Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden, playcalling, youngsters, the past and the future « previous next »
Page: 1

: December 18, 2006, 09:54:23 AM

If you told me four months ago that I'd be this pleased with a loss at this stage of the season, I'd have called you a liar.  Arghh!

Oh, well...still that was a gratifying game.

What I see, coming out of this one, is that I feel that Gruden has taken a big step towards solidifying his future, for at least next year, here in Tampa Bay.  The reason for that being Rattay's ability to make those young players around him look good.  The ball came out on time, so the receivers got their shots at making plays and the O-line had less pressure on them.

It was a tough situation when a top 2 defense in this league knows you're going to throw on every down.  To still come down and score 4 TD's in 16 minutes is an accomplishment that can't be overstated.  I give credit to Rattay and the offense as a whole.  Wow.

Maybe this Gruden/Allen team isn't as bad as it has looked.

Stovall and Warren looked at least like serviceable pieces for the offense going forward.  Stovall is a possession guy, I think.  He doesn't have the speed, so he'll need to use his body.  Warren is intriguing.  We'll still need to bring in a quality WR this offseason, I think.

Haha...Kreutz points to the scoreboard...Really, Olin?  All of a sudden, it's 31-31.

Anyway...Rattay may be a short-term answer...meaning he'll do some positive things in the remaining two games, I think.  Maybe he's even a quality option next season?  Definitely not the long-term answer.  The QB situation remains unresolved...

Grads just looks...like he needs to sit for a year or two.  I still like alot of what he brings, but damn!  He's half a second fast on the checkdowns and half a second slow down the field.  And that's not getting fixed.  It'll kill you.  Anyway, he needs to ride the pine a while...maybe we'll see him down the line...or maybe not.

I like Alex Smith, despite the fumble...great hands.  I always notice that people who try to tackle him are so ofen slow to get up.  Was it Manning this time?  People bounce off of Smith and get up aching.  I just wish he were better running routes, or something, because he doesn't seem to catch the ball in situations where he can get YAC.  He fights and fights for three extra yards...

I love the way Davin Joseph is coming along.  He hustles downfield, and doesn't quit on plays.  He's going to be good.  I even like Trueblood's fire despite the stupid penalty in OT.  He's a work in progress.

The defense needs to be shored up this offseason, but some of the young guys are making contributions.  We need to get the next generation of great defenders here soon, though...

Who here thinks that with Rattay at the helm, Caddy will be able to run with more success?  Considering Rattay is a threat on all the routes...it should open the LOS up a bit.  I hope that Caddy can get on track in these final two games.

And Rattay vindicates Gruden a bit (well, his playcalling and scheme are vindicated, not his choice to play Grads for this long)...Rattay hit the slants.  That opened up some of that sideline stuff.  That opened up the throws down the middle of the field.  And Rattay could convert those opportunities...

It does make you wonder if we had been 3-0 rather than 0-3 when Simms went down...would Grads still have been the one?  Or was Gruden just putting the best face on a crappy situation?

Rattay is no long-term answer, but after this game I do feel much better about the players and coaching staff that we do have.

#1 : December 18, 2006, 10:03:19 AM

And then we lose the game on a play were the catch was dropped and Hovan was tackled as he made his way to Rex...YARGH!

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 18, 2006, 10:05:40 AM

Buchanon other than that one missed tackle quietly put together a solid game.

#3 : December 18, 2006, 10:07:01 AM

Buchanon other than that one missed tackle quietly put together a solid game.

Yes...really, we've already gotten more than we had a right to expect out of Buchanon.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#4 : December 18, 2006, 10:08:43 AM

That was a great game. Massive comeback and we still lost. The offensive performance doesn't make an impression on me though. Looked more like luck than anything. The defense is not good.

#5 : December 18, 2006, 10:13:22 AM

That was a great game. Massive comeback and we still lost. The offensive performance doesn't make an impression on me though. Looked more like luck than anything. The defense is not good.

The defense is up and down.  I was sort of upset that we didn't capitalize on three BAD throws by Grossman.  People are talking today like he's quited the criticism, but I think that Grossman is going to KILL his Bears in the playoffs.  He's still young, but...this year is not his year, IMO.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 18, 2006, 10:16:16 AM

Considering how many 3 and outs the Bucs offense had early in the game I do not think it is fair to say the defense is no good.

White is showing he may be an important player to re-sign in the off season.  He definately showed why he is called Dirty Red. 

#7 : December 18, 2006, 10:38:32 AM

Considering how many 3 and outs the Bucs offense had early in the game I do not think it is fair to say the defense is no good.

White is showing he may be an important player to re-sign in the off season.  He definately showed why he is called Dirty Red. 

Well, the defense is...inconsistent right now.  I think there were plays there to be made yesterday that this D would have made in previous years...some INTs slipping through the fingers, etc.

White is potentially one of those emotional leaders as well.  His value as that guy might be more than his value as just a playmaker.  He was at the center of the moment where this game changed.

Him vs. Kreutz made this team wake up, it seemed.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 18, 2006, 10:42:12 AM

I think the Bucs try to make a serious push to re-sign White in the off season.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden, playcalling, youngsters, the past and the future « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools