Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's official: Rattay new starter « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 18, 2006, 02:11:00 PM

Gradkowski may go down in history as the worst QB to ever start more than one game for the Bucs.   

You have a very short memory.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 18, 2006, 02:12:27 PM

Gradkowski may go down in history as the worst QB to ever start more than one game for the Bucs.   

You have a very short memory.

the funny thing is Java was very impressed with the way Grads handle himself in the Meadowlands  ??? I know because we watched the game together.   ;)

wtmcgee

Starter

#32 : December 18, 2006, 02:20:29 PM

Rattay is playing now for either a decent contract and a backup job here, with a chance to win the job next year, or just for a FA contract anywhere else.

He's not the long-term answer, but he looks halfway competent out there.  The same can't be said for Grads right now.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#33 : December 18, 2006, 02:36:52 PM

Rattay is now playing for the FA contract but I'm not sure what the Bucs get out of this other than the shot to win some meaningless games. This decision is way too late and, like I said elsewhere, makes the Grads decision look even worse than it does now.

While I agree that having Rattay take snaps in 06 will tell us nothing about the QB position in 07, Gruden doesn't have any other options due to the poor play of Grad and the shocking performance of Rattay. If he goes back to Gradkowski, how can he tell them that performance earns playing time?

Peformances in real games carry some weight with Gruden. But peformances on the practice field are more important to Gruden than in game performances. I disagree with it but that is what Gruden believes in.

Well golly jee,  I guess we should toss out the old adage that 'you play like you practice'.

Rattay has been nothing more than a stopgap his entire career. A backup player sometimes forced into a starting role, nothing more. Over a span of 9 games in 2004 he was less than mediocre, this after having a breakout season in 2003. If its those 2004 game performances you're referring too, it leaves much to be desired.

With most teams, if you don't practice or practice well enough to say that you understand your role in the game, then you don't play. There are few players that are exceptions to this rule (i.e. Steve McNair), and Tim Rattay should not be among those exceptions.

#34 : December 18, 2006, 02:37:34 PM

By the way, just so you know. The player with the title of "worst QB ever to start more than one game for the Bucs" is Randy Hedberg. He played in seven games and started four, and went 25 of 90 (27.8%) and ZERO TD's and TEN INT's.

He finished his Buccaneers (and NFL) career with a passer ration of 8.0. Just so you know I didn't make a typo, that passer rating is eight-point-zero.

Is he a FA?  Where can we sign up for his newsletter?  ;)

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 18, 2006, 03:21:12 PM

By the way, just so you know. The player with the title of "worst QB ever to start more than one game for the Bucs" is Randy Hedberg. He played in seven games and started four, and went 25 of 90 (27.8%) and ZERO TD's and TEN INT's.

He finished his Buccaneers (and NFL) career with a passer ration of 8.0. Just so you know I didn't make a typo, that passer rating is eight-point-zero.

Randy has certain, how to say this, issues with things in the NFL. The biggest were those pesky defenders.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#36 : December 18, 2006, 06:48:53 PM

Well golly jee,  I guess we should toss out the old adage that 'you play like you practice'

I do not believe in that so yeah you could toss it out. o.O

blitz

Pro Bowler
#37 : December 18, 2006, 06:55:12 PM

Rattay is now playing for the FA contract but I'm not sure what the Bucs get out of this other than the shot to win some meaningless games. This decision is way too late and, like I said elsewhere, makes the Grads decision look even worse than it does now.

Something tells me Gruden has been forced to change his way of thinking on this.  You'd have to be blind not to see how Rattay has picked apart the D's in his last two apprearances.   Even a "great" offensive mind like JG couldn't overlook it.

The question is, will the team take a dive in the last two games. 

While I agree that having Rattay take snaps in 06 will tell us nothing about the QB position in 07, Gruden doesn't have any other options due to the poor play of Grad and the shocking performance of Rattay. If he goes back to Gradkowski, how can he tell them that performance earns playing time?

Peformances in real games carry some weight with Gruden. But peformances on the practice field are more important to Gruden than in game performances. I disagree with it but that is what Gruden believes in.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#38 : December 18, 2006, 06:58:06 PM

Something tells me Gruden has been forced to change his way of thinking on this.

Short term yes.  Long term? We shall see.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's official: Rattay new starter « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools