Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zebras: best and worst ratings « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
: July 12, 2008, 01:33:55 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3447256&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

For those of you too lazy to click, Mike Carey and Ed "Gun Show" Hochuli ranked the best.  Gerald Austin ranked worst, as voted by head coaches.

I believe Carey was the ref for our 2005 playoff game vs. the 'Skins.  I hated him until I found out he made the right call that game.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 12, 2008, 09:00:30 PM

That Carey is good.

#2 : July 12, 2008, 11:43:46 PM

I love Carey and Hochuli. Best refs hands down.

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#3 : July 13, 2008, 12:08:25 AM

Carey is great but I'm not a fan of Hochuli.

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#4 : July 13, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

To add to my opinion of Hochuli I remember him from what I considered a series of dubious calls from him against the Bucs and yeah, I have a long memory of things like that. A bit of googling came up with what I'm talking about. It's from an ESPN article titled "League cautious when addressing grievances" and it's a good read.

Hochuli and the Tampa Bay Bucs, 2002 to 2004 Circumstantial evidence: On Oct. 21, 2001, Hochuli reversed the Bucs' recovery of an onside kick with 28 seconds remaining in the Steelers' 17-10 victory at Tampa Bay. A month earlier, Hochuli upheld a Vikings touchdown with 1:08 remaining as Minnesota held off the Bucs 20-16 in the Metrodome. Hochuli has worked only two games involving Bucs coach Jon Gruden since 2001. Other longtime refs have worked eight or nine Gruden-coached games over the same period.
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=3462384

Now, maybe Hochuli is a great official and since the evidence is circumstantial I'm not saying that he's a bad ref or anything but like I said, I'm not a fan.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#5 : July 13, 2008, 01:16:15 AM

That Carey is good.

Wasn't Mike Carey the ref that made all of those terrible calls in the Bucs playoff game vs. the Redskins in 2005?

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#6 : July 13, 2008, 01:20:44 AM

That Carey is good.

Wasn't Mike Carey the ref that made all of those terrible calls in the Bucs playoff game vs. the Redskins in 2005?

He was the ref for that game but I don't recall a lot of terrible calls. I remember him booting Taylor and not Pittman that game after the spitting incident. What were the bad calls he made? They probably exist but it's not tripping my Bucs were screwed radar. :)

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 13, 2008, 01:31:52 AM

I believe Carey was the ref for our 2005 playoff game vs. the 'Skins.  I hated him until I found out he made the right call that game.

Helps to read, there, Talib. ;)

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#8 : July 13, 2008, 01:35:50 AM

Probably why he didn't trip my Bucs were screwed radar. :)

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 13, 2008, 01:40:56 AM

Yeah, the big controversial one was the drop that Edell had at the end in the end zone.  Everyone thought he caught it and had possession so we thought we were screwed, but it turned out that he made the right call. 

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#10 : July 13, 2008, 01:55:32 AM

Yeah, the big controversial one was the drop that Edell had at the end in the end zone.  Everyone thought he caught it and had possession so we thought we were screwed, but it turned out that he made the right call. 

I remember that heartbreaker but like you said, it was the correct call.

Nothing like Carollo and the Emanuel rule.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#11 : July 13, 2008, 01:54:00 PM

I believe Carey was the ref for our 2005 playoff game vs. the 'Skins. I hated him until I found out he made the right call that game.

Yeah, the Edell Shepard play was not a TD.  I'm talking about three other terrible calls he made in that game.  One, was when he called back Simeon Rice's sack-strip-fumble that he recovered for a touchdown.  I can't remember the other two calls in that game he was criticized for back then though.  I just remember that he made a few mistakes.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#12 : July 14, 2008, 12:07:51 AM

I have to agree with Talib. There were a few bad calls in that game, long before the Edell non-catch. My memory is fuzy because ive tried to block that bad memory out though. I may be criticized for not remembering specifics, or having a link....but I remember being furious about the officiating before the non-catch even happened.

NovaBuc

Starter

#13 : July 14, 2008, 10:41:34 AM

I believe Carey was the ref for our 2005 playoff game vs. the 'Skins. I hated him until I found out he made the right call that game.

Yeah, the Edell Shepard play was not a TD.� I'm talking about three other terrible calls he made in that game.� One, was when he called back Simeon Rice's sack-strip-fumble that he recovered for a touchdown.� I can't remember the other two calls in that game he was criticized for back then though.  I just remember that he made a few mistakes.

Whoops.. should have checked the post.. I ended up putting my comments in the middle of someone else's quote.

On Taylor's fumble recovery for a touchdown, Caddy appeared to have touched Taylor while he was down.

On Arrington's interception, it appeared in replays that he dropped the ball/did not have control while falling to the ground.

If either of those plays were ruled the other way, the Bucs most likely win the game as both plays lead to the only touchdowns the Skins scored. The Bucs would have had to kick a field goal from the Skin's 18 late in the game instead of going for it on 4th and 1, but that would definitely be doable.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#14 : July 14, 2008, 10:53:23 AM

If I had to pick a best ref, my pick would be Carey.  Also, I don't recall the '05 playoff game being poorly officiated.  I remember a lot of casual Buc fans whining about some calls, but the crew seemed to do a pretty good job from what I can remember.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zebras: best and worst ratings « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools