Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Unitas/ Morrall ='s Farve/ Garcia? « previous next »
Page: 1

HughC

Pro Bowler

: July 16, 2008, 10:32:30 PM

Morrall was a 34 year old career backup that started only only because of an injury to Unitas.  In addition, I don't think many current NFL teams have the budget for whatever Favre will demand, plus a $3 million backup QB (unless it's a rookie that's being groomed for the starting job.)

If Favre does mange to come here, then he needs to get as many training camp snaps as possible, so that would eliminate a battle for the starting job.  Now if the Bucs do somehow land Favre, I could see them trading Garcia to Minnesota (which would ironically hurt the Packers.)

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#1 : July 16, 2008, 09:58:49 PM

If favre comes here (which looks everyday like an unlikely thing to happen imo) then Garcia will be gone. I think it would be really cool to see Garcia/Favre battle it out for the starting job. That would never happen and I dont think Favre is coming here either. As much as I want him to be.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 16, 2008, 09:40:53 PM

The point I was making is that 2 very experienced proven QB's can co-exist on the same team.  Now perhaps Garcia and Farve lack the character that Morrall and Unitas shared so it wouldn't work. Today's players quite possibly lack the character to make such things work.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 16, 2008, 05:45:47 PM

Seems like having to older experienced QB's might not be so bad of an idea.  Certainly worked for the Baltimore Colts first Super Bowl winner.

Of course that would likely be the  end of McCown or perhaps Griese?

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 16, 2008, 06:58:53 PM

huh?

I think McCown, Griese, and Josh Johnson are here to stay.  If McCown is cut, it's because the Bucs decided to keep 3 QBs and Griese beat him out.  I doubt the Favre situation has any barring on McCown's status with the team.

Now I do agree with you that it appears Garcia, although 37 last year, still played at a good level for us and Favre at the same age had his best year in a while...

I think if we add Favre, Garcia is gone.  I believe we are interested in adding Favre too, but I think in the end Favre will not play or he will go to a team like the Chiefs.  I just don't see the Bucs making a big push for him with Garcia already aboard.  Like Hovan says, "we got a probowl quarterback of our own!"

Now I'm not saying I think Garcia is better than Favre, but honestly, it isn't a bad constalation price.  Also, as our D is good, I dont think we could survive over 18 interceptions from our Quarterback.  We had a better D in 2003 and a top 10 offense, but Brad's 21 interceptions were a big cause in our let down, amongst other things.  Brett had 21/29 ratio a few years ago and 18/18 the year before last.  Would I love to have Brett and his TDs? You bet.  But can our D bail him out when he tosses an INT? That remains to be seen as they don't do a good job of it...

but with that said, I'd love to have Favre..
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Unitas/ Morrall ='s Farve/ Garcia? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools