Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs ranked 6th worse in the league in offense plays « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 24, 2008, 10:10:31 PM

Maybe the game was short because they ran a lot...

More likely because they didn't run enough

Bucs were 11th in the NFL in rushing attempts last season...2 from 9th.

The Bucs were 25th in passing attempts last season.

And a lot of those pass attempts were in futile, maddening, 3-and-out clumps after the running game was mostly abandoned.
With the way we've built our OL, we should be top-5 in rushing attempts.

Plank

Starter

#16 : June 24, 2008, 11:37:29 PM

Maybe the game was short because they ran a lot...

More likely because they didn't run enough

Bucs were 11th in the NFL in rushing attempts last season...2 from 9th.

The Bucs were 25th in passing attempts last season.

And a lot of those pass attempts were in futile, maddening, 3-and-out clumps after the running game was mostly abandoned.
With the way we've built our OL, we should be top-5 in rushing attempts.

With our o-line, Graham, Dunn, Bennet, Askew, and maybe Caddy I bet we will be in the top 3 in attempts this year.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#17 : June 24, 2008, 11:50:14 PM

6th worst. That is another way of saying 26th in the league. Stats are stats. The only stat that matters to me is
the FINAL SCORE, hopefully the BUCS have MORE POINTS and a WIN. Stats winners do not always win the game.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#18 : June 25, 2008, 08:49:11 AM

6th worst. That is another way of saying 26th in the league. Stats are stats. The only stat that matters to me is
the FINAL SCORE, hopefully the BUCS have MORE POINTS and a WIN. Stats winners do not always win the game.
That is some in depth insight right there, folks.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 25, 2008, 09:01:58 AM

The defense was just as much at fault as the offense. The offense was average in 3rd down %, 38%. The defense was below average at 41%. People blame the pass rush, but the real reasons were
 A. Lack of press coverage on 3rd down, giving the QB and WRs perfect timing. The ball was consistently coming out on the 3rd or 5th step for a quick curl or slant and a 1st down. The pass rush never had a chance to get to the QB.
B. Kiffin telegraphing his blitzes. About half the time he bluffs the blitz and the LBs drop back into coverage. But when they didn't bluff it was pretty much a free first down because the entire offense had already adjusted their routes and protection to beat the blitz. If he stops showing the blitz the holes in protection will open up and the QB, RBs, FBs, TEs and WRs will still be running the called play and thats when you'll see those vicious hits on the QB. Right now Kiffin's blitz philosophy is just peeing in the wind.
Only 6 teams faced fewer plays on defense than the Bucs.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 25, 2008, 11:08:26 AM

The defense was just as much at fault as the offense. The offense was average in 3rd down %, 38%. The defense was below average at 41%. People blame the pass rush, but the real reasons were
 A. Lack of press coverage on 3rd down, giving the QB and WRs perfect timing. The ball was consistently coming out on the 3rd or 5th step for a quick curl or slant and a 1st down. The pass rush never had a chance to get to the QB.
B. Kiffin telegraphing his blitzes. About half the time he bluffs the blitz and the LBs drop back into coverage. But when they didn't bluff it was pretty much a free first down because the entire offense had already adjusted their routes and protection to beat the blitz. If he stops showing the blitz the holes in protection will open up and the QB, RBs, FBs, TEs and WRs will still be running the called play and thats when you'll see those vicious hits on the QB. Right now Kiffin's blitz philosophy is just peeing in the wind.
Only 6 teams faced fewer plays on defense than the Bucs.

Damn what's the total plays per game ranking then?  Must be way down if the D didn't face many plays and the O didn't execute many plays.  Not a lot of stopping the clock on either side.  tic tic tic...

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

thanson

Starter

#21 : June 25, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

This year will be a lot better. Our o-line is coming into their own now

UnderwearGnome

Second String

#22 : June 25, 2008, 01:05:00 PM

Just imagine where we would be if we didnt have an offensive genius for a coach

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#23 : June 25, 2008, 07:53:28 PM

I have watched the buccaneers for a long time - in one year they have looked like they had an offensive genius for a coach - with a great D, they won the SB.  Noone makes chicken salad from chicken excrement. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 25, 2008, 09:47:12 PM

I have watched the buccaneers for a long time - in one year they have looked like they had an offensive genius for a coach - with a great D, they won the SB.  Noone makes chicken salad from chicken excrement. 
It must suck for Gruden to have two different GMs with the Bucs who keep giving him chicken excrement to work with.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#25 : June 26, 2008, 09:11:54 AM

The offense isn't going to improve until people like Bryant and Stovall step up or they swing a trade for Boldin, Chad, etc. I don't know about you but I'd prefer the latter.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : June 26, 2008, 06:35:55 AM

The buccs draft history you know as well or better than I FRG - and FA efforts are darn near as impressive over this history of the franchise.  If you want to blame it on GMs I would think you are oversimplifying - but clearly Rich and his staff, and Gruden and his coaching group were not on the same page.  Gruden and Allen don't get it all right - that is for certain.  But at least they give the appearance of working towards the same goal in unison - of a like mind - unlike RM and Gruden.

No excuse at this point - we will see how this partnership works out.  So far a lot spent on getting an oline.  Team still has needs, WR, RB, UT and QB.  It would be nice to stumble over an elite qb at some point -  it has been 30 years - it is time...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 26, 2008, 08:58:39 AM

The buccs draft history you know as well or better than I FRG - and FA efforts are darn near as impressive over this history of the franchise.  If you want to blame it on GMs I would think you are oversimplifying - but clearly Rich and his staff, and Gruden and his coaching group were not on the same page.  Gruden and Allen don't get it all right - that is for certain.  But at least they give the appearance of working towards the same goal in unison - of a like mind - unlike RM and Gruden.

No excuse at this point - we will see how this partnership works out.  So far a lot spent on getting an oline.  Team still has needs, WR, RB, UT and QB.  It would be nice to stumble over an elite qb at some point -  it has been 30 years - it is time...

Wait, Bucs stumbled over some elite qbs in thier time, they just didn't keep them and build around them.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#28 : June 26, 2008, 10:31:09 AM

The offense isn't going to improve until people like Bryant and Stovall step up or they swing a trade for Boldin, Chad, etc. I don't know about you but I'd prefer the latter.
I will always and forever be in favor of acquiring proven NFL talent  over Draft picks. The best time to grab a FA is coming off their rookie contract, not signing them on their farewell tour like Garner and Tim Brown.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 26, 2008, 01:44:28 PM

I will always and forever be in favor of acquiring proven NFL talent over Draft picks. The best time to grab a FA is coming off their rookie contract, not signing them on their farewell tour like Garner and Tim Brown.
It depends really. Like dealing a 2nd for Jason Taylor, on paper it looks alright but 2nd round picks are no joke. The draftnik in me wants to keep that pick to get a long-term answer rather than a quick fix like JT. However, if you're talking about a high pick for a reasonably aged stud, then I'm all for it. I don't want to be one of those haters that cries about everything the FO does but some of their drafting has left a lot to be desired. Combine that with the risk factor of giving a lot of money to an unproven rook, and I'm going to deal that pick for a guy who I've seen perform on Sunday.

It really puzzles me as to why the FO isn't persuing a trade for someone good at WR. We have an old, injury-prone Galloway, an aging Hilliard, unproven Stovall, DJax and Clayton, and the enigma that is Antonio Bryant. If we could get someone like Boldin or Johnson, not only would it give us an actual threat that DC's will have to account for, but it'll ease some of the pressure on the aforementioned players and allow Galloway to act as a #2, where he can really do damage. The skill players on this offense scare no one but our own fans.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs ranked 6th worse in the league in offense plays « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools