Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Which Bucs QB is scared of competition? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

: June 22, 2008, 10:17:44 AM

Garcia had 2400 yards in 13 games. McCown had a 1000 yards in three starts and two partial games as a virtual rookie. Garcia has more years in the NFL than McCown has NFL starts. He should be light years ahead of McCown but he's not. He was three points better in the QB ratings. That's no difference at all. Garcia is a dink and dunk QB who reached his peak years ago. He's not going to get any better. McCown has an upside. He will get better. He will correct his mistakes and improve with experience. Garcia has already reached his ceiling.

An improved OL and ground attack will take some of the heat off the passing game and QB. The overall offense will be much improved no matter who starts. Garcia has limitations and hasn't played a full season since 2002. McCown is in his prime and has better tools. I don't wish anything bad for Garcia but he is best suited to be a backup like he was in Philly. He doesn't have the endurance to play sixteen games plus the playoffs. His threat to retire indicates to me that he's all about the money. In the quote earlier in this thread, McCown said it's all about Ws and Ls. Right now he's more concerned about his performance and contribution to the game and his teammates. For me that clinches it. He is focussed on what is really important.

I expect McCown will still screw up occasionally, but I also know the team at least has a chance to be better quicker, and for years to come. Garcia's career is just about over. We have no future with him.

Griese has experience but he makes too many mental errors to be considered for the #1 job. Still I expect he would do very well behind this OL and with the weapons now available to him. He also doesn't complain about his contract or expected role on this team.

I was glad to see Garcia come here. We desperately needed an experienced QB. I will be glad to see him leave. It will mean we have moved on and are not so desperate anymore.

I look forward to the time when the QB competition is between McCown and Johnson.
Outstanding!!!!!

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 22, 2008, 02:02:46 PM

We have to just hope someone steps up and impresses Gruden more than Garcia in the preseason games. I expect he will have a lost time injury at some point, but I don't want to wait how ever long that might take. I would much rather see talent beat out experience in straight up competition. I would prefer it to be McCown but Griese can't be ignored either. He won a few games here with a much weaker lineup. There is a lot more talent. The protection is better and he would have more weapons to work with.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#2 : June 22, 2008, 10:15:30 AM

Garcia is scared. Although he doesn't have to be, because Luke won't be given a fair shot to win the job. He's already cemented at #3, even though there shouldn't be a depth chart set yet.

According to whom?
Here's a quote from someone you pay money to for Buccs info. He seems to agree from his sources at 1 Buc Place.

Luke deserves a shot to win the No. 2 job, but I sense from the team that they're going to go with Griese regardless. If true, that really bothers me. Someone should have to earn the job, and I think you'd agree."

I don't remember reading that...mind citing with a link to whichever article that is?  I don't doubt you, I just want to read it.
It wasn't in an article!

Ok well then where did you get it?  Yeesh, it's like pulling teeth...
Quote from: PewterReportJF
No problem. I agree with you. It's still too early to annoint McCown the quarterback of the future. He does have some flaws that need to be worked out. To his credit, Luke has performed well this offseason. But hey, Bruce Gradkowski blew everyone away in preseason and look how he fared in regular season games. Luke deserves a shot to win the No. 2 job, but I sense from the team that they're going to go with Griese regardless. If true, that really bothers me. Someone should have to earn the job, and I think you'd agree.

I think you have a point regarding Gruden. Sometimes he has blinders on, or so it seems. This is especially true when a player gets in his doghouse. Michael Clayton is one of those guys. He's been performing well this offseason, but Clayton is in the doghouse because of poor showings in previous years. I hope Gruden notices that Clayton is actually playing quite well right now -- perhaps as good as I've seen him since his rookie year.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 22, 2008, 08:56:54 AM

Plummer appears to be just done with football. Period.
    Simms welcomes competition if he's already anointed as #1, but doesn't appear to be eager to try to move up the chart when he's not. The fact he's not even in camp speaks volumes about his "competitiveness"...

MBF

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 22, 2008, 08:51:19 AM

Garcia had 2400 yards in 13 games. McCown had a 1000 yards in three starts and two partial games as a virtual rookie. Garcia has more years in the NFL than McCown has NFL starts. He should be light years ahead of McCown but he's not. He was three points better in the QB ratings. That's no difference at all. Garcia is a dink and dunk QB who reached his peak years ago. He's not going to get any better. McCown has an upside. He will get better. He will correct his mistakes and improve with experience. Garcia has already reached his ceiling.

An improved OL and ground attack will take some of the heat off the passing game and QB. The overall offense will be much improved no matter who starts. Garcia has limitations and hasn't played a full season since 2002. McCown is in his prime and has better tools. I don't wish anything bad for Garcia but he is best suited to be a backup like he was in Philly. He doesn't have the endurance to play sixteen games plus the playoffs. His threat to retire indicates to me that he's all about the money. In the quote earlier in this thread, McCown said it's all about Ws and Ls. Right now he's more concerned about his performance and contribution to the game and his teammates. For me that clinches it. He is focussed on what is really important.

I expect McCown will still screw up occasionally, but I also know the team at least has a chance to be better quicker, and for years to come. Garcia's career is just about over. We have no future with him.

Griese has experience but he makes too many mental errors to be considered for the #1 job. Still I expect he would do very well behind this OL and with the weapons now available to him. He also doesn't complain about his contract or expected role on this team.

I was glad to see Garcia come here. We desperately needed an experienced QB. I will be glad to see him leave. It will mean we have moved on and are not so desperate anymore.

I look forward to the time when the QB competition is between McCown and Johnson.
QFT

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 22, 2008, 08:45:00 AM

Jake Plummer- he is so scared he doesn't even show up

add Goldie Locks Simms to that list.  he whines about Gruden not being nice to him but his real beef is that he would only be the 4th string QB if he decided to show up. 

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#6 : June 22, 2008, 07:03:44 AM

luvabuc

Second String

#7 : June 22, 2008, 05:05:54 AM

Based on last year what would Garcia have to worry about? Unless Gruden gets an older QB.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 22, 2008, 04:12:46 AM

This is ridiculous.   Anyone afraid of competition doesn't make it to the NFL in the first place.   

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 22, 2008, 12:00:51 PM

How is Brad a prime example?  The way he treated him in 2004 was just flat out "ignint dawg".....

seriously, he was basically benched the 2nd week of the season, then in week 5 he put in Simms, which then became Griese.

Gruden is not afraid to put in his back-up QB, but like most rational people he is not going to put in the back-up if the starter is coming off a good year and was one of the main reasons for our turn around last season.  Nor would he have benched Griese in 05 when we were 4-1...

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#10 : June 22, 2008, 01:15:34 AM

When you as a player have to keep telling anyone who will listen, that you are the starter, that is like telling people you are in charge, they usually arent in charge of anything

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#11 : June 22, 2008, 11:38:02 AM

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think McCown or anyone other than Garcia will play this year while Garcia is healthy.   Gruden plays the guy who gives him the best chance to win each week.
I fixed this for you Java.

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think McCown or anyone other than Garcia will play this year while Garcia is healthy.   Gruden plays the guy who thinksgives him the best chance to win each week.

We saw that he was wrong in '04, he was wrong in '05(thank GOD for the defense)

The point is, we'll never know if McCown could give us the best chance to win each week, because he won't be given the chance. Garcia and or Griese will get hurt, and McCown will come in and make mistakes because he was given 3rd team reps all pre season and training camp with no real high level practice snaps with 1st rate players. Then the Garcia fans will give everyone the "I told you so" about McCown not being good, when the fact of the matter will be, his development has been hindered.

So Gruden doesn't recognize QB talent?  Nice stance there champ.
He may recognize it, but he is afraid to move on. Brad Johnson is a prime example.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 22, 2008, 11:32:11 AM

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think McCown or anyone other than Garcia will play this year while Garcia is healthy.   Gruden plays the guy who gives him the best chance to win each week.

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think McCown or anyone other than Garcia will play this year while Garcia is healthy.   Gruden plays the guy who thinksgives him the best chance to win each week.

The point is, we'll never know if McCown could give us the best chance to win each week, because he won't be given the chance. Garcia and or Griese will get hurt, and McCown will come in and make mistakes because he was given 3rd team reps all pre season and training camp with no real high level practice snaps with 1st rate players. Then the Garcia fans will give everyone the "I told you so" about McCown not being good, when the fact of the matter will be, his development has been hindered.

So Gruden doesn't recognize QB talent?  Nice stance there champ.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#13 : June 22, 2008, 11:30:15 AM

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 21, 2008, 10:04:02 PM

in other news, i talked to my source and he is close with McCown....

Source: Are you afraid of competition?
McCown: YES.

BOO YAH....I told you guys!!!
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Which Bucs QB is scared of competition? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools