Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BET awards « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 19

escobar

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 25, 2008, 12:56:09 PM

I agree with you Turbo. Although this is just how things are today, it's never going to change. The one thing that really annoys me is that in America when speaking of minorities what people really mean are blacks (not African Americans, last I checked I wasn't referred to as a Hungarian German Irish American). For instance, in the NFL when you hear people say "we need more minority coaching candidates", what they really mean is more black candidates. If Asians and Latino's made up 2/3 of the head coach's in the NFL, do you think anyone would be satisfied? Of course not, until blacks are the dominant race coaching in the NFL people like Sharpton will never be happy.

In a country where everyone is supposed to be free and EQUAL, shouldn't everyone have an equal opportunity to get into the school they want or land the job they are after? Why does one race get special consideration over all others? I realize UFO and others are just going to respond "yes it's supposed to be equal and that's exactly what certain programs (AA) are in place for". How many years ago was slavery? How many people living today owned slaves? How many years ago was the civil rights movement? There are many reasons a person either does or does not succeed, many people in a certain race need to realize that instead of always pointing the finger at whitey.

Just had to mention this because of the recent Imus comments. A few nights ago I was over at a friends shooting pool and the Chappelle skit came on where he was a blind member of the KKK. If you watch that skit and listen to the things he says about several races, and then go back and read up on Imus you will see exactly why this country is so ridiculous today. If Imus or any other white person said the exact same thing Chappelle did, line for line, for "entertainment purposes", that person would never work again for as long as they lived. Seems as though equality isn't exactly America's strong suit anymore.

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#16 : June 25, 2008, 12:59:21 PM

this guy is all hard and tough, no wonder he won something...

is this look still cool?  it makes me laugh!

Hahaha I bet you wouldnt even try to make fun of him if you were standing right there.....

Aye, So we cut Clifton Smith?!?!

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

#17 : June 25, 2008, 01:00:46 PM

I agree with you Turbo. Although this is just how things are today, it's never going to change. The one thing that really annoys me is that in America when speaking of minorities what people really mean are blacks (not African Americans, last I checked I wasn't referred to as a Hungarian German Irish American). For instance, in the NFL when you hear people say "we need more minority coaching candidates", what they really mean is more black candidates. If Asians and Latino's made up 2/3 of the head coach's in the NFL, do you think anyone would be satisfied? Of course not, until blacks are the dominant race coaching in the NFL people like Sharpton will never be happy.

In a country where everyone is supposed to be free and EQUAL, shouldn't everyone have an equal opportunity to get into the school they want or land the job they are after? Why does one race get special consideration over all others? I realize UFO and others are just going to respond "yes it's supposed to be equal and that's exactly what certain programs (AA) are in place for". How many years ago was slavery? How many people living today owned slaves? How many years ago was the civil rights movement? There are many reasons a person either does or does not succeed, many people in a certain race need to realize that instead of always pointing the finger at whitey.

Just had to mention this because of the recent Imus comments. A few nights ago I was over at a friends shooting pool and the Chappelle skit came on where he was a blind member of the KKK. If you watch that skit and listen to the things he says about several races, and then go back and read up on Imus you will see exactly why this country is so ridiculous today. If Imus or any other white person said the exact same thing Chappelle did, line for line, for "entertainment purposes", that person would never work again for as long as they lived. Seems as though equality isn't exactly America's strong suit anymore.

Great post, you make some great points and observations.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#18 : June 25, 2008, 01:00:58 PM

is this look still cool?  it makes me laugh!

Hahaha I bet you wouldnt even try to make fun of him if you were standing right there.....
Chubby Twigarms?

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#19 : June 25, 2008, 01:05:05 PM

is this look still cool? it makes me laugh!

Chubby Twigarms?

No, the original poster. Its kind of funny that he would say that here but I guess thats all that counts. It doesnt even really make sense considering all hes does is tilting his baseball cap to the back left and wearing shades....but yeah thats OG HxC man. What is it that you consider is cool Turbo???

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

#20 : June 25, 2008, 01:07:13 PM

People actually still watch BET?
Why was Turbo watching it? [banghead]

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#21 : June 25, 2008, 01:08:09 PM

its still racism, and it contributes to the divide.

How is an awards show racist?

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 25, 2008, 01:09:54 PM

You know I'm sick of all the inuendo.  Just come out and own it if you don't like black folks. Makes it easier for all of us to identify who we're relly dealing with here...Don't dance around the topic and make up threads that are based on sort of not liking it. Just come out of the closet...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#23 : June 25, 2008, 01:10:04 PM

Well to be honest I think he meant it was racist to have a channel called "black enterntaiment" it wasn't the actual awards show that was racist.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#24 : June 25, 2008, 01:11:06 PM

If only black people win the awards, I'd consider that racist.

#25 : June 25, 2008, 01:11:23 PM

You know I'm sick of all the inuendo. �Just come out and own it if you don't like black folks. Makes it easier for all of us to identify who we're relly dealing with here...Don't dance around the topic and make up threads that are based on sort of not liking it. Just come out of the closet...

Wow! Nice one. But don't you know we are "trained" today as a society. You mean people actually having their own honest thoughts?

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#26 : June 25, 2008, 01:11:54 PM

If you consider the fact that since every mainstream hollywood or "White" Awards show there has to be racial diversity or its considered racism. However, for BET Awards last night there was only black artists and entertainers and hosts for the awards. It seems pretty double standard to call racism for not having blacks in the show but not whites in a black show???? I mean of course there were shots of White people operating the cameras for the show and a few appearances in the crowd but the fact that there was no white artists or hosts is simply a double standard. Then again, whites really dont care about being excluded from things.

#27 : June 25, 2008, 01:13:48 PM

It is sort of like churches if you think about it. I don't think I need to spell it out.

Racism is just terrible though. America is deeply rooted in racism and I just don't understand how that could still be?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 25, 2008, 01:14:22 PM

I 100% agree, the BET's are hypocritical.  No need for awards based on race, not these days.  Time to move on and hopefully cultivate a truly race-less society.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 25, 2008, 01:15:18 PM

If you consider the fact that since every mainstream hollywood or "White" Awards show there has to be racial diversity or its considered racism. However, for BET Awards last night there was only black artists and entertainers and hosts for the awards. It seems pretty double standard to call racism for not having blacks in the show but not whites in a black show???? I mean of course there were shots of White people operating the cameras for the show and a few appearances in the crowd but the fact that there was no white artists or hosts is simply a double standard. Then again, whites really dont care about being excluded from things.

If that were true we'd not have this thread...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BET awards « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools