Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yet even more brilliant ideas from the UK - racist children! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #15 : July 08, 2008, 09:51:20 AM »

How do you know? Are you a psychologist, have you conducted a major study on it?

We seems to have a lot of very opinionated people with no real basis for their well formed opinions.

You are being ridiculous. My opinion is based on experience, not some asinine scientific study.

How many children like any kind of fine foods, or "flavorful foreign foods?" Not many adults like fine, flavorful foreign foods.

Kids like chicken nuggets, french fries, hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, and ice cream. It doesn't take a doctor or genius scientist to figure out what's going on here...and it isn't racism.

I tend to agree that this is a bit of a stretch, although I'm no doctor, I do play one on these boards!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #16 : July 08, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »

Firstly, your experience is in the US, not the UK.  Racism over here is pretty much black and white in most states.  In the Uk they have many more cultures in society.

The study isn't saying it does cause racism, just it MIGHT in some cases.  Children are very influenced by their home environment and if they hear negative comments about a food or racial group it will most likely have an impact.

BTW - I am not saying the study is valid, just playing devils advocate.

Fair enough.

But I don't know how a toddler would even know what country a food was from to decide if they should "racist" against it or not.  No part of this "study" makes sense to me.

And who is wasting money studying this garbage anyways?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #17 : July 08, 2008, 09:56:09 AM »

to play a bit more devils advocate, everything MIGHT lead to something.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #18 : July 08, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »

But I don't know how a toddler would even know what country a food was from to decide if they should "racist" against it or not.  No part of this "study" makes sense to me.

And who is wasting money studying this garbage anyways?

I am pretty sure the study was a little more in depth than what foods kids say "yuk" at.  The article linked above added a nice emotive headline and took a couple of lines from a 360-page study.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #19 : July 08, 2008, 10:06:02 AM »

Do you have a link to the study?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #20 : July 08, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »

The bureau says to be aware of children who "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuck'."

the bureau should say to be aware of adults who "are instilling racism/bigotry in the lives of children".

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #21 : July 08, 2008, 10:19:23 AM »

~ "The London-based National Children's Bureau released a 366-page guide counseling adults on recognizing racist behavior in young children, The Telegraph reported Monday."

I am sure the study was a little more in depth than the headline suggested.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

« #22 : July 08, 2008, 10:31:08 AM »

So if someone says "Taco" and they say "yuck", that means they hate Mexicans?
Yes, they must hate Mexicans. There is no other reason for somebody to dislike the greatness that is........... TACOS
Or if someone says "pizza" and say "yuck", that means they hate Italians?
Depends on the pizza.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

12thbuc

Starter

« #23 : July 08, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »

i hate watermelon j/k

Xbox live: throesch
MSNM: naplesbuc@live.com

Dash Riprock

Starter

« #24 : July 08, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »

PC run amok. I hate cabbage, I just offended myself since I'm Irish.

I like cabbage but hate the Irish, go figure.

Well I'm sure you know how we feel about the Brits.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #25 : July 08, 2008, 01:26:03 PM »

So some hack reporter editorial correspondent (I looked up the original article at The Telegram) takes one paragraph from a 366 page report out of context and everyone goes ape-crap.

All this article proves is that British journalism standards are becoming as crappy as America's.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #26 : July 08, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »

So some hack reporter editorial correspondent (I looked up the original article at The Telegram) takes one paragraph from a 366 page report out of context and everyone goes ape-crap.

If that is a shot at my sig, I won't stand for it.

carlrix

Rookie

« #27 : July 08, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »

dash how do u feel about the brits

Dash Riprock

Starter

« #28 : July 08, 2008, 02:31:18 PM »

I could care
dash how do u feel about the brit

I could care less,but my grandparents, who came here in the 30's absolutely hated them.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yet even more brilliant ideas from the UK - racist children! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools