Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Melrose to be introduced as Lightning Coach « previous next »
Page: 1

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
: June 23, 2008, 02:40:57 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3457480

ESPN analyst Barry Melrose will be introduced as the Tampa Bay Lightning's new head coach at a news conference Tuesday.

Melrose has been an ESPN analyst full-time since 1996. He had previously worked as a studio analyst for ESPN's Emmy Award-winning 1994 Stanley Cup playoff coverage and for ESPN and ESPN2 during the 1995 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Melrose was the head coach of the Los Angeles Kings from 1992-95. In his debut season, his team advanced to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in franchise history.

Melrose began his coaching career in 1987 when he led the Medicine Hat Tigers to the WHL's Memorial Cup Title. He also coached the Seattle Thunderbirds for the 1988-89 season and the Adirondack Red Wings of the American Hockey League for three seasons (1989-92). Melrose guided the Red Wings to the Calder Cup championship in 1991. He also served as the team's general manager during his final two seasons.

Pirate Zone

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 23, 2008, 03:18:26 PM

Although I will really miss Torts I think we will do very well under Melrose next season!!  ;D

bucbeast

Second String
#2 : June 23, 2008, 03:40:05 PM

I cant believe they dumped Torts for the mullet boy, the guy doesn't have a lot of experience, 4 years NHl and a few years of farm team experience................. WTF? Not to mention that he hasn't seen the bench in over 12 years, not really sure what their thinking.............. They might be thinking about the story line for the next Saw movie.

boredomkills01

Pro Bowler

#3 : June 23, 2008, 03:43:15 PM

I will give the guy a chance, But I will forever have some odd memories of him...

I was at one of the Finals games when the Bolts won the cup, And the ESPN panel was up on the 200 level, while we were above them on the 300 level..
The panel consisted of Chris berman, Barry Melrose, and Former Blackhawks goalie(eh I forgot his name) Anyway Berman stood up before the game when the place was semi quiet and after a "Melrose sucks" chant he would point to himself and people would cheer... Then he would point to Melrose and everyone booed, He did it about 5 times back and forth and they seemed to get a good chuckle out of it at barrys expense...

$$$

LFO

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 23, 2008, 05:56:18 PM

He better win early and often for the Fans to forget about his disparaging remarks about the Lightning in 04.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 23, 2008, 06:06:36 PM

He better win early and often for the Fans to forget about his disparaging remarks about the Lightning in 04.

I'm more concerned about his mullet than his disparaging remarks...... I've forgotten what he said back then but the mullet lives .... maybe he has a deformed head and that's the only way to hide it.

luvabuc

Second String

#6 : June 23, 2008, 07:01:07 PM

Sad day in the Lightning history. And yet the idiot Feaster is still here? Thanks for Marc Denis, Jay!

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 24, 2008, 11:34:34 PM

Go Bolts lke the move.. We also resigned Vinny Prospal...

Tampa being mentioned all over the sports world today..

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : June 24, 2008, 12:47:10 PM

At Tuesday's news conference, Melrose said Coyotes assistant Rick Tocchet and former Minnesota Wild center Wes Walz would join his staff.

Tocchet, 44, played 18 seasons in the NHL but as a coach was involved in a gambling investigation and left the team for two years. Tocchet's contract with Phoenix expires at the end of this month.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3458608

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 24, 2008, 02:15:53 PM

At Tuesday's news conference, Melrose said Coyotes assistant Rick Tocchet and former Minnesota Wild center Wes Walz would join his staff.

Tocchet, 44, played 18 seasons in the NHL but as a coach was involved in a gambling investigation and left the team for two years. Tocchet's contract with Phoenix expires at the end of this month.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3458608

I BET they do well.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#10 : June 24, 2008, 02:26:39 PM

LETS GO LIGHTNING !!!

matt

Starter

#11 : June 24, 2008, 06:27:37 PM

I'm conflicted here. On one hand, I'm happy that Melrose won't be on ESPN anymore hating on the Wings because they decided to hire the most winningest coach in hockey history (Scotty Bowman) instead of him. On the other hand, while I'm not a Lightning fan, I would have preferred Melrose go to a team I can't stand so it would actually be humorous when he fails. If the new ownership did not want to keep Tortorella, it would have been wise for them to go with a young coach instead of a never has been.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 24, 2008, 07:40:36 PM

Does WVU have a hockey team?

matt

Starter

#13 : June 24, 2008, 07:49:44 PM

Does WVU have a hockey team?

I'm not sure, but if they do, Michigan Hockey coach Red Berenson is probably nearing retirement since he's about 70, so if East Ohio University has a hockey program, I'm sure Bill Martin will hire their coach.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Melrose to be introduced as Lightning Coach « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools