Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms to Dallas? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 08, 2008, 06:21:38 PM

Didn't know Boldin was available. What did I miss?

Getting Terry Glenn would be a plus - heck - getting much of anything would be a plus.
I meant hypothetically, if they're going to deal for any WR it needs to be Boldin or someone of that type.

Okay - as a hypothetical - what would it take to get a Bolding - or someone of that type?  And who would the buccs use to fill that void - there is nothing happening at that level unless a Boldin gets to FA, and then it will take one or two top picks.  The buccs don't have the excess talent that it would take.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Pirate Zone

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 08, 2008, 06:30:55 PM

Pretty soon we will have had Simms to [insert name] rumors for all 31 teams.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 08, 2008, 06:33:07 PM

MBF - if Boldin comes on the market I am right there with you.  But for a second step back and look at Simms - tell me who would take Simms for or even towards Boldin - heck - Simms would be a throw in and maybe still be rejected.

I liked Chris - when he was performing, before his injury, before whining to the press about how poorly he was treated.  Now - who needs it.  It isn't fair - but it is reality.  Simms last three games were borderline awful, then he sat for almost two years, couldn't throw the ball for a year, and now his value?  Not so much.
Oh I was in no way implying that Simms could've been used as bait in a potential deal for Boldin. When the idea of trading Simms to get Glenn came up, I offered the alternative of using other resources to get Boldin. Glenn's not a bad WR but we've already got Galloway who's a lot like him, and the fact that they're both getting up there in age. I want a guy who's big, strong, and a gamebreaker opposite Galloway. Boldin fits the mold perfectly but he'll be expensive as you probably know. I just don't want to see two Galloway's on the offense because he's a one trick pony. Boldin or someone like him would give us a different kind of threat that has to be accounted for. The only Galloway-esque player who I wouldn't mind seeing the team accquire is Lee Evans.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#33 : July 08, 2008, 06:34:13 PM

Let's hope he gets moved before then Chrispy - this topic is dated.  Well past what I would have thought the expiration date would have been...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#34 : July 08, 2008, 06:37:39 PM

MBF - the question is what would a Boldin like player cost - and whom/what do you think the buccs could/should/might offer for a player of that caliber? 

I will openly admit to having an huge urge for a player just like Boldin - but it is costly - and the buccs don't have talent to give away.  Especially at "skill" positions.  Heck I think the next few buccaneer drafts will be focusing on RB, WR, LOT and QB.  And to get a shot at success at those slots - you need your high picks.  All of them.   

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 08, 2008, 06:41:09 PM

IMHO Gruden's focus over the next three years will be to get plenty of 'juice' in this offense. if it's not here(Clayton, Stoval, Caddy, Smith) it will be because those mentioned will be gone, so those that want to be here better produce.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 08, 2008, 06:41:53 PM

Simms is not an upgrade over Brad Johnson, but I guess he'd be a good project for Dallas.  Either way, we wont get anything for him.  A team like Dallas or Chicago will get Simms when we release him.  I seriously doubt they'd offer anything up for him...

MBF

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 08, 2008, 06:46:33 PM

MBF - the question is what would a Boldin like player cost - and whom/what do you think the buccs could/should/might offer for a player of that caliber?

I will openly admit to having an huge urge for a player just like Boldin - but it is costly - and the buccs don't have talent to give away. Especially at "skill" positions. Heck I think the next few buccaneer drafts will be focusing on RB, WR, LOT and QB. And to get a shot at success at those slots - you need your high picks. All of them.
I'm in the 'trade picks for proven NFL talent' camp, and if the team progress from last year we won't be picking that early. The draft may be a crapshoot but we won't have a shot at a blue-chip (Calvin Johnson types) so we should be open to trades. The price for getting a guy like Boldin would be high but would be well worth it. With this O-line, and steady QB play from Garcia (or so we hope), we'd have all the ingredients of a playoff caliber team. Except a quality WR. Galloway is a good player but he's not a true #1, and if you put a guy like Boldin opposite him he'll be more dangerous. Boldin and Galloway would give DC's a lot to think about, and factor in the RBs and TEs and this offense suddenly looks like an NFL offense. Boldin could take this offense to the next level, and for me, a person who's longing for a formidable offense, that's worth a high draft pick or two.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#38 : July 08, 2008, 07:10:21 PM

I am a Garcia liker, but he is gliding downward to the retirement terminal.  Team needs at this moment in time include RB, WR, LOT and QB - giving up more than one high pick is detrimental to the best interest of the team.

And I am for trading picks for proven talent as well - but proven talent vs elite talent are different talents... 

MBF

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 08, 2008, 07:23:43 PM

I am a Garcia liker, but he is gliding downward to the retirement terminal. Team needs at this moment in time include RB, WR, LOT and QB - giving up more than one high pick is detrimental to the best interest of the team.

That's my point, if you think we're going to be a good team this year we won't be picking high and those are some positions where you want a blue-chip guy and you don't get those in 20's.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#40 : July 08, 2008, 07:26:05 PM

At this moment I see the buccs picking in the low 20s - and that is a nice place to get a good WR or RB.  Just sayin' 

I don't care for picking in the top 10 - too costly and frequently the players a few picks later are just as productive.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 08, 2008, 07:35:00 PM

At this moment I see the buccs picking in the low 20s - and that is a nice place to get a good WR or RB. Just sayin'

I don't care for picking in the top 10 - too costly and frequently the players a few picks later are just as productive.
But what are the chances that player goes on to be as productive as Boldin?

These things vary with each draft class, the last draft would've been perfect if they wanted to get their RB (Mendenhall) and they passed on several WR's. Either they have a lot of faith in the current group or they didn't feel the player was worth the pick. You probably won't get your long-term LT in the 20's and there's a chance the future QB is already on the roster. To be honest after their last picks I'm not so sure I trust this FO to pick the right WR/RB.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#42 : July 09, 2008, 01:44:26 AM

Is he alligator armed like Galloway?

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it MBF?
Galloway has a serious case of alligator arms. Anyone who hasn't noticed that, is wallowing in bliss.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#43 : July 09, 2008, 02:12:39 AM

Heck I think the next few buccaneer drafts will be focusing on RB, WR, LOT and QB. And to get a shot at success at those slots - you need your high picks. All of them.
You don't need a high draft pick if you have Boldin. You can use 2 1sts and know you have a sure thing, or you can use 1 1st and not know a damn thing. Judging by the history of the Buccaneers of drafting high WR's....I'll gladly pay 2 1sts for a sure fire Pro Bowl stud WR who is still relatively young.

****comments to follow by fans who will bring up his past knee injury, yet shutter with ecstatsy at the thought of a Carnell return.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#44 : July 09, 2008, 02:17:10 AM

I am a Garcia liker, but he is gliding downward to the retirement terminal. Team needs at this moment in time include RB, WR, LOT and QB - giving up more than one high pick is detrimental to the best interest of the team.

And I am for trading picks for proven talent as well - but proven talent vs elite talent are different talents...
Boldin is elite talent, I think that's where the misconception lies. We're talking about a guy who is not the main target of his offense yet he still grabs a 100 balls a season. Galloway only grabs a 100 balls because we have no one else to throw to. How can you downplay the production that is 100 receptions when the equal amount is being thrown to the other side of the field. Just imagine how many balls he'd grab if Fitz wasn't on the other side of the field?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms to Dallas? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools