Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Caddy "Learn" to catch « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Patrick McIrish

Second String

#30 : June 20, 2008, 08:14:07 PM

Caddy caught 21 balls his senior season at Auburn, not a huge number but what's that average out to? About 2 per game?

Actually it comes out to 1.6 or so, I agree 2 per game sounds much better though.  

There can  be only one star on a Jon Gruden team and it won't ever be a player.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#31 : June 20, 2008, 08:16:24 PM

Of course he can learn to catch. The guy is an elite athlete

You mean like Shaq, another elite athlete, learned to shoot free throws?
Precisely.

And for anyone to label Carnell as Elite is wearing blinders of the shiniest pewter...

Patrick McIrish

Second String

#32 : June 20, 2008, 08:16:55 PM

Caddy won't ever have NFL type of hands, we knew that when we drafted him.   Will he catch a pass here and there?   Of course, so would some chubby guy in the park playing catch with his girlfreind, but he will never be a big threat out of the backfield catching the ball.   I could go into some coach speak now but I know it would be lost on most of you, just take my word for it folks.    

There can  be only one star on a Jon Gruden team and it won't ever be a player.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#33 : June 20, 2008, 08:20:39 PM

Edge can catch.  Faulk could catch.  Westbrook catches better than anyone on the entire Bucs roster.  Pittman could catch, still can.  Graham can catch.  Dunn can catch.

Carnell...not so much.  His hand eye is probably not there.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 20, 2008, 08:25:30 PM

Â   I hate to use that word everyone has avoided, but it's a mental issue, not physical. Not saying he's dumb, but as has been noted previously, he's not concentrating on the ball all the way into his hands. He's peeking early to see where he wants to run.
 Â   In a couple interviews I've heard where the question was posed, he basically said he didn't think he dropped that many passes. That's kinda sayin' he doesn't think he has a problem. Ahem; Caddy, to be an elite back, your attitude should be "a dropped pass is the same as a fumble; it shouldn't ever happen".
 Â   Yeah, Shaq went thru "phases" like that; when he really got focused, he could hit his FT's, but it's always been a labor for him...

MBF

Hall of Famer

#35 : June 21, 2008, 09:44:16 AM

Of course he can learn to catch. The guy is an elite athlete

You mean like Shaq, another elite athlete, learned to shoot free throws?
How is that the same thing? Shaq was and is one of the GOAT, Caddy needs to work hard to be considered above average.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#36 : June 21, 2008, 09:58:50 AM

If he works at it nonstop there is no reason why he cant "learn to catch".

Nonsense.

If he's made it to this level unable to catch, it ain't happening.

IMO, of course.

....and this from a guy always gloating about Caddy!

;D

I agree about the potential level of improvement at this level. Basically the way Caddy approaches the ball when preparing to catch the ball is just very awkward and uncomfortable looking.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#37 : June 21, 2008, 11:03:36 AM

right now its 90 per cent mental...they should throw him so many passes he could cach them with one hand...seriously...if we have a healthy Cadillac,Graham,Dunn ,and Bennett with Askew and sometimes Gilmore lead blocking with one of the best offensive lines ....that will be even better this year...we imo...will definitely go deep into the playoffs ....and if our defense improves from last year...and lst year we were top 5....anything is possible.....HAVE A NICE COLD  DRINK....OF KOOL AID..ALL FLAVORS...CHEV YOU HAVING SOME..DRINK UP...LOL ;D ;D

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#38 : June 21, 2008, 11:48:53 AM

To answer the question  - - -

Not in "Hate's" lifetime.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 21, 2008, 11:55:54 AM

Has anyone even considered that the Bucs may have changed his technique for catching the ball? He may have very good hands in an unorthodox way.

It would be like learning to write off handed. It takes something natural and makes you think about it.

Just a thought.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#40 : June 21, 2008, 12:01:21 PM

right now its 90 per cent mental...they should throw him so many passes he could cach them with one hand...seriously...if we have a healthy Cadillac,Graham,Dunn ,and Bennett with Askew and sometimes Gilmore lead blocking with one of the best offensive lines ....that will be even better this year...we imo...will definitely go deep into the playoffs ....and if our defense improves from last year...and lst year we were top 5....anything is possible.....HAVE A NICE COLD DRINK....OF KOOL AID..ALL FLAVORS...CHEV YOU HAVING SOME..DRINK UP...LOL ;D ;D

Oh YEahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! ;D

C2asante

Starter

#41 : June 21, 2008, 12:16:45 PM

It is the nature of sports fans.  We criticize others for not performing up to expectations we could never come close to.  I have caught a pass in a competitive situation at a D1 college and catching a pass in the pros on game day may involve the same mechanics as catching a pass with friends in the park.  But it is a whole nother level of pressure due to crowd, expectations, competition, etc.  It is easy to minimize that which others fall short of when we could not even come close to.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#42 : June 21, 2008, 12:21:21 PM

Or to flat out say they suck. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#43 : June 21, 2008, 12:24:11 PM

He fumbles, he drops easy swing passes.

Face it guys, he is a hands of stone type of back. 

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 21, 2008, 12:30:24 PM

Maybe Boid but he brings enough of something to the table for the team to keep him.

I just think that sometimes we (cause I do it too) make what the players do seem too easy. That's probably because we all played growing up.

IMO, nobody sucks at the NFL level. Is Caddy great? Probably not. Is he Cedric Benson? Definitely not.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Caddy "Learn" to catch « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools