Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did this game just show us......? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

: December 17, 2006, 06:04:43 PM

That the rest of the offense can be good enough if we only had a QB. I personally started off on, Draft a QB with the first pick a few weeks ago, but the last week or so the OT Thomas pick has been gaining a lot of ground. But at least for me, the QB is way out in front again.  Just think, if a QB can make quick throws on a consistent basis, then the D has to start playing back. This opens the run game and the vertical passing game. Every week now all we have seen is basic single man coverage and stack the box.  JG and Ike's TD's proved you can get burned bad if the QB can make that throw.

I know a rookie QB usually struggles his first year, but if Rattay can keep doing what he did today, I think that means the Oline is good enough and QB is the weaker link.

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

#1 : December 17, 2006, 06:20:51 PM

BINGO my friend.....this is why for 4-5 weeks ow I have been screaming for Gradkowski to be pulled. Just think of how many MORE games would have been won under Rattay....And hense the fact I am PRO Simms resigning

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#2 : December 17, 2006, 06:24:45 PM

Simms is not the answer, can't run a WCO well.

Warhorse

Second String

#3 : December 17, 2006, 06:28:35 PM

Yes it does.

I have said on several threads that this team needs a good QB, a nasty DT and better safety play and we would be back in the thick of things again.

That's why, imo, the Glazers will not fire Gruden.

Just look at the miraculous turnaround the Ravens have made with a good QB.

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 17, 2006, 06:29:58 PM

Simms is not the answer, can't run a WCO well.

I agree, Simms is not the answer. The one thing Simms and Grads(so far)have in common is the inability to make a quick decision and act on it. That is the essential quality for a QB to possess in a three step quick fire offense.

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

#2Linebacker32

Starter

#5 : December 17, 2006, 06:30:38 PM

I have been saying this also, I reallt like Ratty. I have followed him every since SF drated him and he played very good under the conditions that he was playing under in SF. The knock on him coming out of SF was that he doesnt look good in practice but he plays well on Sundays. Basically you can't judge him by practice because he has never been one of those practice guys. Kind of like Allen Iverson"Practive. we talking about practice".

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#6 : December 17, 2006, 06:51:39 PM

Gruden should have first gone to Rattay and given him a chance.  He had stars in his eyes wrt Gradkowski.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#7 : December 17, 2006, 06:52:57 PM

I don't know if you can say that after 1 game.

The last 2 will tell alot.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#8 : December 17, 2006, 07:23:31 PM

Gruden should have first gone to Rattay and given him a chance. He had stars in his eyes wrt Gradkowski.

As did the rest of the coaching staff; as did anyone who watched both play in preseason.

Look, no one can deny that Rattay played better today.  But it's not like the decision to have Grads the #2 was some arbitrary decision based on nothing.  Hell, after the way preseason looked, fans would have KILLED Gruden if he put Rattay #2, and the damning point screamed from up on high would have been the old "Gruden plays vets with nothing left over raw young guys with potential...just give the young guy a chance to grow; they've got to play to get experience"

Anyone who was here for offseason/preseason knows that's what the reaction from the fans would have been.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#9 : December 17, 2006, 07:28:35 PM

Well, if two players are close in most aspects (same height, mobility, lack of arm strength) but experience I'd say it makes sense to start with the vet first but I can understand why Gradkowski got the first shot.  he should have been pulled about 4 games ago at a minimum.

gone

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 17, 2006, 10:44:21 PM

The time to pull Grads (now that we have 20/20) was today.  My original thought on this (again 20/20) was prolly after the Dallas game, that's when he really started looking lost.  But as a coach trying to groom the guy, do you pull him the week before hsi big hometown game in PIT?  And then, as much as that was a bad day, he didnt look so bad you couldn't see a few rays, but even if, do you pull the guy after his performance in said hometown game?  Or give him 1 more week to seperate so he doesn't have to look at it like he embarassed himself so badly in front of his family and friends that he got benched?
Before Dallas would have been too early.  But benching him before or after PIT may cause permanent damage to a guy you have high hopes for.  Competing for a playoff berth things may be different, but given the sitch, it's the right call.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 17, 2006, 11:50:14 PM

Yes it does.

I have said on several threads that this team needs a good QB, a nasty DT and better safety play and we would be back in the thick of things again.

That's why, imo, the Glazers will not fire Gruden.

Just look at the miraculous turnaround the Ravens have made with a good QB.
I agree. I think this team has a lot of the pieces, They just need the playmakers, about four of them or so. Thats a tall order, but not as tall as having a new regime come in and have to start all over.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#12 : December 17, 2006, 11:54:28 PM

The offense was really beginning to doubt themselves.   Rattay has given this team hope for the future.  His experience is very evident and I think Gruden himself realizes he misjudged the guy's leadership abilities.   He absolutely took over and ran the team today.  

Rattay should start the last two games and the team should play to win period.  You worry about the draft later.  

fessy

Second String

#13 : December 18, 2006, 12:21:14 AM

I think it did as well.

Now, I'm not comparing Rattay to Gannon....at all.  I swear I'm not, but those two long TD passes looked a lot like the Raider offense with Gruden.  I think it knocked Gruden on his ass he was so happy to see it again :)

Rattay made some great throws, but also made a few horrible throws.  Give him the heavy majority of practice snaps this week and see what he can do for a whole game.  If he is crap against the Browns....let Mcnown play a little if he is physically fit for it.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 18, 2006, 01:47:23 AM

Well, also the line played better than it has in previous games. I still want to see some improvement on the O-Line, but right now I think it comes down to Brady Quinn (if the Lions or Raiders don't take him), Russell (if he comes out), or Joe Thomas. All three of these guys should be great players...especially Quinn and Thomas. I wouldn't have a problem with either.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did this game just show us......? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools