Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The light at the end of the tunnel « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#15 : July 24, 2008, 03:40:26 PM

Obama has made his own name by his own accomplishments

You would think that if he made his own name, he would have choosen something better.

Something a little more American for the Presidency.

Aye, So we cut Clifton Smith?!?!

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

hoodsbucs

Pro Bowler
#16 : July 24, 2008, 03:43:09 PM

These are our only two options....?

We are screwed either way.....face it

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#17 : July 24, 2008, 03:44:22 PM

The light at the end of the tunnel=on coming train.

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#18 : July 24, 2008, 03:50:05 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Aye, So we cut Clifton Smith?!?!

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 24, 2008, 04:48:29 PM

Obama is a rock star plain and simple, he has fans. After hearing him speak people cant even tell you what he said. Other
then "he's about change". I've seen it first hand when he was in the bay area. lots of co-workers went.
The next day i asked "So whats his stance on XYZ"

Response..................."He's running on change"

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 24, 2008, 08:02:07 PM

I think Obama will be a good thing for Americans standing in the world.  The current foreign policy, or lack thereof, is not working.  We need a change, and the only candidate offering change is Obama.  I am not confident his policies for the economy will work but even in that area things have got to change. 

People criticize him for his inexperience, and say he is just a good public speaker......well that is funny because Tony Blair is the white version of Obama, and Americans loved him.

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#21 : July 24, 2008, 08:13:41 PM

americans loved Maggie too - in fact, i think we've been pretty friendly to all of Britain's parliamentary leaders as its a good relationship overall.

being "for" change is one thing, even if it is undefinable, being able to execute a plan that entirely wraps around the wallets of americans is going to be as popular as the war was after one year.

here's hoping obama pulls it off, but here's betting he's going to be an utter failure.  i'm hedging that bet because his democratic congress is going to run with his "plan" and we'll all get tired of $7/gallon of gas and two year waiting period to get a filling.

but as we turn into a 3rd world mainstay (and we can then say that it'll take years to fix the F'ing he's going to put to this country - that'll be as cute then as it is now) - at least some frickin' schmuck in Germany will like us because that is critical.

but at least the government will be there to save me when i can't get a job, can't afford to open a business, and he completely kills the american dream.

goonga la goonga - so i got that going for me...

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#22 : July 24, 2008, 08:35:29 PM

Why am I not surprised?

Just a list a couple, Sparky.

You said it, back it up.
!. He's a college graduate.
2. He's a Senator.
3. He's a candidate for the Presidency without following on the coattails of his rich and famous daddy.

Most people would consider any one of those to be an accomplishment. He had to work to get where he is. Nobody handed it to him.

John McCain is a fine man too. He had every advantage with wealth and influence, but he also worked and earned his reputation.

Either of these men would be a huge improvement over Bush.

I believe McCain might be reluctant to get our guys out of Iraq, and he would already be the oldest man elected to the office at this point. The potential for him to still be in office in 2016 is not comforting. Most southerners my age would prefer a senile white man over a competent black man. I have to think about the America my children and grandchildren will have to deal with. I have my preference but just knowing the Presidential IQ will double January 20th will bring a sigh of relief to the civilized world.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#23 : July 24, 2008, 08:46:15 PM

^^That's true.  Obama did get elected to the Senate. He didn't attend any of their meetings, but he got in, and that's an accomplishment.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#24 : July 24, 2008, 10:25:05 PM

Obama is a rock star plain and simple, he has fans. After hearing him speak people cant even tell you what he said. Other
then "he's about change". I've seen it first hand when he was in the bay area. lots of co-workers went.
The next day i asked "So whats his stance on XYZ"

Response..................."He's running on change"

He has some very good campaign managers/advisors. His trip overseas was perfect - made him appear presidential. Left McCain stateside looking like a fool.  GWB also had very good campaign advisors - they had to be to get him elected.  I'm afraid that once elected, Obama won't be able to sustain what his politcal advisors have accomplished.   They can get him elected, but after that its all on him. Same thing happened to GWB.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#25 : July 24, 2008, 10:30:02 PM

!. He's a college graduate.
2. He's a Senator.

If either of these accomplishments make someone qualified for the President of the United States, then there are millions of qualified, accomplished candidates in the country.

3. He's a candidate for the Presidency without following on the coattails of his rich and famous daddy.

Either of these men would be a huge improvement over Bush.

I have my preference but just knowing the Presidential IQ will double January 20th will bring a sigh of relief to the civilized world.

Your disdain for Bush is noted, but you realize he isn't running, right?

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 25, 2008, 02:56:17 AM

i hate to beat a horse like it has as many lives as a cat, but.........  this notion that "everybody" hates bush is just BS.  there are a bunch of folks, maybe even half of our popuation that would rather have him than either of the current candidates.  this fictitious "we", "everybody", and "they" argument that every democrat surrogate pours over the air waves is just lunacy.  when you have a presdent that gets no credit for anything positive, all the blame for everything negative (after all, "it starts at the top" is a powerful scapegoating tactic for non-thinkers), and mix it with difficult times - the looney fringe of the opposing side gets more air time than it really deserves.

i know, i know, it's bush's fault whack job extremist flew into our buildings, it's bush's fault a lot of americans "qualified" for sub prime mortgages, it's bush's fault american business's opt for cheap labor in other country's because our unions would rather have an excuse than solve a problem, it's bush's fault his tax breaks are a bad idea but obama's "tax relief" package of $600 is better than the $1000 or so qualifying families currently receive... just makes perfect sense except for that whole, crazy mathematics part that is just too difficult to scrutinize, therefore, we won't talk about it. 

2006 IRS Report shows the upper 10% of income earners pay 70% of the existing tax pool and the lower 50% pay just under 3% - it only makes sense for obama to penalize the upper 10% further because they are evil for being successful and its their obligation to share the wealth by raising corporate tax (going over 50%), Soc Sec (no cap), Capital Gains (doubled at least), FICA - stack federal mandated healthcare on top of that and it will be the end of the marginal small business, also known as the backbone of this country.

so all you "change" worshippers who think "anything" is better than 8 more years of blah, blah, blah - i hope you have truly examined the options and understand that the Carter era of 70% taxes on the wealthy, energy crisis, 18% interest, etc... was not the best of times.

someone who really cares about their grandchildren explain to me how having that generation fall under the burden of big gov't programs are the benefactor of this "change" and "hope".  i'm dying to see what i'm missing here because i've run a small business over the last 8 years and while challenging and expensive, it has been possible.  if the proposed obama economic model is deployed, i don't see how or why folks will be able to chase that dream or maintain it. 

i'm pushing my son to take course work in community organizing...  to helll with law, med, or engineering school.

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#27 : July 25, 2008, 04:21:52 AM

Obama went to a prep school and an Ivy League university.  These are not advantages similar to Bush and McCain?  Jeesh.  Personally I can't stand either candidate, and as usual I'll have to decide which is the lesser of the evils.

Dash Riprock

Starter

#28 : July 25, 2008, 07:36:28 AM

i hate to beat a horse like it has as many lives as a cat, but......... this notion that "everybody" hates bush is just a subject for debate. there are a bunch of folks, maybe even half of our popuation that would rather have him than either of the current candidates. this fictitious "we", "everybody", and "they" argument that every democrat surrogate pours over the air waves is just lunacy. when you have a presdent that gets no credit for anything positive, all the blame for everything negative (after all, "it starts at the top" is a powerful scapegoating tactic for non-thinkers), and mix it with difficult times - the looney fringe of the opposing side gets more air time than it really deserves.

i know, i know, it's bush's fault whack job extremist flew into our buildings, it's bush's fault a lot of americans "qualified" for sub prime mortgages, it's bush's fault american business's opt for cheap labor in other country's because our unions would rather have an excuse than solve a problem, it's bush's fault his tax breaks are a bad idea but obama's "tax relief" package of $600 is better than the $1000 or so qualifying families currently receive... just makes perfect sense except for that whole, crazy mathematics part that is just too difficult to scrutinize, therefore, we won't talk about it.

2006 IRS Report shows the upper 10% of income earners pay 70% of the existing tax pool and the lower 50% pay just under 3% - it only makes sense for obama to penalize the upper 10% further because they are evil for being successful and its their obligation to share the wealth by raising corporate tax (going over 50%), Soc Sec (no cap), Capital Gains (doubled at least), FICA - stack federal mandated healthcare on top of that and it will be the end of the marginal small business, also known as the backbone of this country.

so all you "change" worshippers who think "anything" is better than 8 more years of blah, blah, blah - i hope you have truly examined the options and understand that the Carter era of 70% taxes on the wealthy, energy crisis, 18% interest, etc... was not the best of times.

someone who really cares about their grandchildren explain to me how having that generation fall under the burden of big gov't programs are the benefactor of this "change" and "hope". i'm dying to see what i'm missing here because i've run a small business over the last 8 years and while challenging and expensive, it has been possible. if the proposed obama economic model is deployed, i don't see how or why folks will be able to chase that dream or maintain it.

i'm pushing my son to take course work in community organizing... to helll with law, med, or engineering school.

Damn straight, what he said

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#29 : July 25, 2008, 08:09:13 AM

The Carter analogy has been something that has come up in talks several times.  Let's hope that isn't were we are heading. 

It sure appears that way though...
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The light at the end of the tunnel « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools