Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Caddy "Learn" to catch « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

#15 : June 20, 2008, 03:36:58 PM

I'm not saying it's precisely the same.  But those are easy catches.  The actual act of catching it is no different, it doesn't take a great amount of talent to put your hands on the ball.  Like I said, the million other things that go into it are things most of us couldn't do, the level of competition is too great.  And while my "half the fans in the stands" comment was hyperbole, it's not that far off from the truth. 

The distractions and pressure are there, but they're things you get used to to at least some extent.  And my experience has been that it's really only the "fine motor" actions, not the "gross motor" actions that are really affected by those things. 

Use Rusty's basketball experience as an example -- the fine motor stuff, that required precision,  the three pointers and free throws and shots from the top of the key, was that harder to do?  I'd bet it was.  Was it harder to catch that pass from your guard as you're running down the court?  I'd bet not.  Those things don't require the kind of precision that can be thrown off by nerves.

FWIW, I agree with you on what Caddy's problem is, he doesn't focus and look it in, but how long does it take to learn that?  If it hasn't happened yet there's no reason to expect it will.

sniper5

Second String
#16 : June 20, 2008, 03:40:07 PM

Of course he can learn to catch. The guy is an elite athlete, so there's no question that from a physical and hand/eye coordination standpoint, he can become proficient at it. But, like shooting a basketball, there's a huge mental/confidence aspect during live game action.  I think he needs to master the mental aspect of catching the ball (Clayton, anyone?) in order to be an effective receiver, because physically, there's no question he should be able to do it.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#17 : June 20, 2008, 03:41:04 PM

Last year I was reading about a drill that Green Bay does with it's receivers. They paint the nose of the football different colors (red, green, yellow, blue, orange). They also write a letter or number on boths sides of the nose of the ball. During the drill the receiver has to call out the color on the tip of the ball while it's in flight. They then must call out the number after catching the ball. The drills is good for two reasons. One, identifying the color on the nose of the ball trains the receiver to track the ball in flight. Identifying the number, trains them to look the ball all the way into their hands.

Receivers are taught to look the ball into their hands, but this drill actually forces them to do it every time the make the catch. Carnell needs a steady diet of this drill.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 20, 2008, 03:43:34 PM

yes

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#19 : June 20, 2008, 03:46:45 PM

FWIW, I agree with you on what Caddy's problem is, he doesn't focus and look it in, but how long does it take to learn that? If it hasn't happened yet there's no reason to expect it will.

I don't think it's a matter of learning it. I think it is a matter of him focusing and looking the ball in EVERY time, because he does catch some passes. That leads me to believe that he is more patient with some passes (focusing, looking it in) and less patient with others.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 20, 2008, 04:26:11 PM

maybe a different coach may help Carnell see the light...but to answer the poster's question, YES Carnell can "learn" to catch the ball more consistently, he just needs to want to catch the ball better

You must be accountable for your actions!

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 20, 2008, 04:44:01 PM

Last year I was reading about a drill that Green Bay does with it's receivers. They paint the nose of the football different colors (red, green, yellow, blue, orange). They also write a letter or number on boths sides of the nose of the ball. During the drill the receiver has to call out the color on the tip of the ball while it's in flight. They then must call out the number after catching the ball. The drills is good for two reasons. One, identifying the color on the nose of the ball trains the receiver to track the ball in flight. Identifying the number, trains them to look the ball all the way into their hands.

Receivers are taught to look the ball into their hands, but this drill actually forces them to do it every time the make the catch. Carnell needs a steady diet of this drill.

Interesting.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 20, 2008, 05:02:47 PM

Caddy caught 21 balls his senior season at Auburn, not a huge number but what's that average out to? About 2 per game?

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#23 : June 20, 2008, 05:06:01 PM

Caddy caught 21 balls his senior season at Auburn, not a huge number but what's that average out to? About 2 per game?

He ran a wheel route out of the back field for a long gain (almost 30 yards through the air) against Tennessee in the SEC championship that year. He caught it like a freaking receiver in stride too! I would have never guessed he would have this much trouble in the NFL.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 20, 2008, 05:10:32 PM

if caddy can "learn" to catch, wouldnt it be better to move him to WR and fortify that position?  then we wouldnt have to trade for anquan boldin.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Stretchcaddy

Starter

#25 : June 20, 2008, 07:49:03 PM

The answer to this question is .............Yes IMO. I think he can learn to catch the ball better

#26 : June 20, 2008, 07:52:42 PM

If he works at it nonstop there is no reason why he cant "learn to catch".

Nonsense.

If he's made it to this level unable to catch, it ain't happening.

IMO, of course.

#27 : June 20, 2008, 07:57:28 PM

Of course he can learn to catch. The guy is an elite athlete

You mean like Shaq, another elite athlete, learned to shoot free throws?

Patrick McIrish

Second String

#28 : June 20, 2008, 08:06:44 PM

I seriously doubt he can. He's been practicing ever since he got here and isn't any better. Also, it's not like he's being asked to make hard catches. The stuff he's dropping is stuff most of us catch regularly when we're playing in the park.  Little floaters into your hands don't take mad skillz to hold onto. If hew was gonna "get it" it would have happened by now...

I knew I joined this board for a reason, I heard about these types!   Thank you sir!!   ROFLMAO!!

There can  be only one star on a Jon Gruden team and it won't ever be a player.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#29 : June 20, 2008, 08:09:16 PM

Of course he can learn to catch. The guy is an elite athlete

You mean like Shaq, another elite athlete, learned to shoot free throws?

That might be the BEST analogy I've heard on this topic thus far. Point WELL made!
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Caddy "Learn" to catch « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools