Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yet even more brilliant ideas from the UK - racist children! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

filmfx66

Rookie

: July 07, 2008, 07:16:33 PM

Can we PLEASE stop trying to be like the UK and Europe. PLEASE!!

LONDON, July 7 (UPI) -- Toddlers who say "yuck" when given flavorful foreign food may be exhibiting racist behavior, a British government-sponsored organization says.

The London-based National Children's Bureau released a 366-page guide counseling adults on recognizing racist behavior in young children, The Telegraph reported Monday.

The guide, titled Young Children and Racial Justice, warns adults that babies must also be included in the effort to eliminate racism because they have the ability to "recognize different people in their lives."

The bureau says to be aware of children who "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuck'."

"Racist incidents among children in early years settings tend to be around name-calling, casual thoughtless comments and peer group relationships," the guide says.

Staff members are advised not to ignore racist actions and to condemn them when they occur.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=upiUPI-20080707-122008-1071&show_article=1

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 07, 2008, 08:14:31 PM

So lets get this straight: YOU condone racist behavior and condemn attempts to eradicate racism?

filmfx66

Rookie

#2 : July 08, 2008, 01:17:04 AM

So lets get this straight: YOU condone racist behavior and condemn attempts to eradicate racism?

Do you have to remind yourself to breath?

did you read the story?? They are trying to say that KIDS saying YUCK to foods they do not like that may happen to be from another country is somehow racist. Are you kidding me????

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 08, 2008, 02:23:39 AM

I HATE tomatoes. They're red, and have that green stem at the top.

Dash Riprock

Starter

#4 : July 08, 2008, 07:29:13 AM

PC run amok. I hate cabbage, I just offended myself since I'm Irish.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 08, 2008, 08:12:17 AM

So if someone says "Taco" and they say "yuck", that means they hate Mexicans?
Or if someone says "pizza" and say "yuck", that means they hate Italians?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 08, 2008, 08:20:04 AM

Oh brother......

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 08, 2008, 08:48:29 AM

Do you have to remind yourself to breath?

did you read the story?? They are trying to say that KIDS saying YUCK to foods they do not like that may happen to be from another country is somehow racist. Are you kidding me????

No, they are saying it might lead to racism.  You took a biased article (the headline is a giveaway  ;) ), and jumped all over it.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with studying a child's development to determine what causes racism.  Children don't come out racist, they LEARN it and most likely they learn in in the home environment.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 08, 2008, 08:49:13 AM

PC run amok. I hate cabbage, I just offended myself since I'm Irish.

I like cabbage but hate the Irish, go figure.

BucNative

Starter

#9 : July 08, 2008, 09:13:43 AM

Anybody that says that what you like or don't like to eat  MIGHT lead to racism is a monumental moron. 

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 08, 2008, 09:16:17 AM

Anybody that says that what you like or don't like to eat MIGHT lead to racism is a monumental moron.

So a 360-page study of child and adult behaviors means nothing to you?  So Doctor, where and how does racism start?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#11 : July 08, 2008, 09:32:58 AM

So Doctor, where and how does racism start?

Not from saying "yuck" because you don't like a particular food...

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 08, 2008, 09:37:31 AM

So Doctor, where and how does racism start?

Not from saying "yuck" because you don't like a particular food...

How do you know?  Are you a psychologist, have you conducted a major study on it?

We seems to have a lot of very opinionated people with no real basis for their well formed opinions.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : July 08, 2008, 09:45:41 AM

How do you know?  Are you a psychologist, have you conducted a major study on it?

We seems to have a lot of very opinionated people with no real basis for their well formed opinions.

You are being ridiculous.  My opinion is based on experience, not some asinine scientific study. 

How many children like any kind of fine foods, or "flavorful foreign foods?"  Not many adults like fine, flavorful foreign foods.

Kids like chicken nuggets, french fries, hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, and ice cream.  It doesn't take a doctor or genius scientist to figure out what's going on here...and it isn't racism.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 08, 2008, 09:49:48 AM

You are being ridiculous. My opinion is based on experience, not some asinine scientific study.

How many children like any kind of fine foods, or "flavorful foreign foods?" Not many adults like fine, flavorful foreign foods.

Firstly, your experience is in the US, not the UK.  Racism over here is pretty much black and white in most states.  In the Uk they have many more cultures in society.

The study isn't saying it does cause racism, just it MIGHT in some cases.  Children are very influenced by their home environment and if they hear negative comments about a food or racial group it will most likely have an impact.

BTW - I am not saying the study is valid, just playing devils advocate.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yet even more brilliant ideas from the UK - racist children! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools