Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BET awards « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#30 : June 25, 2008, 01:16:53 PM

Or maybe a Billionaire TV network owner decided to have an annual awards show that appealed to his networks audience to boost ratings and thereby make him even more Billionair-ey.

It's not always about race, in fact it's usually about the cash.

Correct, those award shows bring in enormous advertising dollars

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#31 : June 25, 2008, 01:19:07 PM

You know I'm sick of all the inuendo. �Just come out and own it if you don't like black folks. Makes it easier for all of us to identify who we're relly dealing with here...Don't dance around the topic and make up threads that are based on sort of not liking it. Just come out of the closet...

I think it's unfair to say that if someone thinks there is a double-standard with BET, that means they don't like Black people, Chev.

Do you think Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would raise hell if there was a channel specifically for White people or an awards show that was proud that they only gave awards to white people?

It's the double-standard that I have the problem with, not black people.  Let's stop all of the race-baiting.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#32 : June 25, 2008, 01:19:17 PM

its still racism, and it contributes to the divide.

How is an awards show racist?

If you consider the fact that since every mainstream hollywood or "White" Awards show there has to be racial diversity or its considered racism. However, for BET Awards last night there was only black artists and entertainers and hosts for the awards. It seems pretty double standard to call racism for not having blacks in the show but not whites in a black show???? I mean of course there were shots of White people operating the cameras for the show and a few appearances in the crowd but the fact that there was no white artists or hosts is simply a double standard. Then again, whites really dont care about being excluded from things.

If that were true we'd not have this thread...

Chev - hand on heart, do you not see an issue with the BET in modern day society.  Honest answer, yes or no.

#33 : June 25, 2008, 01:19:27 PM

Really what is the difference between "CMT" the white mans channel and "BET" the black mans channel? Nothing only CMT isn't called "WMT".

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#34 : June 25, 2008, 01:20:04 PM

Well to be honest I think he meant it was racist to have a channel called "black enterntaiment" it wasn't the actual awards show that was racist.

So is the Food Network Foodist? Is Sci-Fi Geekist?  Is Animal Planet Speciest?

I think some people need to re-learn the definition of the word "racist".  

Creating a show or a network that meets the demands of a niche audience isn't racist, it's capitalist.  Pretty sure R.L. Johnson didn't start BET because he "hates" white people, but because he loves $$$$

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#35 : June 25, 2008, 01:21:25 PM

this guy is all hard and tough, no wonder he won something...

is this look still cool? it makes me laugh!

Hahaha I bet you wouldnt even try to make fun of him if you were standing right there.....
Chubby Twigarms?

No, the original poster. Its kind of funny that he would say that here but I guess thats all that counts. It doesnt even really make sense considering all hes does is tilting his baseball cap to the back left and wearing shades....but yeah thats OG HxC man. What is it that you consider is cool Turbo???
Ohhh.....sorry.....I read your post and thought that you were someone else.

#36 : June 25, 2008, 01:22:47 PM

I'll take it another step what about "Logo" the gay channel. They get their own network so in all honestly everyone can have their own channel! There is enough broadcasting space for everyone. You don't like it? Turn the channel. You don't want your kids to see it? Block the channel, it's quite easy these days.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#37 : June 25, 2008, 01:24:32 PM

If you consider the fact that since every mainstream hollywood or "White" Awards show there has to be racial diversity or its considered racism. However, for BET Awards last night there was only black artists and entertainers and hosts for the awards. It seems pretty double standard to call racism for not having blacks in the show but not whites in a black show???? I mean of course there were shots of White people operating the cameras for the show and a few appearances in the crowd but the fact that there was no white artists or hosts is simply a double standard. Then again, whites really dont care about being excluded from things.

If that were true we'd not have this thread...

Chev - hand on heart, do you not see an issue with the BET in modern day society.  Honest answer, yes or no.

Dude I am totally not going to debate how I feel about this or any other thread that comes off like this.  It's rather insensitive and insulting to me.  I shouldn't have even commented.  But I just couldn't hold it.  This is totally ridiculous.  I should know better and I will certainly do better...so go ahead with the little backhand comments and your "white" pride...I truly could care less...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#38 : June 25, 2008, 01:22:56 PM

Who cares?

Honestly, this is crazniess.

The Spanish network has an award show and guess what, they're all Spanish people.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 25, 2008, 01:25:06 PM

I think some people need to re-learn the definition of the word "racist".  

Shhh, increased acumen will decrease the entertainment value of the thread

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#40 : June 25, 2008, 01:25:18 PM

I 100% agree, the BET's are hypocritical.  No need for awards based on race, not these days.  Time to move on and hopefully cultivate a truly race-less society.
Based on race?  The award show is based on the channel, is it not?  I bet that M&M guy was there along with many other white people.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 25, 2008, 01:26:33 PM

do you not see an issue with the BET in modern day society.  Honest answer, yes or no.

Huh?

Come on MJS, you're more intelligent than that.

#42 : June 25, 2008, 01:26:49 PM

I think some people need to re-learn the definition of the word "racist". �

Shhh, increased acumen will decrease the entertainment value of the thread

Well you seem to define it quite clearly.

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#43 : June 25, 2008, 01:28:16 PM

Eminem was not there. Very very few white people were that werent apart of the casting/make up/stage production/etc.

Aye, So we cut Clifton Smith?!?!

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

Pirate Zone

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 25, 2008, 01:31:47 PM

You know I'm sick of all the inuendo.  Just come out and own it if you don't like black folks. Makes it easier for all of us to identify who we're relly dealing with here...Don't dance around the topic and make up threads that are based on sort of not liking it. Just come out of the closet...

It's too bad that society as a whole isn't more like the neighborhood we grew up in Chev, because as you know we had black, white, and latinos living around there, and ALL of us got along and didn't care about each other's skin.  

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BET awards « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools