Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WOW! Britain's top judge declares it is OKAY to use Muslim law (from the Koran) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 07, 2008, 12:28:15 PM

I think Sharia law also is quite harsh against gays. I know for sure sodomy is punishable by imprisonment. I'm surprised Joe is for this sharia law, but also for gay marriage. Seems a drastic contradiction to me.

I haven't seen Joe post anything indicating which side he is on.

Regarding gays; the ruling isn't that Sharia will be used for criminal law or statute enforcement, just as an alternative to mediation and arbitration.

filmfx66

Rookie

#31 : July 07, 2008, 01:12:01 PM

I think Sharia law also is quite harsh against gays. I know for sure sodomy is punishable by imprisonment. I'm surprised Joe is for this sharia law, but also for gay marriage. Seems a drastic contradiction to me.

I haven't seen Joe post anything indicating which side he is on.

Regarding gays; the ruling isn't that Sharia will be used for criminal law or statute enforcement, just as an alternative to mediation and arbitration.

But the fact that religion is making its way into the legal system at all is scary. I know people do not like the slippery slope argument but this is just what this is. As soon as it is used to settle one case, another will come up and another and another. We already have radicals here in the US who refuse to give their kids medical care in favor of prayer. How soon before they get off for their crimes because their religious law dictates it as something legal.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#32 : July 07, 2008, 01:48:02 PM

Again, criminal law and civil law are 2 seperate things.  There is no slippery slope because it's 2 different hills.

The biggest problem with allowing Sharia law for mediation/arbitration would be in marital law.  If a recent immigrant woman agreed to a prenup with a Sharia mediation clause and then wanted a divorce she could get screwed because she didn't understand her options initially.  For marriage issues I see the problem, especially if the wife decides she doesn't want to be Muslim anymore.  But for business contracts, partnerships and the like, I don't see the problem because the old saying "read what you sign" is still true.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WOW! Britain's top judge declares it is OKAY to use Muslim law (from the Koran) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools