Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Bucs might be better off with Sims starting at UT « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 22, 2008, 02:52:42 PM

I just hope one of the 300+ lb DTs (Sims and Moore) can step up. I don't want to go another season with Hovan and Haye.

yeah, another season with Haye sounds horrible... WHAT? the man was by far our best DL last year, another year with him sounds just fine to me.
Another year with the #17 run defense isn't fine with me.

Tied for 4th best in ypc against.
It's true they help opponents to a good YPC; the problem was every time the opponent needed that one extra yard to keep a drive going, the Bucs couldn't nut up and make a stop. Only 9 teams faced more rushing attempts than the Bucs, and none of them made the playoffs.

or perhaps it's just teams coudln't and wouldn't throw on us, that artificially inflates our RunD stats?
The teams that faced more rushing attempts than the Bucs were the Browns, Panthers, Chiefs, Falcons, Raiders, Broncos, 49ers, Jets, and Dolphins. With those teams, do you think it was a case their opponents were afraid of their pass defense or just thought running would be easiest?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#31 : July 22, 2008, 03:01:28 PM

maybe it would be a good idea to rotate the big boys in a bit more?  keep haye fresher for passing downs?  its not an awful idea, thats for sure.  keep a solid rotation i think.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#32 : July 22, 2008, 03:21:25 PM

jeez guys...

why put sims at UT?!

why didnt we just trade some picks for kris jenkins and that henderson fellow from the jags?!!?!?  i coulda done it in madden!

#33 : July 22, 2008, 03:25:20 PM

maybe it would be a good idea to rotate the big boys in a bit more?  keep haye fresher for passing downs?  its not an awful idea, thats for sure.  keep a solid rotation i think.
With Hovan and Sims playing DT at the same time it would give the Bucs 2 strong run stoppers. Also with Sims strength at pushing the OL back into the QB it would force QB take a deeper drop on pass plays giving Adams more room to work and get around the corner for a sack.

I for one would like the coaches to take a harder look at 2 big guys in the middle. Stuffing the run and forcing more third and longs.
I just hope one of the 300+ lb DTs (Sims and Moore) can step up. I don't want to go another season with Hovan and Haye.

They drafted Dre Moore to play just that, the power 3.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 22, 2008, 03:32:25 PM

Haye is a great, not good, great UT. People just can't overlook his draft status and how he was acquired. If he was a 1st round pick half the stadium would be wearing his jersey.
He's a system UT like Cory Redding and Raheem Brock most of the rest of the league wouldn't have the same use for.

For 4-3 DTs Haye was #1 in tackles, #2 in solo tackles, tied for #6 in sacks (just 2 behind Tommie Harris who was #2).

Redding and Brock COMBINED for 68 tackles, 3.5 sacks.
Haye had 68 tackles, 6 sacks.

Good comparison.
Sapp had 41 tackles when he won Defensive Player of the Year in 1999. Tackles are NOT how you evaluate linemen.

If you a guy has the most tackles for a 4-3 DT, don't you think he's doing something right? Like I don't know, maybe shedding blocks and tackling the RB for a minimal gain?

The UT should be generating pressure and Haye has not done a consistently good job of that.  Yeah, he makes tackles, but not behind the line, which is where the UT should be setting up camp.  We need a guy that can make things happen on his own, not a guy that needs a stud secondary to give him coverage sacks.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 22, 2008, 06:24:10 PM

FRG, bradentonian and mtn - along with the buccs are giving you the info.  Moore is here hopin' he can become the Bigger DT who supplied constant pressure/disruption.  Haye doesn't have a new contract bc what he has done is good, not great - and the buccs need more than they are getting at UT... and at NT. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#36 : July 22, 2008, 08:05:03 PM

put in whoever provides the most pass rush..and right now that is not haye

MVP

Pro Bowler

#37 : July 22, 2008, 08:13:53 PM

The most interesting tidbit in my mind is that despite a lack of playing time Sims led all Linemen in tackles for loss with four. While his pass rush is not tremendous if he can provide a consistent surge to collapse the pocket that would make all the defensive linemen better.

Whoever our starting defensive tackle is they will have to win the majority of one-on-one match ups they get due to the presence of Adams and White.   
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Bucs might be better off with Sims starting at UT « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools