Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Which Bucs QB is scared of competition? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#30 : June 21, 2008, 03:42:04 PM

Garcia is scared. Although he doesn't have to be, because Luke won't be given a fair shot to win the job. He's already cemented at #3, even though there shouldn't be a depth chart set yet.

According to whom?
Here's a quote from someone you pay money to for Buccs info. He seems to agree from his sources at 1 Buc Place.

Luke deserves a shot to win the No. 2 job, but I sense from the team that they're going to go with Griese regardless. If true, that really bothers me. Someone should have to earn the job, and I think you'd agree."

I don't remember reading that...mind citing with a link to whichever article that is?  I don't doubt you, I just want to read it.
It wasn't in an article!

Ok well then where did you get it?  Yeesh, it's like pulling teeth...

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#31 : June 21, 2008, 04:15:06 PM

not to debate you DTG, but very rarely will a QB come out and say, "im afraid of competition"

Even Chris Simms said he welcomed competition when the Bucs added Garcia....

take what coaches/players say in the off-season with a grain of salt.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#32 : June 21, 2008, 05:21:06 PM

Garcia is scared. Although he doesn't have to be, because Luke won't be given a fair shot to win the job. He's already cemented at #3, even though there shouldn't be a depth chart set yet.

According to whom?
Here's a quote from someone you pay money to for Buccs info. He seems to agree from his sources at 1 Buc Place.

Luke deserves a shot to win the No. 2 job, but I sense from the team that they're going to go with Griese regardless. If true, that really bothers me. Someone should have to earn the job, and I think you'd agree."

Luke deserves a shot to win the #1 job.  Unfortunately, you are probably right that he won't even get a fair shot at #2.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#33 : June 21, 2008, 09:58:29 PM

Yea definetly, screw Garcia...who does he think he is coming in here and taking a 4-12 team to the playoffs.

He is an idiot, I hope McCown can play a majority of the games this year so we can get back to those tampa bay buccaneer football days of double digit losses...

Darn Garcia...he wasn't harming nobody, but he had to come to Tampa and lead us to the playoffs.  Now that Gruden got his extension, he can afford to another losing season, so I sure hope McCown starts and we flat out release Garcia.

We have been known for years to have a vaunted D and sub par offense, but Garcia wants to come in here and make the probowl at QB for us.  The gull of this man....Garica BE GONE!!!!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 22, 2008, 10:32:36 AM

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think McCown or anyone other than Garcia will play this year while Garcia is healthy.   Gruden plays the guy who gives him the best chance to win each week.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#35 : June 22, 2008, 05:38:27 PM

Quote from: PewterReportJF
No problem. I agree with you. It's still too early to annoint McCown the quarterback of the future. He does have some flaws that need to be worked out. To his credit, Luke has performed well this offseason. But hey, Bruce Gradkowski blew everyone away in preseason and look how he fared in regular season games. Luke deserves a shot to win the No. 2 job, but I sense from the team that they're going to go with Griese regardless. If true, that really bothers me. Someone should have to earn the job, and I think you'd agree.

I think you have a point regarding Gruden. Sometimes he has blinders on, or so it seems. This is especially true when a player gets in his doghouse. Michael Clayton is one of those guys. He's been performing well this offseason, but Clayton is in the doghouse because of poor showings in previous years. I hope Gruden notices that Clayton is actually playing quite well right now -- perhaps as good as I've seen him since his rookie year.

Thank you, ABuccs.  Now that I see the full quote, I can say that I have to believe Jim since he would know MUCH more than I would.

Like Jim, I hope he is wrong in that statement.  But if Luke McCown puts on a stellar performance, and Griese sucks it up, I don't see how he can bump Luke.  In fact, this is a real question, but when has a player ever done leaps and bounds better than the other guy in training camp but still loses his spot?  Jim gave the example of Clayton, but we still don't know for sure if he'll be bumped...Jim was just speculating.  Are there any other examples you can think of?

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#36 : June 22, 2008, 06:16:47 PM

Look everybody in the other 31 cities love their back up too.  Hey nothing wrong with loving that guy.  There's pros and cons to both decisions.

Pros for Garcia as starter:

He's got more experience
is athletic
and makes great decisions at the LOS

Cons:

He's a senior citizen
Luke is just as good if not better physically

Personally, I'm not ready to regress there.  If Garcia is on the team, from experience standpoint, he gives us the best chance to win.  I like Luke a lot, but in a full scale competition Garcia still has the edge because he can make the mental adjustments. 

You all have very valid reasons for the competition I just think, this year, we need the continuity, not the competition.  Luke will get a shot as the number 2.  Don't see Jeff making it through the year...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#37 : June 22, 2008, 06:48:41 PM

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think McCown or anyone other than Garcia will play this year while Garcia is healthy. Gruden plays the guy who gives him the best chance to win each week.

I'm of the opinion that he plays the guy he likes at that particular time.

luvabuc

Second String

#38 : June 22, 2008, 06:59:13 PM

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think McCown or anyone other than Garcia will play this year while Garcia is healthy. Gruden plays the guy who gives him the best chance to win each week.
Gradkowski???

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 22, 2008, 07:21:19 PM

Luke is not going to be given the starting job nor is he going to win the starting job.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#40 : June 23, 2008, 10:02:25 AM

Luke is not going to be given the starting job nor is he going to win the starting job.

Garcia will not survive the season. Someone else will have to do the job. McCown gets my vote and Gruden's too, IMO.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#41 : June 23, 2008, 10:58:35 AM

The argument should be as to whether or not he's gonna get the #2 spot.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Which Bucs QB is scared of competition? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools