Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tim Rattay Reassessed « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

« : December 18, 2006, 04:54:09 PM »

I've tried emptying my mind of my preconceived feelings about Rattay, but looking at him again...here are a few stats from his days on that horrible 49ers squad:

1. He's started exactly 16 games in his career.  Stats (including games not started):

60%, 27 TD/19 INT, 4292 yards, 6.77 YPA, 82.6 rating.

2. He had TO to throw to for a little over 1/4 of his attempts.  Other than that, who did the 49ers have?

3. He's only 29 years old.

So the question is this: why Rattay automagically considered to be...chopped liver?  He doesn't have all that much experience, but has spent his whole career in the WCO.

I'm not anointing anyone, just tossing out some conversation points.  What is your opinion of Rattay's upside?  How would you feel if Simms got away and we ended up with a depth chart of Rattay over McCown and Grads?  Rattay is actually still an unproven quantity, much like every other QB on the roster.

So?

#2Linebacker32

Starter

« #1 : December 18, 2006, 05:06:46 PM »

I think those number are great numbers for the team he has been on. I think his knowledge of the WCO should give him a look in the off-season to return here next year as a possible starter. He has a great touch on the ball and moves around in the pocket to create more time to throw the ball. I have liked him when he was in SF. Rattay is the starter for the rest of the season so we should be able to assess him when these next two games are played.. who's to say this guy cant be the QB here for the next 4 or 6 years ye's still young..

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 18, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »

Rattay is as good as he's gonna get - he's a 7 year veteran. He's a physically limited player. He's a veteran NFL backup and when we got him last year he seemed like a useful guy moving forward. He's a lot like Grads IMHO, a bit less than the prototype, best short and intermediate. Quick release.

What soured folks here were:

1. PR reports calling him worse than Shaun King and talking about the staff wanting to dump him. That was backed up by the fact that he couldn't displace McCown all last year as the #2 nor Grads.

2. His less than impressive pre-season which was, in retrospect, all of 25 throws.

Those things overrode the common sense that the guy was decent Jay Fielder type NFL level backup based on his career body of work.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

panchovilla

Rookie

« #3 : December 18, 2006, 05:18:38 PM »

What a great thread with well thought out calculations and proving the point that your preconceived misconceptions of the guy were more poor analysis by the local media including PR. Maybe Gruden bought in and that's why he didn't start Rattay over Grads, what a terrible decision that was. Thanks for the level headed thought out thread. Rattay may not be the future of this franchise but he proved a valuable point that Gruden is a trerrible personel evaluator.

« #4 : December 18, 2006, 05:23:32 PM »

Rattay is as good as he's gonna get - he's a 7 year veteran. He's a physically limited player. He's a veteran NFL backup and when we got him last year he seemed like a useful guy moving forward. He's a lot like Grads IMHO, a bit less than the prototype, best short and intermediate. Quick release.

What soured folks here were:

1. PR reports calling him worse than Shaun King and talking about the staff wanting to dump him. That was backed up by the fact that he couldn't displace McCown all last year as the #2 nor Grads.

2. His less than impressive pre-season which was, in retrospect, all of 25 throws.

Those things overrode the common sense that the guy was decent Jay Fielder type NFL level backup based on his career body of work.

Right, these things I can't really deny.  However, I do see some similarities in the Gannon situation in Oakland and the Rattay situation here.  Both QBs do have/had a record of taking decent care of the ball.  Both have/had decent attributes for the WCO.  Both are/were coming into situations with teams with an array of decent weapons (provided that the youngsters are actually more like they looked Sunday and less like they looked the rest of the year), yet no superstars in their prime around them.

I know looking for this "next Gannon" situation has been overblown, but would it really be a bad situation to go into next year with a young QB (Grads or Other) playing behind Rattay, who could function as a caretaker?

I'm NOT saying Rattay will be MVP any time soon, I'm just speculating as to the level of success he could have...

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #5 : December 18, 2006, 05:26:04 PM »

What a great thread with well thought out calculations and proving the point that your preconceived misconceptions of the guy were more poor analysis by the local media including PR. Maybe Gruden bought in and that's why he didn't start Rattay over Grads, what a terrible decision that was. Thanks for the level headed thought out thread. Rattay may not be the future of this franchise but he proved a valuable point that Gruden is a trerrible personel evaluator.

OK Shirley, lets not get ahead of ourselves.  Rattay played a nice game yesterday, well half a game, but his entire body of work is less than impressive.  He came in and made some good passes, THAT THE WRs CAUGHT, but we were chasing the game and the Bears had eased off quite a bit.

You can't judge Rattay on half a game, afterall Grads's first game was just as impressive.   ;)

« #6 : December 18, 2006, 05:26:47 PM »

Well...Rattay does have a rep as being a better "player" than a "practicer"...so much for "you play as you practice".

Interestingly, Rattay made all of these "bad personnel decisions" look alot better.  Having a guy under center who can simply distibute the ball is a big difference.  Maybe A. Smith, Stovall, Clayton, DJ, Trueblood and others were actually good decisions?

They did look significantly better with Rattay back there...the O-line dealt well with some interesting blitzes.

« #7 : December 18, 2006, 05:31:41 PM »

OK Shirley, lets not get ahead of ourselves.  Rattay played a nice game yesterday, well half a game, but his entire body of work is less than impressive.  He came in and made some good passes, THAT THE WRs CAUGHT, but we were chasing the game and the Bears had eased off quite a bit.

You can't judge Rattay on half a game, afterall Grads first game was just as impressive.   ;)

Agreed.  And I don't think we've found our "Franchise QB" (tm).  We'll see what Rattay can do.

I will say that after seeing what guys with experience in this sys can do when they come in under a good coach (see...oh...Garcia, Jeff), I think that maybe seeing a guy like Rattay with so much training in the WCO might be just what a youngster would need to get his head around the system.

I mean, when Grads needed guidance, he had...Simms to look to?

I think that Rattay might be a very (as it was said above) "useful" guy to have around next year, whatever spot he ends up in.  I can say this after his first significant action as a Buc:

I undervalued him.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 18, 2006, 06:15:06 PM »

because he sucks...simple as that.

blitz

Pro Bowler
« #9 : December 18, 2006, 06:40:35 PM »

OK Shirley, lets not get ahead of ourselves.  Rattay played a nice game yesterday, well half a game, but his entire body of work is less than impressive.  He came in and made some good passes, THAT THE WRs CAUGHT, but we were chasing the game and the Bears had eased off quite a bit.

You can't judge Rattay on half a game, afterall Grads first game was just as impressive.   ;)

Agreed. And I don't think we've found our "Franchise QB" (tm). We'll see what Rattay can do.

I will say that after seeing what guys with experience in this sys can do when they come in under a good coach (see...oh...Garcia, Jeff), I think that maybe seeing a guy like Rattay with so much training in the WCO might be just what a youngster would need to get his head around the system.

I mean, when Grads needed guidance, he had...Simms to look to?

I think that Rattay might be a very (as it was said above) "useful" guy to have around next year, whatever spot he ends up in. I can say this after his first significant action as a Buc:

I undervalued him.

This guy has been undervalued by everyone including the coach.   The truth is, he was displaced by a Number 1 draft pick....a Savior.

Rattay is the best QB in a Bucs uniform.   If he continues to show promise in the next two games, look for the Bucs to pass on a QB in the draft and get a WR or a LT.

Rattay is proving to Gruden that he missed the on field leadership qualities he desperately needs to resurrect this offense.

The crow has been served.   Eat up all.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #10 : December 18, 2006, 06:52:15 PM »

So the question is this: why Rattay automagically considered to be...chopped liver?  He doesn't have all that much experience, but has spent his whole career in the WCO.

I'm not anointing anyone, just tossing out some conversation points.  What is your opinion of Rattay's upside?  How would you feel if Simms got away and we ended up with a depth chart of Rattay over McCown and Grads?  Rattay is actually still an unproven quantity, much like every other QB on the roster.

So?

Rattay is considered chop liver by some becuase he is a sixth round pick.  But magically people forgot that he was a sixth round pick when he threw those three TD's yesterday.

Rattay's problem is that he has not proven to be consistent and he has probably the most experience on the roster.  Simms/Gradkowski can be considered inconsistent becuase they do not have a whole lot of playing time.  It is true Rattay does not either and played with some bad 49er teams but the light has not come on for him consistently......yet.

His upside is hard to gauge but if he lights it up in the next two games I can see Gruden all over him.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #11 : December 18, 2006, 07:01:16 PM »

Rattay said yesterday was "The best protection he's had in his 7? years in the NFL".

If that's accurate, it could get interesting around here soon.  Low odds of him looking particularly good from his past performances, but not impossible. 

Some other interesting quotes in the article on him starting next week, too.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #12 : December 18, 2006, 07:22:44 PM »

Rattay said yesterday was "The best protection he's had in his 7? years in the NFL".

If that's accurate, it could get interesting around here soon.  Low odds of him looking particularly good from his past performances, but not impossible. 

Some other interesting quotes in the article on him starting next week, too.

Rattay was beat up badly as a 49er and he had little personnel to work with (other than TO for a little bit) on offense.  I remember when the Bucs defense really put a beating on him several years ago.  It did not help that his WR's and RB's dropped balls in that game (sounds familiar?).

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
« #13 : December 18, 2006, 08:15:43 PM »

Rattay was terrible in the preseason. Whether it was 25 throws or whatever, he lost the backup job to Grads fair and square.  Don't try to spin it another way.  We all saw the preseason games.  Rattay was horrible, and we all thought it would have been a crime if Grads didn't get the #2 spot.

Beniro, weren't you a Buc fan at the beginning of the year? Were you out of the country or something? Because it seems like you weren't there.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #14 : December 18, 2006, 08:21:46 PM »

Rattay was terrible in the preseason. Whether it was 25 throws or whatever, he lost the backup job to Grads fair and square. Don't try to spin it another way. We all saw the preseason games. Rattay was horrible, and we all thought it would have been a crime if Grads didn't get the #2 spot.

Beniro, weren't you a Buc fan at the beginning of the year? Were you out of the country or something? Because it seems like you weren't there.

good stuff ICHT, if onl reality would set in for most others one here
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tim Rattay Reassessed « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools