechanics in both places. Could I make it in the NFL? no way. Could I get open, take the hits, etc,? nope. But most people can catch the ball when it hits them, even running slowly. I don't blame him for not catching it over the shoulder, one handed, behind his back, at a a sprint, or any of a million other tough catches. But dropping the ball on in the flat when there's nobody near you is inexcusable, and that's what he's dropping, and that's why people are frustrated. ANd I do believe you could take half the fans in the stands, and have them make that catch. Get open? no. Get to the right spot fast enough? no. But hold onto those passes if they were there? yes.

I'm not defending him. Let's be clear, he should make those catches. At the same time you comparing passes that you catch in the park, to passes that a professional catches in the Nfl, just doesn't make much sense. I guarantee you that the level of pressure, not to mention the factors that we've already discussed, is no where near equal. You catching pases in the park is not, no cannot be the same as catching passes in the Pros.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Caddy "Learn" to catch « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools