Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL live hyping Favre to Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #30 : July 04, 2008, 11:12:32 AM »

Favre is better than Garcia in every aspect, not just arm strength.   But I have no problem with Garcia leading our offense.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #31 : July 04, 2008, 11:14:24 AM »

Chris Simms has a stronger arm than Garcia. Simms can launch the ball 50+ yards.

But there is a lot more to being a QB than arm strength.

Yea - getting past the Dline and getting to where someone can catch have been a larger challenge than expected for SOP. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #32 : July 07, 2008, 10:19:17 AM »

I'll go out on a limb and say Steve Young, right now, has a stronger arm than Garcia.
Maybe, but his coconut is one hit away from being a pina colada. It would be criminal to put him behind the Bucs' o-line.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #33 : July 07, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »

I know it's fun right now to bash the starting QB here in Tampa, but...

Garcia wanted to play for Gruden. He has for years. If he had not signed in Tampa, he would have signed elsewhere and would have very likely stepped in as the immediate starter on whatever team he signed with. A number of teams other than the Raiders would have been knocking on his door.

« #34 : July 07, 2008, 10:04:39 AM »

bring Favre to the Bucs, just for the entertainment value.  the Bucs aren't a Division rival to the Packers...   I couldnt see him going to the Bears, Lions or Vikings.   So get out of -40 temperatures and move to Florida Brett. 

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
« #35 : July 07, 2008, 07:49:32 AM »

Josh Johnson, say hello to your new mentor. Brett Favre!

Wouldn't that be nice? If you're going to learn why not learn from one of the greatest WCO QB's to date?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #36 : July 07, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »

As far as his salary demands go, as I recall he was a very highly sought after free agent QB. We got him, signed him to a decent contract - but it wasn't anywhere near what a starting QB with the ability to lead a good (not great) offense to the playoffs.

Highly sought after? LMAO!!!!!

He visited the Raiders and signed here. Actually, if the Raiders thought so highly of him, they surely would've signed him to a better contract than the one he signed here and is upset with ONE year later.

Carmella, is that you?

I believe Garcia was considered the best FA qb available at the time - there was a ruckus in Philly bc of his departure.

AND - who are the folks saying Garcia is anything more than NFL average - which still would lead the pack of Buccs' qb - but let's not go there - who is saying Garcia is more than NFL average - I know I have said his is NFL average to perhaps slightly better a few times. 

AND that - being slightly better than NFL average does put him in the Buccs all time best qb group of 3.  Just sayin' Hate. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

« #37 : July 07, 2008, 05:58:53 PM »

Whether or not this has some veracity to it is not the issue. The way I see it, this would be a problematic situation IF it were a possibility. Entering into any kind of negotiations for Farve will create tension with Garcia who has shown that he really is mainly about the money. If there is a possibility of this happening and the Bucs pursue it, there will likely be a really huge fallout if it doesn't happen. Garcia will know that he would've been the odd man out and likely would hinder his future contract negotiations.

There should be NO future contract negotiations.

« #38 : July 07, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »

I know it's fun right now to bash the starting QB here in Tampa, but...

Garcia wanted to play for Gruden. He has for years. If he had not signed in Tampa, he would have signed elsewhere and would have very likely stepped in as the immediate starter on whatever team he signed with. A number of teams other than the Raiders would have been knocking on his door.

I'm not bashing the guy..... i just don't want this team to extend a 38 yr old qb obviously on his last legs.

Secondly, the notion that Garcia "wanted to play for Gruden" is a subject for debate. He's had 5 yrs to play for Gruden and each year chose to go wherever the most money was being offered....... even using the Bucs to get more $$ elsewhere.  Not saying thats a bad thing but lets be honest here. He openly professed his desire to stay in Philly last year prior to not being offered a contract and upon the arrival of free agency, his first visit was the Raiders. Now there's no way of confirming it but his history tells me had the Raiders offered him more coin, he'd have signed there and been back on the free agent market this year about to sign with his 6th team in 6 yrs.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

« #39 : July 07, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »

Josh Johnson, say hello to your new mentor. Brett Favre!

Wouldn't that be nice? If you're going to learn why not learn from one of the greatest WCO QB's to date?

That's what I was just thinking.... who better than Favre.
Clayton is still saying that we are the top NFC team IF they decide to ship him somewhere IF he comes back. It actually does look like he might come back though.

It's going to be a long July for NFL fans and especially the Packers.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #40 : July 07, 2008, 07:29:26 PM »

Not really...only a few teams will be interested. Carolina has already said they dont want him.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

« #41 : July 07, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »

Its just talk, but its fun to imagine.  Farve is not the same Favre he was back in the day, but he is better than Garcia in every which way one QB can be better than another.
Farve is a gunslinger and throws alot of INTS, but with the talent we have he should be good for 30 TD's +/- and even if he throws 30 TD"s /20 INTs we would be a much better team than Garcias 13TDs/4 INTs. Its easier for our D to cover a QBS mistakes than it is for them to score TD's. So maybe Favre will throw 1-2 INTS in a game, he will also throw 2-3 TD's each game, a TD is worth points and INT (Unless Griese is throwing it) just means our D has to step it up and get the ball back to the O.

« #42 : July 07, 2008, 07:44:34 PM »

Quote from: Peter King
We are early in what I can guarantee will be a very tumultuous month in the recurring Brett Favre will-he-or-won't-he saga, and what I can tell you for sure is this: No. 4 wants to play football again, and the Green Bay Packers desperately do not want him to.

Will he play? I don't know. I don't think he knows. He has, however, told coach Mike McCarthy he wants to return.

The issue is going to be pressed soon. I fully expect Favre's agent to send a letter to the Packers within the next 10 days, stating that Favre, 38, wants to be taken off the National Football League's reserve/retired list. At that point, the team will have no choice but to re-admit the league's most accomplished statistical quarterback ever back to football, and general manager Ted Thompson and McCarthy will have a decision to make that you can be sure is keeping them up nights. They can take Favre and his $12.8-million cap number back onto the team and give him his starting job back, they can trade him or they can release him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/07/07/favre/index.html

MBF

Hall of Famer

« #43 : July 07, 2008, 07:49:26 PM »

Not really...only a few teams will be interested. Carolina has already said they dont want him.
Carolina could use Favre. Delhomme's coming off an injury and Moore's career highlight is beating our B Team. Everyone, and when I say everyone, I mean ESPN, think the Panthers will challenge this year but I just don't see it. Their QB situation isn't good enough for them to say they don't need him. If it's a case of not wanting him, I'd have to question their FO on that. Favre would be the ideal QB to help them compete now, while they groom Moore to be the long-term solution (if they think he is).  Except for Delhomme, their QB's are young and inexperienced, so one would assume they'd welcome an established QB like him. Having said that, I'm thrilled Favre's not going to a division rival.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #44 : July 07, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »

He will go to either Minny or Chicago.

I dont think the Bucs will be interested. We always show interest in a big names at first but then never progress on it. If anything the front office may use this as leverage to get Garcia to accept his contract. But Garcia would have to hold out in order for the Bucs to be motivated to make a serious push here.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL live hyping Favre to Bucs « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools