Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Game vs PIT Historical « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: December 06, 2006, 09:05:19 AM

How embarrassing.  Put the young guys on the field and go for a touchdown.  Even if they don't make it, at least they went down swinging.

Agreed.

Matt Bryant is my favorite Buc, though, edging out Bidwell.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 06, 2006, 08:51:34 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/12/05/bc.fbn.bucsfutilefg.ap/index.html

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- At least the Tampa Bay Buccaneers came away from Pittsburgh with a little sliver of NFL history.

According to Steelers research, Bucs kicker Matt Bryant's 27-yard field goal that concluded Pittsburgh's 20-3 victory Sunday was the first such game-ending kick to break up an NFL shutout in 73 years.

The Steelers franchise also was involved in the previous such game.

During Pittsburgh's first NFL season in 1933, Pirates kicker Christian "Mose" Kelsch kicked a 21-yard field goal on the final play to secure a 3-3 tie with the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field. The Steelers were known as the Pirates until 1940.

Bucs coach Jon Gruden said he kicked the meaningless field goal so rookie quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, who grew up in Pittsburgh, would come away with something positive from his first NFL game there.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 06, 2006, 08:54:49 AM

How embarrassing.  Put the young guys on the field and go for a touchdown.  Even if they don't make it, at least they went down swinging.

#3 : December 06, 2006, 11:39:34 AM

When it happened, i was thinkin "how embarassing."  It was like a coach trying to protect the psyche of a lil league team.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 06, 2006, 11:43:08 AM

When it happened, i was thinkin "how embarassing."  It was like a coach trying to protect the psyche of a lil league team.

I thought a coach trying to protect himself from "Shut out second time in one season" questions personally. The "something for Grads" line was obviously silly- then give him a  shot at a TD and the team knows that was bush league as well.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 06, 2006, 11:38:44 AM

the first kick was to cause a 3-3 tie, at least there was a point to it.

Yes, so we might even be a first in NFL history. There's something of note for this season!?!?!?

coopsxx

Starter
#6 : December 06, 2006, 11:29:19 AM

the first kick was to cause a 3-3 tie, at least there was a point to it.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 06, 2006, 12:21:54 PM

When it happened, i was thinkin "how embarassing." It was like a coach trying to protect the psyche of a lil league team.

I thought a coach trying to protect himself from "Shut out second time in one season" questions personally. The "something for Grads" line was obviously silly- then give him a shot at a TD and the team knows that was bush league as well.

QFT

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#8 : December 06, 2006, 12:29:21 PM

What a gutless call. Oh well, that is sort of character of Gruden when his team is losing.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#9 : December 06, 2006, 01:14:01 PM

When watching that FG attempt, I realized how low we have sunk, reduced to kicking a FG with 3 sec left in a game to avoid a shutout....sad

Gruden was probably pissed that the play before was another sure TD that was dropped and just said F--- it. Though I would of went for the TD, and if the team can't get it, or drops another TD, then they deserve the goose egg.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 06, 2006, 02:21:43 PM

Well for an opposing point of view, who cares?  I track Wins and Losses.  I could care less about shut outs or points scored - or Grads and Gruden's individual feelings.  Embarassed - heck no.  Impressed - nope.  Care - no.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bucfanmark

Second String
#11 : December 06, 2006, 08:23:36 PM

I for one am glad we kicked the field goal.  I don't want ANY team to EVER shut us out!!  I think it is great that Gruden hates the idea of a shutout as much as I do.  Man, that's just passion for the game.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 06, 2006, 08:35:10 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/12/05/bc.fbn.bucsfutilefg.ap/index.html

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- At least the Tampa Bay Buccaneers came away from Pittsburgh with a little sliver of NFL history.

I am so proud.   :P

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 06, 2006, 08:39:59 PM

When watching that FG attempt, I realized how low we have sunk, reduced to kicking a FG with 3 sec left in a game to avoid a shutout....sad

Gruden was probably pissed that the play before was another sure TD that was dropped and just said F--- it. Though I would of went for the TD, and if the team can't get it, or drops another TD, then they deserve the goose egg.
I agree.  That is one move I think Gruden should not have made.  It was chicken little for sure.

Give Grads something to be proud about?  BS.  He should have made him get embarrased by taking the shutout, maybe light a fire.  He should have went for six.

That FG was so damned gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay it makes me shudder.  And between that and Grads planting hiimself in the turf for fear oif taking a bruise, it was a very very very very very very very sad day to be a Buc Fan.  I am still pissed about those two things.  It makes CLaytons drop seem like an afterthought.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 06, 2006, 08:43:45 PM

Agreed.

Matt Bryant is my favorite Buc, though, edging out Bidwell.

LOL, that was supposed to be funny.....right?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Game vs PIT Historical « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools