Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL live hyping Favre to Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

dptodd

Rookie
: July 07, 2008, 03:08:23 AM

Whether  or not this has some veracity to it is not the issue.  The way I see it, this would be a problematic situation IF it were a possibility.  Entering into any kind of negotiations for Farve will create tension with Garcia who has shown that he really is mainly about the money.  If there is a possibility of this happening and the Bucs pursue it, there will likely be a really huge fallout if it doesn't happen.  Garcia will know that he would've been the odd man out and likely would hinder his future contract negotiations.  I may be wrong about this, but entering into this kind of situation has the potential to really harm the Bucs.  Then again, Farve in Tampa is something I would really like to see.  Am I wrong in thinking this has disaster written all over it?

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 07, 2008, 02:17:46 AM

Hate we know that several teams were angling for his services...as in any year when a decent QB prosepct hits FA. Especially after coming off the bench to lead the Eagles to 5 or 6 straight wins and the playoffs.

Now I'm not one of those starry eyed Garcia backers that have been talked about here, because he's defintely got some hang ups - one being his age - but lets not re-write history. Lets give the guy his due. He's NFL caliber and we haven't seen that in a long time.

I don't care how you measure it - we win with Garcia. Now if that gave Luke McCown some study time and first person personal learning opportunity and he can legitimately challenge Jeff Garcia on the field - great! We will have a guy that constantly pushes Luke to improve and if he's not ready to go Garcia will be ready to come off the bench and we've already seen that he starts fast and come in and do well cold.

I saw some great potential out of McCown during last season - but I didn't see anything to say that he was ready to go - did anyone else? I did not see Luke McCown make a statement that he was better than Garcia. I'd LOVE to see that in TC, and I am watching it - but I am not expecting it to happen. Gradkowski is gone and we drafted the new kid - Johnson - anybody think he'll be ready to go? And what about Greise, anybody seriously think that Greise can be a starter after failing in Denver, Tampa Bay AND Chicago? I mean all he had to do was beat out Rex Grossman and he couldn't do that!? How good do you REALLY think he is...? We need Garcia to be on top of his game, Luke to be very close to dethroning him in camp and Greise ready to step in should anything happen - Johnson is a darkhorse and a project I am not seriously considering him at this point.

So, based on the work they all turned in last year - Garcia is clearly the man until he's knocked off the perch. That's how I see it as the Bucs are heading into camp...

Incomparable sig by Incognito

#2 : July 07, 2008, 12:32:07 AM

As far as his salary demands go, as I recall he was a very highly sought after free agent QB. We got him, signed him to a decent contract - but it wasn't anywhere near what a starting QB with the ability to lead a good (not great) offense to the playoffs.

Highly sought after? LMAO!!!!!

He visited the Raiders and signed here. Actually, if the Raiders thought so highly of him, they surely would've signed him to a better contract than the one he signed here and is upset with ONE year later.

Carmella, is that you?

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 06, 2008, 11:27:23 PM

Garcia has been running this offense for many years and has the understanding to know where to go with the ball in every circumstance. He still has the atheletic ability to get the job done.

As far as his salary demands go, as I recall he was a very highly sought after free agent QB. We got him, signed him to a decent contract - but it wasn't anywhere near what a starting QB with the ability to lead a good (not great) offense to the playoffs. His offense produced an overall ranking of 18th. That is rare for a Buc QB. In his first year, and under a lot of scrutiny, and he performed. He gave us all a thrill...gave our team a thrill.

Give him a decent upgrade (pay him) to what a middle of the pack NFL QB makes, one that won't hurt us long term. Then let him perform with the other 16 QB's we already have. But everyone ought to know who the 1st place QB is on the roster. Until someone can knock him out of first -i t should absolutely be Jeff's spot. If he can't be unseated this year, by the guys we have now, it will only get more expensive next year and we'll be getting fewer years out of him.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#4 : July 03, 2008, 04:27:12 PM

On NFL live they are speculating about a Favre to Tampa move as Gruden loves the vets.  Garcia as the odd man out.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 03, 2008, 04:36:58 PM

Favre without question, no question at all.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 03, 2008, 04:31:22 PM

This is honestly stupid, I'd bet my left nut it won't happen

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#7 : July 03, 2008, 04:33:33 PM

Unlikely but Green Bay may not want him.  Who would you rather have Favre or Garcia?

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 03, 2008, 04:46:41 PM

If this weren't the off-season I'd say there'd be something to this.

Being that it IS the off-season - I'd say - it's a slow news day.

Turn the page.

Nobody loses by engaging in this speculation. Favre wins publicity, Gruden and our Bucs get mentioned in the same sentence as Favre (around here even Warren Sapp is a winner, as people think of Sapp chasing Favre in those glory days...long ago...about 6 or 7 seasons I think...).

The fans get to dream of number 4 throwing bombs to....Joey...and...

...and that's where the dream ends. 'cuz there isn't anyone else to throw to - other than tightends and you don't hit tightends in stride 40 yards down field.

You hit tight ends and retirement age runningbacks in stride 10 yards downfield...so Garcia is the man...

yea.

What were we talking about again...?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 03, 2008, 05:45:13 PM

Garcia and Favre are both old.  Thing is, Favre NEVER gets hurt...Garcia WILL get hurt.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 03, 2008, 05:51:06 PM

You want to give up a 1st round draft pick (and possibly more) for a QB that will retire again at the end of the year? What kind of insanity is that? I mean I know there is suddenly this wave of the Garcia-hate virus going around but lets try to maintain some sense of reality here.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 03, 2008, 07:09:59 PM

Easy answer for me cyber - a first round draft pick is waaay too much for Favre.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 03, 2008, 07:21:09 PM

Favre and Mickey Mouse have the same chance of playing for the Bucs next season.

ZERO.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#13 : July 03, 2008, 08:36:16 PM

Who said anything about a 1st.  Rumour has it he could just get released

#14 : July 03, 2008, 08:42:05 PM

If this weren't the off-season I'd say there'd be something to this.

Being that it IS the off-season - I'd say - it's a slow news day.

Turn the page.

Nobody loses by engaging in this speculation. Favre wins publicity, Gruden and our Bucs get mentioned in the same sentence as Favre (around here even Warren Sapp is a winner, as people think of Sapp chasing Favre in those glory days...long ago...about 6 or 7 seasons I think...).

The fans get to dream of number 4 throwing bombs to....Joey...and...

...and that's where the dream ends. 'cuz there isn't anyone else to throw to - other than tightends and you don't hit tightends in stride 40 yards down field.

You hit tight ends and retirement age runningbacks in stride 10 yards downfield...so Garcia is the man...

yea.

What were we talking about again...?

Umm, what you smokin' dog?  This ain't gonna happen, but that has nothing to do with our WRs. 

BUT, if he decided to show up, GB is screwed, they have to move him.  Between Rodgers and Brohm, it's time to let go.  Everyone would know, like they know about us and Simms, that eventually he'd be released.  The bidding would be for who has the rights to one or two more years of Favre.  It wouldn't get too steep IMO.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL live hyping Favre to Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools