Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gay Pride kills Young Kid « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 15

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

: July 21, 2008, 02:41:32 AM

http://www.newsweek.com/id/147790&GT1=43002

Young, Gay and Murdered
Kids are coming out younger, but are schools ready to handle the complex issues of identity and sexuality? For Larry King, the question had tragic implications.

At 15, Lawrence King was small—5 feet 1 inch—but very hard to miss. In January, he started to show up for class at Oxnard, Calif.'s E. O. Green Junior High School decked out in women's accessories. On some days, he would slick up his curly hair in a Prince-like bouffant. Sometimes he'd paint his fingernails hot pink and dab glitter or white foundation on his cheeks. "He wore makeup better than I did," says Marissa Moreno, 13, one of his classmates. He bought a pair of stilettos at Target, and he couldn't have been prouder if he had on a varsity football jersey. He thought nothing of chasing the boys around the school in them, teetering as he ran.

But on the morning of Feb. 12, Larry left his glitter and his heels at home. He came to school dressed like any other boy: tennis shoes, baggy pants, a loose sweater over a collared shirt. He seemed unhappy about something. He hadn't slept much the night before, and he told one school employee that he threw up his breakfast that morning, which he sometimes did because he obsessed over his weight. But this was different. One student noticed that as Larry walked across the quad, he kept looking back nervously over his shoulder before he slipped into his first-period English class. The teacher, Dawn Boldrin, told the students to collect their belongings, and then marched them to a nearby computer lab, so they could type out their papers on World War II. Larry found a seat in the middle of the room. Behind him, Brandon McInerney pulled up a chair.

Brandon, 14, wasn't working on his paper, because he told Mrs. Boldrin he'd finished it. Instead, he opened a history book and started to read. Or at least he pretended to. "He kept looking over at Larry," says a student who was in the class that morning. "He'd look at the book and look at Larry, and look at the book and look at Larry." At 8:30 a.m., a half hour into class, Brandon quietly stood up. Then, without anyone's noticing, he removed a handgun that he had somehow sneaked to school, aimed it at Larry's head, and fired a single shot. Boldrin, who was across the room looking at another student's work, spun around. "Brandon, what the hell are you doing!" she screamed. Brandon fired at Larry a second time, tossed the gun on the ground and calmly walked through the classroom door. Police arrested him within seven minutes, a few blocks from school. Larry was rushed to the hospital, where he died two days later of brain injuries.

The Larry King shooting became the most prominent gay-bias crime since the murder of Matthew Shepard 10 years ago. But despite all the attention and outrage, the reason Larry died isn't as clear-cut as many people think. California's Supreme Court has just legalized gay marriage. There are gay characters on popular TV shows such as "Gossip Girl" and "Ugly Betty," and no one seems to notice. Kids like Larry are so comfortable with the concept of being openly gay that they are coming out younger and younger. One study found that the average age when kids self-identify as gay has tumbled to 13.4; their parents usually find out a year later.

What you might call "the shrinking closet" is arguably a major factor in Larry's death. Even as homosexuality has become more accepted, the prospect of being openly gay in middle school raises a troubling set of issues. Kids may want to express who they are, but they are playing grown-up without fully knowing what that means. At the same time, teachers and parents are often uncomfortable dealing with sexual issues in children so young. Schools are caught in between. How do you protect legitimate, personal expression while preventing inappropriate, sometimes harmful, behavior? Larry King was, admittedly, a problematical test case: he was a troubled child who flaunted his sexuality and wielded it like a weapon—it was often his first line of defense. But his story sheds light on the difficulty of defining the limits of tolerance. As E. O. Green found, finding that balance presents an enormous challenge.

Larry's life was hard from the beginning. His biological mother was a drug user; his father wasn't in the picture. When Greg and Dawn King took him in at age 2, the family was told he wasn't being fed regularly. Early on, a speech impediment made Larry difficult to understand, and he repeated first grade because he had trouble reading. He was a gentle child who loved nature and crocheting, but he also acted out from an early age. "We couldn't take him to the grocery store without him shoplifting," Greg says. "We couldn't get him to clean up his room. We sent him upstairs—he'd get a screwdriver and poke holes in the walls." He was prescribed ADHD medication, and Greg says Larry was diagnosed with reactive attachment disorder, a rare condition in which children never fully bond with their caregivers or parents.

Story continues on in the link....

My question to everyone is.....

Has society allowed more people to become "Gay" or be free about their sexual preference or has young straight kids been put to the point where they cant accept the openly flamboyant lifestyle of a gay person?

How can a kid know hes gay at such a young age. My guess is that through Gay Pride and TV shows like Queer Eye it has lead to this type of sudden spark of gay teens to come out and face the world without hiding their secret. How does this effect straight children? It is clear at such a young age even straight kids cannot handle another classmate being gay. How does this hurt the gay community?

Should there be concern in the school system if young males show "expressive" or "flamboyant" behavior associated with homosexuality and should they be warned of what they are choosing to get into.

It is clear that children are becoming gayer at a younger age and society has allowed this to happen. Could the case be made that legalizing gay marriage be a negative on the straight community and the children these days? It is all about choice, but does this choice ultimately have the highest cost in taking it?

Aye, So we cut Clifton Smith?!?!

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

royceks

Rookie

#1 : July 21, 2008, 06:26:00 AM

People aren't becoming 'gayer' at a younger age. They are gay (or not) the day they are born. The question is when they realize it. The education of "straight' children should start when they enter school so they are made to know that some people are born this way, there's nothing wrong with it, and hate, persecution, and violence are never acceptable at any time for any reason. Period.  Your title of this thread is ridiculous. And hateful.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 21, 2008, 07:31:45 AM

Should there be concern in the school system if young males show "expressive" or "flamboyant" behavior associated with homosexuality and should they be warned of what they are choosing to get into.

This is the only part of your dissertation that warrants a response. Young gays should definitely be warned, for their own safety, about the consequences that may come with the type behavior that Larry exhibited. The system failed both him and his knuckledragging murderer ...

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 21, 2008, 08:19:35 AM

There has always been, and will always be, a certain faction of our society that believes they have the right to dictate their moral standards to everyone else. Some of those people resort to violence when their views are rejected. They preach hatred and intolerance and try to disguise it as something to be admired. This young boy felt justified to commit murder because Larry King would not conform to his standards. Larry King was murdered for behavior that was normal and natural to him. Brandon is a sick child who had this hatred ingrained in him. I'm afraid someday he will even more reasons to hate homosexuals. He will be locked up with them. I suspect, since he felt so threatened by Larry, that he had hidden urges in a similar direction. Because of his age Brandon will probably be released from prison when he reaches 21. The world is safe from him for the next few years.

Separation of church and state should mean that church doctrine should never be involved when formulating the laws by which we ALL have to live. Common sense should determine what is and is not legal. I'm not Christian, Jewish, or Muslim. I don't wish to be held accountable to the standards of groups I have not joined of my own free will.

Why can't people just let others live their lives however they want and mind their own business? Some of our laws don't protect a victim. They create one.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 21, 2008, 08:53:36 AM

For some people it's just too much to understand. I dunno about the rest of you guys, but IMO the kid shouldn't have been allowed to walk around schoolgrounds dressed in that fashion in the first place, screw rights. No one should want to see a 15 yr old in drag anyway. I'm NOT saying gay people are gross, wrong, whatever. I'm just thinking the rights of hetero people have gone bye-bye. 2000+ kids (that dress "normal")  had to sit and watch that kid dress like that all year around, just to make ONE kid feel accepted? And here I was thinking it was wrong when I was suspended from school for wearing a plain white T-shirt..? They claimed it was a "gang" statment.

Yeah Southeast.. I'm talkin to you.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 21, 2008, 09:00:14 AM

I'm just thinking the rights of hetero people have gone bye-bye.
Huh??

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 21, 2008, 10:51:43 AM

Being gay is becoming more accepted, sort of, which is why some kids feel more comfortable coming out earlier.

A kid can't dress in drag at school just like a straight kid can't come to school in a yoda outfit. It's a costume and distracts other kids from what school is intended to for, learning.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 21, 2008, 11:07:44 AM

Costume?  Not to the homosexual who will insist it is just his way of expressing how he feels inside.

This is exactly why I have a problem with gay rights.  I found it very interesting that Larry, came from a single parent family.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 21, 2008, 11:19:50 AM

This is the only part of your dissertation that warrants a response. Young gays should definitely be warned, for their own safety, about the consequences that may come with the type behavior that Larry exhibited. The system failed both him and his knuckledragging murderer ...

Exactly. Some of the other posters seem to have not read the entire article.

This is more about the system than it is about gay rights. Larry was more about getting attention than being
gay, IMO. And the kid who shot him just couldn't handle the situation that Larry put him in. Too young. And
he snapped.

I don't think it was a hate crime.

And the fact that Larry came from a single parent home? That might explain his desperate attempts for
attention. As far as trying to link that to kids being gay? Gives us some stats.

And like I said, I'm not even sure this kid was gay. Nobody is.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 21, 2008, 11:21:02 AM

This is exactly why I have a problem with gay rights. I found it very interesting that Larry, came from a single parent family.

So it's the gay kids fault he got shot?  A lot of kids come from single parent families.  Not all of them turn out to be gay.  I wonder what the back ground of the murderer is.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 21, 2008, 11:33:37 AM

This is exactly why I have a problem with gay rights. I found it very interesting that Larry, came from a single parent family.

So it's the gay kids fault he got shot?  A lot of kids come from single parent families.  Not all of them turn out to be gay.  I wonder what the back ground of the murderer is.

Absolutely not.  It is the society at large who is at fault for the murder.  Had he not been allowed to dress like a girl, then this hate crime would probably never happened.  As it is, we want everyone to have their rights and express how they feel, regardless of whether it is morally accepted, and thus problems as this will continue to exist. 
I feel horrible for both of these young men and their families; a terrible tragedy.  It just goes to show that all we care about in our society today is how we feel.  We could care less how it affects the children.  GW activists are mostly just looking for attention or a profit.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 21, 2008, 11:33:51 AM

I found it very interesting that Larry, came from a single parent family.

You need to go back and actually READ the article ....

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#12 : July 21, 2008, 11:46:09 AM

As it is, we want everyone to have their rights and express how they feel,

yes, people having rights is a terrible thing ...  ::)

NovaBuc

Starter

#13 : July 21, 2008, 12:33:18 PM

Larry was in a single parent family until he was 2, his birth mother was a drug addict at the time. He was then adopted by the Kings and raised by two parents. Brandon came from a worse family situation from the sounds of it, an alcoholic father and a meth-addicted mother who divorced when he was younger. From the article, both kids were very troubled without throwing in the whole gay issue.

If you read the entire article, the way Larry dressed doesn't seem to have been a factor in what happened. On a dare, he told Brandon he wanted him to be his valentine while Brandon was playing basketball with some of his friends. Brandon's friends then began to tease the two of them about having 'gay babies'. I'd say the shame Brandon felt due to the teasing and the implication he is gay is more what motivated the shooting than anything else. Not the fact Larry wore make-up and high heels.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#14 : July 21, 2008, 12:43:07 PM

As it is, we want everyone to have their rights and express how they feel,

Taken out of context.  The right to dress up like a pink elephant and force it upon others as acceptable is the kind of rights I'm talking about.  The right to remove the moral fabric from our country, the principles in which it was founded on, and live in a way that is objectable to the majority.

yes, people having rights is a terrible thing ... ::)
Page: 1 2 3 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gay Pride kills Young Kid « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools