Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BET awards « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 17 18 19

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#270 : June 26, 2008, 04:36:54 PM

There are plenty of stations catering to "white" people.

but are they trying to capitalize on racial differences? and which stations, and how are they catering to white people?

How are they capitalizing on racial differences.  They're capitalizing on different interests like all the other specialized stations that have been mentioned.  You already said that you'd have no problem if it was called UrbanAmerica or hip hop or whatever.  So apparently the content isn't the problem.

And many would feel the rest of the nonethnic specific stations would be the answer to the second question.

oh and the answer to your third can be seen by watching a large part of the content and the adverts   ;)

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#271 : June 26, 2008, 04:38:11 PM

You are right. ?It's a shame Sharpton has as much influence as he does. When he whines, people listen.

I said I'd refrain from posting in this thread but felt compelled to offer one more bit of enlightenment. Al Sharpton has very lil influence in the black community..... far less than any of you think.

I wasn't talking about Sharpton having influence in the black community, Hate. I was referring to his political influence. AS was the main reason Imus was fired. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Imus. I'm just using him as an example of the influence I am referring to.

I think that influence had more to do with economics than politics

For the companies, yeah, not for good 'ole Al.  It's all about the politicin'

I'd say Al does a lot of what he does for the all mighty dollar.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#272 : June 26, 2008, 04:41:15 PM

Again, much ado about nothing. It's a TV station and awards show. Shouldn't mean a thing in the scope of race relations.

it is much ado about nothing. but there is enough of a difference in opinion to drag this thread out.

it wouldn't be the first thread about nothing to go on forever.   ;)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#273 : June 26, 2008, 04:43:07 PM

I'd say Al does a lot of what he does for the all mighty dollar.

Oh yeah, he does.  The politicin' is how good 'ole Al get his scratch.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#274 : June 26, 2008, 05:11:33 PM

...when you produce a product specifically for a certain race I believe it leads to divide.

So now black hair products, straighteners, and cosmetics for dark skinned people lead to a divide?  If there is a demand for a product, supply it.  That's called free enterprise.  

People are confusing Diversity with divisiveness.  These BET awards are celebrating the acheivements of Black entertainers in the US.  Would any of those recipients have been able to accomplish what they achieved if they lived in Nigeria or Somalia?  They only have the success (and the awards) because of the freedom and equality that does exist here in the US.  If anything these awards are Non-divisive in that they celebrate the opportunity that the US has given them, therefore it celebrates something we all share, regardless of race or language.

but i get it, whatever sells.

That is the only thing that should matter.  Nobody is forcing you to watch BET.  Nobody makes you buy black hair care products or cosmetics for fair-skinned people or spanish language cookbooks or woks or guava flavored sodas.  But all these things are part of diversity, free market diversity that gives us the freedom to choose and I see nothing divisive about it.

Freedom of choice is not divisive.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#275 : June 26, 2008, 05:14:01 PM

Some would say it promotes racial (ethnic) culture

well it seems like this is our problem. by promoting racial culture, we continue to keep the divide. i understand the desire, but its sounds like a catch 22 to me.

Sorry.  I just don't see how this creates a divide.

It doesn't  ..... unless you are looking for a divide and then it fits the bill.

Page: 1 ... 17 18 19
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BET awards « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools