Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You have reached the end of the internet! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

original

Pro Bowler

« : April 30, 2009, 08:23:24 AM »

A joke on the Simpsons may come true by running out of band width.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518405,00.html

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #1 : April 30, 2009, 09:24:41 AM »

The story doesn't make any sense. There is no "bandwidth speed" like there is "light speed". Bandwidth is determined by the speed of the server the website is stored on, and the size of the transfer pipe being used to access it. Maybe if no more servers were ever built, and no more communications companies ever upgraded their pipelines.

Neither scenario makes sense from a business standpoint. The minute one company says they aren't building bigger pipes, a competitor will rush in with faster capabilities and steal their customers. These "experts" and this reporter are all morons.

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler
« #2 : April 30, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »

The story is bogus, it states "When Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the British scientist, wrote the code that transformed a private computer network into the World Wide Web in 1991", everyone knows Al Gore invented the internet.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

DougTheGreat

Starter

« #3 : April 30, 2009, 09:46:24 AM »

"The amount of traffic generated each month by YouTube is now equivalent to the amount of traffic generated across the entire internet in all of 2000."

LMAO.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #4 : April 30, 2009, 09:57:49 AM »

Fiber FTW!  Srsly, you can carry multiple wave length light over the same fiber thus increasing its bandwidth many times its current capacity.  The technology has already been demonstrated and proven to work across the longest runs.  Should we really approach some kind of bandwidth limit it would be easy to increase the travel lanes so to speak without building new roads, laying more fiber. Just improvements at the intersections.  Yeah, that's costly, but it easily compensates for any bandwidth short comings.

Kind of crazy I have fiber to my house but a bundle of hundreds, maybe hundreds and hundreds, of copper lines coming to the office.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

obuc

Starter

« #5 : April 30, 2009, 11:44:55 AM »

A reason to create jobs right there. Arent there 5 backbone servers? Seems like they just increase that and start laying more fiber.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #6 : April 30, 2009, 12:33:19 PM »

Pirates Cove...

king_frog

Hall of Famer
« #7 : April 30, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »

We have Al Gore thanks be to God !!

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

« #8 : April 30, 2009, 12:35:41 PM »

That's Fox News for ya...

-Chase

Our fans suck!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #9 : April 30, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »

so..... what does this have to do with the bucs or the nfl?
Between this thread, and the BCS thread, I am wondering the same thing...

PIRATES COVE!

Nigtronix

Second String

« #10 : April 30, 2009, 01:04:34 PM »

Gore never claimed that he "invented" the Internet, which implies that he engineered the technology. The invention occurred in the seventies and allowed scientists in the Defense Department to communicate with each other. In a March 1999 interview with Wolf Blitzer, Gore said, "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

See how effective elections politics can be on twisting peoples words to make them into idiots. 10 years later and this is still a staple of who Gore is (the guy who invented the internet) and its simply not true.

king_frog

Hall of Famer
« #11 : April 30, 2009, 01:06:47 PM »

Gore never claimed that he "invented" the Internet, which implies that he engineered the technology. The invention occurred in the seventies and allowed scientists in the Defense Department to communicate with each other. In a March 1999 interview with Wolf Blitzer, Gore said, "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

See how effective elections politics can be on twisting peoples words to make them into idiots. 10 years later and this is still a staple of who Gore is (the guy who invented the internet) and its simply not true.
You got it all wrong there was no twist. But this is not a political board so drop it...

Nigtronix

Second String

« #12 : April 30, 2009, 01:13:39 PM »

Your right it isn't a political board but it is true, look it up. He was taken out of context. Do you honestly think he figured he could lie to everyone and say he invented the internet? That would be like me saying I invented the question mark. A sure fire way to not kill off something is to tell someone else to drop it.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #13 : April 30, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »

You're really arguing the semantics of "invent" vs. "create?"

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

« #14 : April 30, 2009, 01:33:02 PM »

so..... what does this have to do with the bucs or the nfl?
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You have reached the end of the internet! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools