Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Could Pac-10 Be the Next to Expand? « previous next »
Page: 1

LFO

Hall of Famer

: June 16, 2008, 09:00:23 PM

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=424038

Lost amid the hoopla of Tom Hansen retiring as Pac-10 commissioner is this reality: The league could be the next to expand to 12 teams. Hansen fought expansion, but shrinking university budgets could force the Pac-10's hand.

Expanding to 12 would allow the conference to split into divisions and reap the monetary rewards of a championship game while giving the league more negotiating weight with television and bowl contracts. Two of the top candidates for the job -- WAC commissioner Karl Benson and former Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg -- have the personality to sway the league's presidents and would be proactive in pursuing expansion.

Any expansion would revolve around television markets, which means BYU and/or Utah (Salt Lake City) would be at the top of the list. Boise State would be the top draw in terms of fan interest. ...

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 16, 2008, 10:22:03 PM

10/10 need to vote yes. Hansen said on the local radio here would be very tough. He said the closet it would have got was when Texas thought about going to the pac-10.

Im just glad hes leaving. A guy who thinks a FSN College basketball is better then Monday night on ESPN 9EST/6P is an idiot.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 16, 2008, 11:52:07 PM

In a lot of ways it would make sense......PAC 10 could use the $$$.

And we all could hope it might push us closer to a playoff.  I think absent ALL conferences having a CCG, it will be that much tougher....

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 17, 2008, 09:01:32 AM

I would love to see Boise St. and maybe Fresno St.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 17, 2008, 08:51:26 PM

I would love to see Boise St. and maybe Fresno St.

its not all about football... I dont want to see Boise State basketball. Not to mention the pac-10 strength is track and I dont even know if those schools have track.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 17, 2008, 08:52:37 PM

In a lot of ways it would make sense......PAC 10 could use the $$$.

And we all could hope it might push us closer to a playoff. I think absent ALL conferences having a CCG, it will be that much tougher....

I dont know about the pac-10 needing money, most schools seem to do fine. Its not like its the wac or wcc. The facilities at almost all the schools are top notch.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#6 : June 18, 2008, 01:56:13 PM

How about Fresno St and San Diego state?   Admit that would make it really California heavy but it is a thought.

BYU and Utah would work.  as would perhaps Boise ST and someone else.

Get Notre Dame to finally join the Big ten and get Memphis USM UCF and Marshall in the Big East and a real playoff could become a reality.  Certainly could improve scheduling if a real playoff happened.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 20, 2008, 07:48:51 PM

How about Fresno St and San Diego state? Admit that would make it really California heavy but it is a thought.

BYU and Utah would work. as would perhaps Boise ST and someone else.

Get Notre Dame to finally join the Big ten and get Memphis USM UCF and Marshall in the Big East and a real playoff could become a reality. Certainly could improve scheduling if a real playoff happened.

I really dont know. I think Utah and BYU would be the most likely... but does BYU play basketball on saturday?

Tom Hansen said women sports is very important in the decision as well, and I know nothing about them.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Could Pac-10 Be the Next to Expand? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools