Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Gruden didnt run more this year « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

: December 18, 2006, 03:58:59 AM

Its very simple. When Gradkowski was at QB for 11 games this is what I saw a lot of.

1st 10- Run up the middle to C. Williams. Gain of 1 yard

2nd 9- Run up the middle to C. Williams. No Gain

3rd 9- Pass incomplete by Gradkowski

This team could not avoid anything less than 3rd 7 all year, unless they passed.And the problem here is, anything more than 3rd and 6, and Gradkowski likely wanst completeing the pass. Not all his fault. When you are ina pasisng situation the defense has an advantage, they know what you're going to do. This 3rd and 7 pass would a) have 3 guys tops going out for passes and there were simply too many people in coverage, b) 4 guys go out, pass is thrown to TE in 3 yard out or RB/FB on a checkdown. Over and over again this same situation comes up until theres about 8-9 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, Caddy has 9-11 rushes for 15-25 yards and there has been 1-2 drives that lasted more than 3 plays. The team is usually down by atleast 7 points due to continuing to put the defense on the field in bad field position most the time. Throughout the 2nd half the team is playing catchup, Gruden leaves the gameplan he spent all week drawing up after his running game never produced more than 1-2 carries for over 5 yards, and for the final 2.5 quarters the team passes atleast 4 out of every 5 plays. Then everyone wants to know why Gruden didnt run more when Caddy has 14 rushes for 31 yards. "the ground game cant possibly get anything going when your feature RB only has 14 carries." But for some reason no one remembers that by attempting to establish the run, we are usually 14 points down by the 2nd quarter with 0 production from the run.

Why does everyone blame Gruden for the running game a) not being a focal point to the offense every week and b) not executing. This isnt Grudens fault. The gameplan was not a bad one drawn up by Coach Gruden. His players cant execute, and he has to leave a sound game plan to figure out how he can utilize this team of bums to crawl out of the14 point deficit created. Blame him for having Muiir as OL coah and assistant offensive coordinator.

#1 : December 18, 2006, 05:21:38 AM

Grads did not scare ANY defense we played.....If you dont have a  [banghead]threat then dont plan on defending it too much, hence...play the run 90% of the time. IF Gruden would have played or made a Qb change earlier who knows what would have happened... I dont let him off that easy, he makes some BIG mistakes as a coach but wont admit them. If he would I wouldnt have a problem but he doesnt! I'm not saying that Grads didnt earn a shot at playing (preseason) but how long do you look like sh*t and still get to play due to the coach being in LOVE with you?????????????? Please GRUDEN be a man and admit you suck at times and I will show you some respect.          GO BUCS!!!

phbuc

Rookie

#2 : December 18, 2006, 08:23:45 AM

You've gotta pass your way out of a run defense.  If we can't do that, we will not win any games.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 18, 2006, 11:53:14 AM

Is there ever a good time to take a shot at the caddy on these boards?

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 18, 2006, 11:58:24 AM

I don't think Caddy was put in a position to be an effective runner this season.  With the QB play, LT probably wouldn't have been able to score!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 18, 2006, 12:00:07 PM

I don't think Caddy was put in a position to be an effective runner this season.  With the QB play, LT probably wouldn't have been able to score!

An elite RB would make things happen occasionally.  He can't catch and he isn't doing much else, so yes Caddy is under scrutiny next year.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 18, 2006, 12:01:16 PM

People act like stacking the box is something new. The box was stacked last year and Caddy ran.

The box is stacked vs LT, the box is stacked vs JAX and so on. "

The box is stacked" is an excuse when you can't run but when you want to run you have to run into just those situations.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#7 : December 18, 2006, 12:01:57 PM

Is there ever a good time to take a shot at the caddy on these boards?

Not sure what you mean...but it's hard to evaluate the young talent we have on offense when the QB is struggling.  Caddy needs to produce more, but it will help him if we can throw the ball a bit.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 18, 2006, 12:05:38 PM

People act like stacking the box is something new. The box was stacked last year and Caddy ran.

The box is stacked" is an excuse when you can't run but when you want to run you have to run into just those situations.

I agree.

Personally I am not too hard on Carnell as some are as he has no where to go most of the time this year.  It does not help that a toss play will not accomplish much with Urlacher and Briggs patroling from sideline to sideline.  The Bears defense is too fast to even attempt any running play to the outside.

At this point the evidence is overwhelming in that the o-line has to take the blame for the poor run blocking displayed this year. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 18, 2006, 12:06:02 PM

An elite RB would make things happen occasionally.  He can't catch and he isn't do much else, so yes Caddy is under scrutiny next year.

I think that's what I'm keying on as well.  It looks like he works really hard I won't take anything away from him there, but he should have made more things happen. I think he keeps missing the hole.  Alstott seems to have way better "vission". 

Something just isn't right; he's not showing this "he's a special player" stuff people keep talking about.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 18, 2006, 12:08:48 PM

7 TDs in 28 games is not a good return.  If we are going to start winning regularly Caddy needs to step it up a hell of a lot.....a TD every forth game isn't going to hack it.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 18, 2006, 12:09:33 PM

I agree.

Personally I am not too hard on Carnell as some are as he has no where to go most of the time this year.  It does not help that a toss play will not accomplish much with Urlacher and Briggs patroling from sideline to sideline.  The Bears defense is too fast to even attempt any running play to the outside.

At this point the evidence is overwhelming in that the o-line has to take the blame for the poor run blocking displayed this year. 

Nah, that's not what I've been seeing at all....   especially lately.  There are holes and lanes and he's not seeing them or getting to them.

Now the line isn't consistant enough just yet, but there are plenty of plays they just flat role people but the RB isn't in tune with the blocking and the play goes nowhere when the line did a good enough job to easly get the RB on the DBs or on a deep LB.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 18, 2006, 12:11:34 PM

I agree.

Nah, that's not what I've been seeing at all....   especially lately.  There are holes and lanes and he's not seeing them or getting to them.

Now the line isn't consistant enough just yet, but there are plenty of plays they just flat role people but the RB isn't in tune with the blocking and the play goes nowhere when the line did a good enough job to easly get the RB on the DBs or on a deep LB.

Sorry I am not seeing what you are seeing.

What I see is people constantly in the backfield (usually becuase of Mahan).  With Buenning it was not so bad but ever since has been gone the run blocking has taken a serious hit.

That Dallas game the o-line gave Carnell oppurtunities by opening up holes and Carnell showed that he can hits those holes.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 18, 2006, 12:23:21 PM

An elite RB would make things happen occasionally.  He can't catch and he isn't doing much else, so yes Caddy is under scrutiny next year.

Bern't no he wouldn't! How could he??? Yeah Larry Johnson did it with Huard, they have a probowl offensive line MJS.

Again for the 1 millionth time! You cannot run against an 8-9 man front with a stalemate at teh line of scrimmage. Larry Johnson, Frank Gore, they run because they have guys like will shields, larry allen who will knock people off the ball. You can run it up Larry allens a$$ for 3 yards! You can't run it up sean mahans butt for nada and you have 2 rookies on the right side.

You cannot run the ball when 8-9 people are in the box and you don't win one on one matchups at the LOS, you just cant, the discussion is ridiculous...

Baghead #2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 18, 2006, 12:25:38 PM

Dal I don't agree with this...There is a difference stacking the box and still playing a 3 or 2 deep zone, its another thing stacking the box and committing 8 people to stop the run and playing zero coverage, that is what we face when we have a QB that cannot pass the football, big difference. Sure people stack the line but they still played 2 deep or 3 deep to prevent Galloway getting deep or matt jones getting deep or Gates Running down the seam or ...........

Baghead #2
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Gruden didnt run more this year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools