Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Bucs might be better off with Sims starting at UT « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 22, 2008, 11:38:12 AM

well nah, I guess I should have read.  He is right that he is under-rated due to draft status, but I don't think he is great yet.  If he has another solid year, then I'd say he'd be a good defensive tackle.

I can't say great, because when I think of great DT, I think of Warren Sapp in his prime; etc.

He definetely should start though.

Madman

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 22, 2008, 11:44:57 AM

Sims did lead the team in TFL in limited playing time.

I'd like to see Sims and Haye as the starting tackles.

simmstheanswer

Starter

#17 : July 22, 2008, 12:07:32 PM

I just hope one of the 300+ lb DTs (Sims and Moore) can step up. I don't want to go another season with Hovan and Haye.

yeah, another season with Haye sounds horrible... WHAT? the man was by far our best DL last year, another year with him sounds just fine to me.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 22, 2008, 12:08:47 PM

I just hope one of the 300+ lb DTs (Sims and Moore) can step up. I don't want to go another season with Hovan and Haye.

yeah, another season with Haye sounds horrible... WHAT? the man was by far our best DL last year, another year with him sounds just fine to me.
Another year with the #17 run defense isn't fine with me.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

obuc

Starter

#19 : July 22, 2008, 12:09:33 PM

Rather than good or great, what about top echelon in the league. Or is he that? Because if he is that, and this is the heart of the question, he isnt a guy we should be trying to upgrade. Are we set there at that spot with him starting?

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#20 : July 22, 2008, 12:14:13 PM

Haye is a great, not good, great UT. People just can't overlook his draft status and how he was acquired. If he was a 1st round pick half the stadium would be wearing his jersey.
He's a system UT like Cory Redding and Raheem Brock most of the rest of the league wouldn't have the same use for.

For 4-3 DTs Haye was #1 in tackles, #2 in solo tackles, tied for #6 in sacks (just 2 behind Tommie Harris who was #2).

Haye was very inconsistent with his push upfront and that has to improve. When he was able to break free he was able to get to the QB because he's pretty quick. He was good. Certainly not great. I'd prefer less sacks and more push so the QB's cannot step up and see the field cleanly. That was a major problem for the Bucs last season.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#21 : July 22, 2008, 12:29:30 PM

Are you wanting Sims in there because he is BIGGER or BETTER? He was drafted in the top 6 overall, but busted in KC.
Haye was the best DT on the team last year. IMO, he will be better this year.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

#22 : July 22, 2008, 12:30:17 PM

In our system, shouldn't the linebackers be making most of the tackles and not the d-linemen? I always thought it was a bad sign if your d-line guys are racking up the tackles...

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#23 : July 22, 2008, 12:33:48 PM

cutthroat...nah that isn't bad at all..that just means the running backs didn't reach the 2nd level of the defense....it's when your cornerbacks lead the team in tackles when theres to be concern.  I notice Barber ususally has a high amount, but i'd rather see my linebackers and Dlineman have more tackels than my secondary.

JC510

Practice Squad

#24 : July 22, 2008, 12:38:10 PM

Tied for 4th best in ypc against.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 22, 2008, 01:00:37 PM

It's true they help opponents to a good YPC; the problem was every time the opponent needed that one extra yard to keep a drive going, the Bucs couldn't nut up and make a stop. Only 9 teams faced more rushing attempts than the Bucs, and none of them made the playoffs.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#26 : July 22, 2008, 01:39:55 PM

Haye is a great, not good, great UT. People just can't overlook his draft status and how he was acquired. If he was a 1st round pick half the stadium would be wearing his jersey.
He's a system UT like Cory Redding and Raheem Brock most of the rest of the league wouldn't have the same use for.
So hes a perfect fit for our defense.. thats what your saying right?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#27 : July 22, 2008, 01:52:04 PM

So hes a perfect fit for our defense.. thats what your saying right?
No. Players like Sapp, Harris, Kevin Williams, Amobi Okoye, etc. are perfect fits for this defense. Because they are big enough to hold up against the run and explosive enough to rush the passer. That's why they were all top 15 picks. When you deal with marginal prospects like Haye, you don't get both. It's pick your poison. You either get someone big and slow or small and quick.

samlinebacker

Rookie

#28 : July 22, 2008, 02:37:36 PM

I'd defininatly take my chances with Haye, he was by far one of the most improved players on the Bucs, his production value was more than the Bucs could ask for and benching him would be doing a disservice to the team.

simmstheanswer

Starter

#29 : July 22, 2008, 02:43:53 PM

It's true they help opponents to a good YPC; the problem was every time the opponent needed that one extra yard to keep a drive going, the Bucs couldn't nut up and make a stop. Only 9 teams faced more rushing attempts than the Bucs, and none of them made the playoffs.

or perhaps it's just teams coudln't and wouldn't throw on us, that artificially inflates our RunD stats?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Bucs might be better off with Sims starting at UT « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools