Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would You Vote for an Atheist for President? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 02, 2008, 02:41:59 PM

My answer is a definite NO, because we are supposed to be "one nation under God" and I would like a president who is at least on board with that concept.

This nation was formed to allow ALL believers and non-believers to be equal.

BTW, the "under God" part of the pledge wasn't added until 1955. The original words were...

"I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 02, 2008, 02:42:58 PM

Depends...

You cant vote on someone based on thier religion alone. thats what i believe.

I think what he's really asking is would you NOT vote for someone JUST BECAUSE he's an atheist or Muslim.....

For me, it wouldn't be a problem for either but an atheist would definitely get a stronger look because they would be more grounded...

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 02, 2008, 02:45:47 PM

I would prefer an Atheist.

I agree.  

#33 : July 02, 2008, 02:47:16 PM

For me, it wouldn't be a problem for either but an atheist would definitely get a stronger look because they would be more grounded...

That is my reasoning to.

Bucluva101

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 02, 2008, 06:18:25 PM

Atheist - Yes

Muslim - No

acacius

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 02, 2008, 06:20:13 PM

Repent for the return of Jesus Christ is at hand.  Surrender your life to God, repent of your sins, walk in your purpose, and watch for His return. 

Good advice in general, but I would be inclined to caution that he also said that "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father".  This certainly wouldn't be the first time someone's misinterpreted that fig tree.  I like to think there are plenty of reasons to come to Christ even if the End of Days isn't at hand.

I'm also inclined to disagree with your interpretation of 1 Cor 51-55 and 1 Thess 4:15-17, but then, I'm a dirty amillenial Catholic.  That's probably not worth debating here.

And yes, this IS the same Acacius who's been arguing so vociferously for a pro-evolution standpoint and how he'd consider a hypothetical Muslim cadidate's religion to be irrelevant.

:p

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 02, 2008, 02:54:35 PM

I would vote for somebody no matter what their religion happens to be. Planned policies or platform
is what matters to me. And I don't care if they were a former wrestler and I don't care if some of
their (RP) ideas (abolish the Fed) are highly controversial. If you want true change, you're going to
have to put up with some controversy and see what happens. And an Atheist would be a good
start.

But I would hesitate in a big way if I heard a politician say he wanted to "take back this nation for Christ"
like Huckabee did. I don't care where he said it. And he claimed that God helped him kill a deer. That's a
deal breaker!

I have no problem with the Atheist or Muslim. But sadly, that's not the case for A LOT of Americans. And
some of them are here.

Every politician that has run for POTUS has had to play the "I believe in Jesus" card. The only one who
is a possible candidate in the future who would not play that card is Ventura. "Organized religion is a
crutch for weak minded people," is what Jesse said. You might not like that he said that and you
might disagree with him but I would hope you respect him for speaking his mind and not catering
to the masses in order to get elected. Isn't that what got us into the mess we're into now?

Come to think of it, I TOO would prefer the Atheist.

Update

I just read an interview that Jesse did with Russert way back when after he made the "religion
is a crutch comments." And guess what? Jesse played the Jesus Christ is the Savior card too!
Et tu, Jesse?

There's no hope!

But I'd still vote for him. He doesn't show any signs of bringing religion into any part of government.
And I agree with most of his platform. That's what counts.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 02, 2008, 03:03:15 PM

I would certainly and bet that some politicians are atheists but have to pretend to follow a faith to generate votes. .

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 02, 2008, 03:04:45 PM

I would certainly and bet that some politicians are atheists but have to pretend to follow a faith to generate votes. .

Just like some are gay and have to pretend to be straight.

Mark Foley? Larry "Wide Stance" Craig?

acacius

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 02, 2008, 03:05:58 PM

For me, the bottom line is that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

Now, certainly, that is only binding upon the governement.  If I wanted to, I'd be perfectly entitled to vote against a candidate because of his faith.  However, I prefer to look upon the Constitution as more than merely a set of legalistic rules to follow.  

As I see it (YMM and in some cases clearly does V), if I look at the Constitution as a set of concepts and ideals as well as the rule of law, I have a hard time justifying to myself the idea of voting against a candidate due to his faith.  That is, just as I would not want to government to enforce religious tests for office, I consider it innappropriate to apply one to the candidates myself.

If a candidate is a poor candidate, I believe I should be able to find good reasons for believing so beyond his being a Quantum Presbyterian or whatever.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#40 : July 02, 2008, 03:06:37 PM

A persons religion does not matter to me it is the persons policies and actions.

#41 : July 02, 2008, 03:12:59 PM

I agree with you on this!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 02, 2008, 03:17:32 PM

I found out the hard way in the past that you cannot admit to being an athiest.   Whenever a client of mine asks about religion, I now lie and tell them I'm christian.  People will accept that regardless of their religion and athiests accept it as well because they are open minded.  But if you tell them you are an athiest, and they are not an athiest, they think there is something wrong with you and may even choose not to do business with you in the future only for that reason.   

#43 : July 02, 2008, 03:19:55 PM

I found out the hard way in the past that you cannot admit to being an athiest.   Whenever a client of mine asks about religion, I now lie and tell them I'm christian.  People will accept that regardless of their religion and athiests accept it as well because they are open minded.  But if you tell them you are an athiest, and they are not an athiest, they think there is something wrong with you and may even choose not to do business with you in the future only for that reason.   

Great point to.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 02, 2008, 03:24:20 PM

I wouldn't want an atheist anywhere NEAR the red button.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would You Vote for an Atheist for President? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools