Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What does this year have to do with last year??? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

: October 10, 2006, 09:22:24 AM

That is the question some consistently asked on this message board.

When members of this board suggested this defensive free agent, or that defensive free agent...they were constantly barraged with the claim that the Buccs had the #1 defense last season. The question was asked over and over again "what does last year have to do with this year?" I guess we all see... Absolutely nothing at all.

I hope all the members who thought that this defense would just automatically be great again just because they were last season can look in the mirror today. This discussion took place all off season.

One smug and cokky know it all....and you know who you are....put his 2 cents worth into every thread that suggested we look at any defensive free agent. This was his post, over and over again. "What part don't you understand about the Buccs being the #1 defense last year?"

So now I want to ask you....what part don't you understand that last year has nothing to do with this year.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 10, 2006, 09:23:46 AM

What does something four years ago have to do with this year?  ;)

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 10, 2006, 09:26:34 AM

The Super Bowl champs have exactly one win more than our Bucs. So what DOES last year have to do with this year?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 10, 2006, 09:29:26 AM

When members of this board suggested this defensive free agent, or that defensive free agent...they were constantly barraged with the claim that the Buccs had the #1 defense last season. The question was asked over and over again "what does last year have to do with this year?" I guess we all see... Absolutely nothing at all.

I hope all the members who thought that this defense would just automatically be great again just because they were last season can look in the mirror today. This discussion took place all off season.

One smug and expetivey know it all....and you know who you are....put his 2 cents worth into every thread that suggested we look at any defensive free agent. This was his post, over and over again. "What part don't you understand about the Buccs being the #1 defense last year?"

So now I want to ask you....what part don't you understand that last year has nothing to do with this year.

There wasn't many players that would improve the team that we could afford.  They made a mistake not offering Dwight Smith a longer contract, but that is about it.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 10, 2006, 09:35:17 AM

There wasn't many players that would improve the team that we could afford. They made a mistake not offering Dwight Smith a longer contract, but that is about it.

Also a big mistake by not taking a look at Rocky Bernard.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 10, 2006, 09:38:35 AM

One smug and expetivey know it all....and you know who you are....put his 2 cents worth into every thread that suggested we look at any defensive free agent. This was his post, over and over again. "What part don't you understand about the Buccs being the #1 defense last year?"

Each team looks at the previous year to see what imprvments need to be made. You either clean house and start clean or build off of what you accomplished last year. The Bucs were the #1 defense so really not much was needed, IMO. Even if the FO thought the D would fall a little that would still be good enough to pull the team through. Letting D Jack go was a huge mistake. He was a veteran leader, smart player, was a great fit for this system, etc. I love D Jack and wish they would've kept him.

Clearly because of what's transpired this year the FO will address the defense this offseason and in the draft. They probably thought they could ride this D for one more year before reloading. Hindsight now that was the wrong move but it all felt pretty good the begining of this year.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#6 : October 10, 2006, 09:42:07 AM

The Super Bowl champs have exactly one win more than our Bucs. So what DOES last year have to do with this year?
This also falls into place with all the fans that say the previous Champ automatically is the favorite the following year until some one beats them. Another ludicrous statement.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#7 : October 10, 2006, 09:44:39 AM

The Bucs were the #1 defense so really not much was needed, IMO.
That's obviously an ignorant statement in hindsight. Before the season started all the differing sides on this argument had was an opinion. But now that the season is playing out, do you still think last year means anything?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 10, 2006, 09:59:05 AM

That's obviously an ignorant statement in hindsight. Before the season started all the differing sides on this argument had was an opinion. But now that the season is playing out, do you still think last year means anything?

I'm not making it in hindsight, talking about before the season started. Of course I don't feel that way now but looking at this in hindsight isn't going to prove anything. How could anyone project what has transpired? What does a team use to determine  upgrades that need to be made if the previous year isn't evaluated?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 10, 2006, 10:00:50 AM

ABuccs.   Dude.   You know I love ya man (in a non gay way).   But that toilet with piss in it has to go.   I'm trying to eat pizza right now while checking the internet.   That picture is disgusting enough that I can't eat now.    You've made your point with it.   Please don't put that thing in every post.  

To address the actual topic, which isn't easy while looking at a toilet full of piss, last year doesn't mean anything as far as this year goes.   Neither does the superbowl season.    You're only as good as your last game.  

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#10 : October 10, 2006, 10:02:02 AM

I'm not making it in hindsight, talking about before the season started. Of course I don't feel that way now but looking at this in hindsight isn't going to prove anything. How could anyone project what has transpired? What does a team use to determine  upgrades that need to be made if the previous year isn't evaluated?
Because no team in the NFL can rest on their laurels. Every team has to strive to improve year in and year out. Just expecting to good because you were the season before is a death sentence to any championship hopes.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#11 : October 10, 2006, 10:03:12 AM

ABuccs.   Dude.   You know I love ya man (in a non gay way).   But that toilet with piss in it has to go.   I'm trying to eat pizza right now while checking the internet.   That picture is disgusting enough that I can't eat now.    You've made your point with it.   Please don't put that thing in every post.   

Would it help you to know, that...that is actually my piss you're looking at.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#12 : October 10, 2006, 10:12:38 AM

But thinking back, the defense didn't really show that they were gonna collapse this badly. While everybody thought the only dropoff in play would be in safety, nobody expected it to be such a big dropoff. Also, the major problems this year on D is a lack of fundamentals, (tackling, swarming to the ball, staying in gaps). Its not like the defense didn't show those fundamentals last year. Hindsight, the team should have signed some defensive FAs.
I disagree. Many people on this very message board questioned Brooks' play last season. He was just as awful last season the first few weeks as this season. PewterReport came out with an article stating Brooks had an undisclosed injury that wasn't reported. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. Well, was there really an undisclosed injury? Who the hell knows. That fact of the matter is you can't go with the status quo. Many members here love to fight with dalbuc, I do because it is fun. But he constantly laughed at the notion that continuity would get this team over the hump, and many called him a hater, and a message board GM. If a team doesn't make strides toward improvement, they may not get worse, but the other teams will pass them in the outside lane.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#13 : October 10, 2006, 10:06:30 AM

But thinking back, the defense didn't really show that they were gonna collapse this badly. While everybody thought the only dropoff in play would be in safety, nobody expected it to be such a big dropoff. Also, the major problems this year on D is a lack of fundamentals, (tackling, swarming to the ball, staying in gaps). Its not like the defense didn't show those fundamentals last year. Hindsight, the team should have signed some defensive FAs.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 10, 2006, 10:47:48 AM

Many people felt the defense's #1 ranking was misleading.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What does this year have to do with last year??? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools