Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What would our record be if Rattay was the starter? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 18, 2006, 10:58:29 AM

I think its hilarious that you all are on the Rattay bandwagon. He stunk in the preseason, while Gradkowski shined.  Grads earned his #2 spot and you all know it.  You saw the preseason.  But you choose to have a selective memory.  And Grads looked just as good as Rattay does now in his first couple games as a starter.  A lot of people thought he was the QB of the future.

Where were all the "START RATTAY!" threads?  Where was the groundswell of support for this guy during the middle of this disasterous season?  It wasn't there. Why? Because you and everybody else thought Rattay stunk.

I had posted about Rattay on the Worst Buc QB Ever thread saying if Rattay had played he would be the worst ever.   Obviously I was way off on that, but I like everybody else based my opinions on what we had previously seen from Rattay in a Bucs uniform, which was that he was horrible.

You can only go on what you see and what Gruden and everybody else saw of Rattay in the preseason was that he was a disaster with a helmet on.  

Now you people want to put on 20-20 hindsight and say that Rattay could have saved the season.   What a joke.  

You're on point ICHT. Good post.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 18, 2006, 11:03:26 AM

At that point we are 2-6 which is when maybe the coach could try somebody else, but we didn't have anybody else. All we had was Rattay who by all accounts was the worst QB drawing an NFL paycheck. So he stuck with Grads and we went 2-7, then 3-7.  But Grads is 3-4, and if you give him the first game as a warmup he's really 3-3. 

Tough situation.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 18, 2006, 11:14:06 AM

Given Rattays performance in preseason, and the word out of TC, would you have gone anywhere near Rattay

Simms stunk it up in pre-season too and he started. Rattay has a body of real live NFL work that says he's not a 100% total waste of space and that means something as well. Then again if we buy DTG's "insider" info someone thought Grads should have been the starter anyways so now we've got an even bigger problem looming.

Again, maybe you say we're lunch at 0-3 and the future is now but you then don't yank the future and take the ball out of his hands vs PIT, vs ATL and vs CHI like Gruden has. The problem is that either The Rat or Grads makes sense but now what he's doing isn't the all or nothing and that makes all the difference.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 18, 2006, 11:27:10 AM

Again, maybe you say we're lunch at 0-3 and the future is now but you then don't yank the future and take the ball out of his hands vs PIT, vs ATL and vs CHI like Gruden has. The problem is that either The Rat or Grads makes sense but now what he's doing isn't the all or nothing and that makes all the difference.

At this point Gruden has to make a decision and stick with it.

#19 : December 18, 2006, 11:29:36 AM

We woulnt have been winless in the division at least

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 18, 2006, 11:37:54 AM

We woulnt have been winless in the division at least

How do you know we wouldn't be winless in the division? Rattay hasn't won a game.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#21 : December 18, 2006, 11:38:54 AM

This season for Bucs' QB's shows that experience clearly has value.  Even if Rattay stunk in practice he has extensive real time experience in this offense.  That alone should have earned him at least a chance before yesterday.  Gradkowsi was in a death spiral from the Giants game to yesterday with the exception of two series against the Saints.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 18, 2006, 11:40:57 AM

This season for Bucs' QB's shows that experience clearly has value.  Even if Rattay stunk in practice he has extensive real time experience in this offense. 

Gruden likes players with experience but more importantly players that are good in practice.  And players that are not is something he does not tolerate.  I disagree with that but it is Jon's team not mine.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 18, 2006, 11:43:03 AM

It isn't so much of the hindsight thing, it is more of DIRECT Sight...

Exactly right. Its normal in the NFL to determine the pecking order of the backups in the preseason games.  FYI: These games were televised to the public. So Gruden was basing his decision on what we all saw. And if he had picked Rattay to be #2 after what we saw the entire Buc fan public would have screamed bloody murder.

And heres' a memo to Dalbuc, who evidently doesn't know much:  Many times when there is no battle for the starting job, the head coach doesn't want to put the starter in for significant minutes to save him from getting injured in the preseason.  This is common in the NFL, Dalbuc, just so you know.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#24 : December 18, 2006, 11:45:29 AM

Itch, Rattay didn't get much PT in the preseason.  Gruden played Gradkowski way more because he was already #2 in his mind.  He had stars in his eyes.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 18, 2006, 11:49:50 AM

And heres' a memo to Dalbuc, who evidently doesn't know much:  Many times when there is no battle for the starting job, the head coach doesn't want to put the starter in for significant minutes to save him from getting injured in the preseason.  This is common in the NFL, Dalbuc, just so you know.

Wow really, but I though everything was about what you do in the pre-season (you know direct sight)  so now you say it isn't about that because sometimes you know what your player can do in the NFL? Hmmmmm.....

Fascinating insight and one that goes right back to the Tim Rattay actually has an NFL pedigree arguement - that pedigree with a 60% completion % and a positive TD:INT ratio or do you hand the keys over to the rookie QB from Toledo? Like I said, the Rattay move 10 games ago is zero risk. If you put him and he stink, fine the season is lost, play the rookie and get him ready. Instead you gamble a season on the 6th round rookie and then go to the veteran to save it way too late.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 18, 2006, 11:52:21 AM

Itch, Rattay didn't get much PT in the preseason.  Gruden played Gradkowski way more because he was already #2 in his mind.  He had stars in his eyes.

Gradkowski showed more in practice than Rattay to earn that playing time in pre season.  Gruden stresses good practices and that is what he believes in.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#27 : December 18, 2006, 11:56:34 AM

I agree ADW and hopefully Gruden will learn now that experience in real games is worth a lot more than practice or apparent sucess against 3rd and 4th stringers.

#28 : December 18, 2006, 12:04:55 PM

I think its hilarious that you all are on the Rattay bandwagon. He stunk in the preseason, while Gradkowski shined.  Grads earned his #2 spot and you all know it.  You saw the preseason.  But you choose to have a selective memory.  And Grads looked just as good as Rattay does now in his first couple games as a starter.  A lot of people thought he was the QB of the future.

Where were all the "START RATTAY!" threads?  Where was the groundswell of support for this guy during the middle of this disasterous season?  It wasn't there. Why? Because you and everybody else thought Rattay stunk.

I had posted about Rattay on the Worst Buc QB Ever thread saying if Rattay had played he would be the worst ever.   Obviously I was way off on that, but I like everybody else based my opinions on what we had previously seen from Rattay in a Bucs uniform, which was that he was horrible.

You can only go on what you see and what Gruden and everybody else saw of Rattay in the preseason was that he was a disaster with a helmet on. 

Now you people want to put on 20-20 hindsight and say that Rattay could have saved the season.   What a joke. 

Itch speaks the truth.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#29 : December 18, 2006, 12:34:29 PM

We prolly are at 6-8 right now with Rattay if you ask me.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What would our record be if Rattay was the starter? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools