Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Top 50 NFL Players by CBS ....not 1 Buc made it. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#30 : June 27, 2008, 07:12:16 AM

Teams win championships, not the top players. How many Rays were on the CBS top player list when the baseball season started?
When the Bucs won the Super Bowl, they had 6 players who could be considered top 5 at their positions.

The thread is titled "The Top 50 NFL Players by CBS". I don't think all six would make the top NFL 50 players for that season. Might want to keep in mind the players who came up big vs the Eagles and the Raiders. They were Jackson, Jurevicius, Pittman, Smith, & Spires. None in the top NFL 50. Is it not the team coming together at the right time that won a SB?
Maybe it was because teams would need to focus so much of their gameplans to neutralize the Bucs' best players, it allowed the second bananas to make big plays.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#31 : June 27, 2008, 07:43:33 AM

I heard rumors that Luke McCown just missed it at 57

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#32 : June 27, 2008, 08:26:16 AM

Teams win championships, not the top players. How many Rays were on the CBS top player list when the baseball season started?
When the Bucs won the Super Bowl, they had 6 players who could be considered top 5 at their positions.

Very valid point

Ronde, Sapp, Lynch, Brooks, Rice.

Ok, I see 5, who am I missing that you are counting? It's no one on offense, that's for sure.
I was inlcuding Key. It may be vogue to not think of him as that great now, but by the 2002 season he had made 3 of the previous 4 pro bowls and was also the highest paid receiver in the league.
I would include "Alstott up the gut" to be the best player at his position that year. Sixth ProBowl, third straight, 4 TDs in post season. That run against Cleveland kind of said it all.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#33 : June 27, 2008, 09:23:02 AM

I just can't put this all together,  All the players are somewhere between total suck and average, the GM sucks, the head coach really sucks, the ocord sucks, and yet they still clinched the division with games left in their pocket.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#34 : June 27, 2008, 10:07:09 AM

I just can't put this all together,  All the players are somewhere between total suck and average, the GM sucks, the head coach really sucks, the ocord sucks, and yet they still clinched the division with games left in their pocket.
Pathetic division followed up by a pathetic showing against the Giants. But with a better O-line, Graham starting and Dunn supporting him, an improved Clayton, Bryant and Parris Warren....maybe this offense can be respectable.

#35 : June 27, 2008, 10:53:21 AM

if they continued tht list to 100, there still wouldn't be any Bucs.    Garcia MIGHT have made it last year, ONLY because of the number of hurt starting QBs.  lets face it folks, this ownership shops for value, as if it were THEIR money.   However, I think that is OUR money...  the fans pay the bills around here, and I think ownership has a duty to put the absolute best talent possible on the field.   

MBF

Hall of Famer

#36 : June 27, 2008, 11:01:01 AM

if they continued tht list to 100, there still wouldn't be any Bucs. Garcia MIGHT have made it last year, ONLY because of the number of hurt starting QBs. lets face it folks, this ownership shops for value, as if it were THEIR money. However, I think that is OUR money... the fans pay the bills around here, and I think ownership has a duty to put the absolute best talent possible on the field.
What does the number of "hurt starting QBs" have to do with anything? The best players are the best players. I also take exception to the notion that the list to 100 wouldn't include any Bucs, as Barber would surely merit a spot.

Once again FloridaNative makes an absolutely worthless post, that's been the one constant in a turbulent off-season.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#37 : June 27, 2008, 11:03:26 AM

Fitzgerald is the best receiver in the NFL no matter the criteria and not only is he not even in the top 25, he's like the 5th receiver on the list!  

The best WR in the NFL is T.O.

That's fine if you want to feel that way, I won't argue, I'll just disagree.  Even if T.O. were the best, he's not that much better than Fitz.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#38 : June 27, 2008, 11:03:33 AM

popular players. This list only proves that it is overrated to have just star players on your team. Look at our team. No pro bowlers. Just a bunch of guys working together to win games. It has nothing to do with the coaching staff. It has everything to do with the guys on the team doing their job so they can win games. That is far more relevant than the stat sheets.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 27, 2008, 11:07:45 AM

Very valid point

Ok, I see 5, who am I missing that you are counting? It's no one on offense, that's for sure.
I was inlcuding Key. It may be vogue to not think of him as that great now, but by the 2002 season he had made 3 of the previous 4 pro bowls and was also the highest paid receiver in the league.

Can't agree at all with you there.  In 2002, Harrison, Moss, Ward, Burress, Horn, Holt, & Owens were all better than him.  An arguement for Toomer can be made as well.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#40 : June 27, 2008, 11:12:26 AM

Very true ABuc, but Brooks is just as good as or better than Sims and Lofa. For 1 year, no one is going to convince me that Sims or Lofa is a better choice... on the same page, sure, but not better.

Also, Welker better than Galloway... I'm afraid not. Both Trufant and Ronder are better than Samuel.

You think Brooks is just as good as Tatupu right now? Insanity.....

Lofa in the last 3 seasons (his first 3), has 6 Int's, 1 TD, 6.5 sacks, and 262 tackles.
Brooks, 4 Int's, 1 TD, 4 sacks, and 273 tackles.

So YES, I think Brooks, right now, for this year, is just as good as Lofa.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 27, 2008, 11:17:19 AM

STEPHEN JACKSON,MARIO WILLIAMS, AND CARSON PALMER MAKE IT OVER RONDE OR DERRICK BROOKS?!?!?! Lol.....

That is when i know this article is a joke.....
When someone makes a statement like that, that's when you know they are a homer. This list was probably not based off of what Brooks did in 1999-2002, it's based off now. If you think Brooks is 1 of the top 50 still today on June 26th, 2008, than you need a dose of reality.

Very true ABuc, but Brooks is just as good as or better than Sims and Lofa. For 1 year, no one is going to convince me that Sims or Lofa is a better choice... on the same page, sure, but not better.

Also, Welker better than Galloway... I'm afraid not. Both Trufant and Ronder are better than Samuel.
Welker is better than Galloway. I'd trade straight up for Welker any day of the week. Galloway is so overrated by Buccs fans it kills me.

Had you said that before last season people would have mocked you and called you a moron.  Welker NEEDED a stud WR on the outside... both sides, of him, PLUS, a stud QB - an all-time great, and an excellent O-Line along side of him to accomplish slightly more than Galloway with a decent line, being the ONLY offensive threat, and a mediocre QB.

Galloway is better than Welker... plain and simple.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#42 : June 27, 2008, 11:25:17 AM

Very valid point

Can't agree at all with you there. In 2002, Harrison, Moss, Ward, Burress, Horn, Holt, & Owens were all better than him. An arguement for Toomer can be made as well.
Harrison, yes. Moss, yes. Ward, no way. Prior to 2002, his career high for a season was 1,003 yards. Burress, no. Prior to 2002, his career high for a season was 1,008 yards. Horn is arguable. Holt, yes. Owens, yes.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#43 : June 27, 2008, 11:37:01 AM

Very valid point

Can't agree at all with you there. In 2002, Harrison, Moss, Ward, Burress, Horn, Holt, & Owens were all better than him. An arguement for Toomer can be made as well.
Harrison, yes. Moss, yes. Ward, no way. Prior to 2002, his career high for a season was 1,003 yards. Burress, no. Prior to 2002, his career high for a season was 1,008 yards. Horn is arguable. Holt, yes. Owens, yes.

2002 was the year that Hines and Plax showed that they were better than Key.  Sure it may have been their breakout years, but it was at that point when they showed they were better.  You want to argue Horn, fine, I'd say they would be comparable, but I won't agree with you on Ward and Burress.  Also, a name I left out was Amani Toomer.  From 99-03 his numbers were at worst comparable.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#44 : June 27, 2008, 01:20:45 PM

And no Bucs made the just missed list.
Just missed: Julius Peppers, DE, Carolina Panthers; Larry Johnson, RB, Kansas City Chiefs; Patrick Kerney, DE, Seattle Seahawks; Troy Polamalu, S, Pittsburgh Steelers; Adrian Wilson, S, Arizona Cardinals; Antonio Cromartie, CB, San Diego Chargers' Terence Newman, CB, Dallas Cowboys; DeMeco Ryans, LB, Houston Texans; Tony Romo, QB, Dallas Cowboys.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Top 50 NFL Players by CBS ....not 1 Buc made it. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools