Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gay man sues Bible publishers...... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 13 14 15

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#210 : July 13, 2008, 03:43:54 PM

Canadian Psychiatrist Finds Major Flaws In Anthony Bogaert's Study Of Gay Brothers

July 5, 2006 - Canadian psychologist Anthony Bogaert's study, "Biological versus nonbiological older brothers and men's sexual orientation," was recently published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The study claims to have found a biological basis for homosexuality. The claims in this study have been reprinted worldwide.
Canadian Psychiatrist Joseph Berger, M.D., is a Distinguished Fellow with the American Psychiatric Association, a member of NARTH's Scientific Advisory Committee and author of The Independent Medical Examination in Psychiatry. In a preliminary response to the study, based upon media accounts, Dr. Berger observed:

This study is yet another claim based upon superficial research that may be purely coincidental to or entirely unrelated to the conclusion that the researchers are proposing.
There is a conceptual leap based upon nothing other than an obvious personal wish/bias, from what may be an interesting chance finding based upon a small population sample to a generalization about the etiology of homosexuality.

There is no substantive basis for any such link. It is far too early to do anything other than speculate about the possible causes of such a finding, if indeed repeated surveys with larger populations confirmed its accuracy.

There are obvious possible "environmental" explanations for such a finding, such as the tendency in many families to "baby" the younger or youngest, often thus "delaying" their maturity into an adult masculine identity. The tendency of many such younger/youngest children to play up the "cute" "wishing-to-please" baby-aspect, which can take on an almost feminine charming/seductive demeanor.

There are many alternative explanations to the findings. It is totally inappropriate for anyone to claim certainty in a study like this because such a claim is obviously political, not scientific in nature.

After reading the Bogaert study, Dr. Berger's reaction was even more strongly negative. He wrote:

It [Bogert's study] is rubbish. It should never have been published. I suspect it was not peer-reviewed properly or was reviewed by someone so biased and ignorant that they were unable to see the huge flaws and [are] essentially ignorant of the literature.
The first major glaring flaw is that the author starts by presuming "evidence" for some sort of biological causation of homosexuality, and what is the author's evidence? All the first references are to people such as Hamer, LeVay, Bailey, etc., whose work has been assessed and critiqued, and there have been no follow-up studies confirming the claims of any of these people.

They remind me of Bailey's quote some years ago following the paper in the British Journal of Psychiatry (Eckler, et al, 1986) on the adopted-away Minnesota twins, which found zero correlation for women and one pair for men, and that pair was twins with recognized developmental disturbances who found each other in their twenties and whose relationship was with each other. On the basis of that one bizarre exception [the report] concluded that there was strong evidence for a biological genetic component!

The next -- and absolutely fatal flaw is the author's assertion that siblings in the same family are exposed to identical environments in growing up.

Absolute utter rubbish.

Even identical children are treated differently from birth. [In families,] this one is said to be more assertive, or calmer, or louder, or more anxious, etc, etc.

When we come to children born at different times there are an ENORMOUS number of possible factors that might make for significant differences in upbringing that might effect how a child develops a sense of his identity and sexuality.

Sometimes parents' financial situation has improved between child 1 and 2 or 3, etc., and sometimes it has deteriorated. Sometimes the relationship between parents is wonderful, sometimes it is tense, or disastrous and pregnancy was an attempt by one or both to 'save' a deteriorating marriage.

Sometimes a woman becomes pregnant and during pregnancy or soon after birth a parent of her or her partner becomes ill or dies.

A very close friend in Israel just lost a son in his early 20's, a previously very healthy sturdy young man, to a nasty cancer. During this time a daughter had her fourth child, and a brother married two weeks after his brother died. What do people suppose might be the effects on the mother regarding this latest child or on the brother and his wife in terms of any child they might have in the next year or two, and even more so on a younger sister about to become engaged?

I could go on and on, but psycho-dynamically-oriented clinicians have learnt these things from long experience, while activist-propagandists produce ignorant papers with quite bizarre speculations based upon nothing more substantial than fantasy -- such as this absurd notion of some maternal 'immune response.' Absolute drivel.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#211 : July 13, 2008, 03:50:16 PM

The Animal Homosexuality Myth

by Luiz Sérgio Solimeo
The following article is adapted from the author's recently published book, Defending a Higher Law: Why We Must Resist Same Sex "Marriage" and the Homosexual Movement.

In its effort to present homosexuality as normal, the homosexual movement[1] turned to science in an attempt to prove three major premises:

Homosexuality is genetic or innate;
Homosexuality is irreversible;
Since animals engage in same-sex sexual behavior, homosexuality is natural.
Keenly aware of its inability to prove the first two premises,[2] the homosexual movement pins its hopes on the third, animal homosexuality.[3]

Animals Do It, So It's Natural, Right?
The reasoning behind the animal homosexuality theory can be summed up as follows:

- Homosexual behavior is observable in animals.
- Animal behavior is determined by their instincts.
- Nature requires animals to follow their instincts.
- Therefore, homosexuality is in accordance with animal nature.
- Since man is also animal, homosexuality must also be in accordance with human nature.
This line of reasoning is unsustainable. If seemingly "homosexual" acts among animals are in accordance with animal nature, then parental killing of offspring and intra-species devouring are also in accordance with animal nature. Bringing man into the equation complicates things further. Are we to conclude that filicide and cannibalism are according to human nature?
In opposition to this line of reasoning, this article sustains that:

There is no "homosexual instinct" in animals,
It is poor science to "read" human motivations and sentiments into animal behavior, and
Irrational animal behavior is not a yardstick to determine what is morally acceptable behavior for rational man.
There Is No "Homosexual Instinct" In Animals
Anyone engaged in the most elementary animal observation is forced to conclude that animal "homosexuality," "filicide" and "cannibalism" are exceptions to normal animal behavior. Consequently, they cannot be called animal instincts. These observable exceptions to normal animal behavior result from factors beyond their instincts.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#212 : July 13, 2008, 03:52:08 PM

Joe,
Do you honestly believe there are people who are supressing their natural instict to be a homosexual? Do you know how absurd that sounds?
I loved the post about addiction. It is a fact that addiction alters the chemical make-up of the brain. But is the brain of an addict already altered? Science says that certain people are more likely to become addicted than others. Sex, and sexual acts, can become an addiction, thus altering the chemical make-up of the individual. But the change occurs as the person becomes addicted to the sex, not because they are born that way!
The majority of homosexuals that I know have told me that they don't want to be that way, but that they cannot help it. I didn't want to smoke, but I simply could not help it! So there you go, Joe, you are right that a homosexuals brain chemistry can be altered, but not from birth as a homosexual, just an addict.

I cannot believe I'm doing this, but take a look at this link and read for yourself.

http://www.hazelden.org/web/public/vcwin1braindisease.page

If addiction (to sex) causes the change in homosexual brains (and that is a big if), and addiction has a hereditary component, then, according to your post, homosexual addiction is hereditary.

Of course comparing drug addiction, where chemicals are introduct to the body and brain, to sex addiction, where no foreign chemicals are introduced, is absurd.

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
#213 : July 13, 2008, 03:58:19 PM

Joe,
Do you honestly believe there are people who are supressing their natural instict to be a homosexual?  Do you know how absurd that sounds?

Ted Haggard…A gay man trying suppress his natural instinct.

"I am a deceiver and a liar," Haggard told his followers in a letter read from the pulpit of New Life Church by one of his spiritual mentors. "There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life."

"For extended periods of time, I would enjoy victory and rejoice in freedom," Haggard wrote. "Then, from time to time, the dirt that I thought was gone would resurface, and I would find myself thinking thoughts and experiencing desires that were contrary to everything I believe and teach."

Of course, his real addiction is his religion. If he could rid himself of that addiction he might still have a chance at leading a happy life.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#214 : July 13, 2008, 04:03:10 PM

Big Mac,
I could not agree more.  What people need today is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, not religion!

Ted is like many of us who has sinned.  This doesn't make him evil, it makes him human.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#215 : July 13, 2008, 04:50:57 PM

Ted is like many of us who has sinned.  This doesn't make him evil, it makes him human.

A human who had a natural instinct to be gay ...... A natural insitinct is something you are born with.

T-Bone

Pro Bowler

#216 : July 13, 2008, 07:53:47 PM

this is hilarious
Page: 1 ... 13 14 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gay man sues Bible publishers...... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools