Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tim Rattay Reassessed « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

spartan

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 18, 2006, 08:31:10 PM

As we all know Rattay is obviously a future HOFer and is going to lead us to at least another 2 or 3 rings. The bad news is that he is going to make Grudens playcalling and game plans look good.

Oh wait, was that only half a game he has played for us? Dang, maybe I should hold back a bit on the the Rattay is our redemption, QB of the future, overall saviour and Gruden is a jackass rhetoric until he has played, um maybe a few more games? There might just be a reason why he hasn't played up until this time.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#16 : December 18, 2006, 08:58:57 PM

Rattay was terrible in the preseason. Whether it was 25 throws or whatever, he lost the backup job to Grads fair and square. Don't try to spin it another way. We all saw the preseason games. Rattay was horrible, and we all thought it would have been a crime if Grads didn't get the #2 spot.

Beniro, weren't you a Buc fan at the beginning of the year? Were you out of the country or something? Because it seems like you weren't there.

Let's face it,  Gruden dubbed Grads his man early in camp and all Rattay got was hamburger squad leftovers when he did get in during the preseason.

Secondly,  when he's been on the field these last two games he looks like he knows what the hecks going on out there.  Not like Simms and Grads.  Rattay has taken over in some very ugly situations when the D line is just coming at him full bore.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 18, 2006, 09:00:53 PM

Secondly,  when he's been on the field these last two games he looks like he knows what the hecks going on out there.  Not like Simms and Grads.  Rattay has taken over in some very ugly situations when the D line is just coming at him full bore.

He has a lot more experience to draw on in pressure situations.  Give Grads or Simms 7 or 8 years in the league, and I bet they could come off the bench and do pretty well.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 18, 2006, 09:02:16 PM

Rattay was terrible in the preseason. Whether it was 25 throws or whatever, he lost the backup job to Grads fair and square. Don't try to spin it another way. We all saw the preseason games. Rattay was horrible, and we all thought it would have been a crime if Grads didn't get the #2 spot.

Beniro, weren't you a Buc fan at the beginning of the year? Were you out of the country or something? Because it seems like you weren't there.

Let's face it,  Gruden dubbed Grads his man early in camp and all Rattay got was hamburger squad leftovers when he did get in during the preseason.

But Rattay has to take some of the burden for not earning playing time by playing better in practices and not being able to outshine a rookie in practice .  I do not agree with Gruden in this belief. But everyone knows to earn playing time for Jon you have to show up in practice.

#19 : December 19, 2006, 08:42:17 AM

Rattay was terrible in the preseason. Whether it was 25 throws or whatever, he lost the backup job to Grads fair and square.  Don't try to spin it another way.  We all saw the preseason games.  Rattay was horrible, and we all thought it would have been a crime if Grads didn't get the #2 spot.

Yeah, I saw those preseason games and heard the talk about Rattay.  I know the criticism.  Certainly 25 passes isn't a large enough statistical sample to condemn someone, and the rap on Rattay has always been that he plays better than he practices.  Like I said, I'm not anointing anyone, just presenting a new look at someone alot of people have taken as fairly valueless.

My post was meant to urge people to get rid of their preconceptions and assess him anew.  I wanted to hear what people thought in that context.

Bahh!  Wasn't I a Buc fan at the beginning of the year?  I'll just let that one slide.  ;)

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 19, 2006, 09:26:47 AM

Rattay was terrible in the preseason. Whether it was 25 throws or whatever, he lost the backup job to Grads fair and square.  Don't try to spin it another way.  We all saw the preseason games.  Rattay was horrible, and we all thought it would have been a crime if Grads didn't get the #2 spot.

..and maybe what "we" think shouldn't matter. NFL experience > anything else with QB's. We all should know this at some level. We all know what rookie QB's can do in this league and it typically isn't pretty. Especially a guy like Gradkowski who can't fall back on his physical gifts like Vince Young needs time to maximize his biggest asset his smarts. Putting him in flushed this season away.  Might Rattay have done the same thing? Myabe but what do you lose by rolling Rattay out there and seeing what experience can do for you?

If the argument is, "he doesn't practice well" then that is STILL Gruden's fault because they traded for the guy. They should have known his reputation and understood what they were getting. Trading for him and thinking they'd make him a good practice player is like those girls that marry guys planning to change them. Doesn't happen.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 19, 2006, 09:58:06 AM

He di

If the argument is, "he doesn't practice well" then that is STILL Gruden's fault because they traded for the guy.
First, he didn't PLAY well in the preseason games, and that goes along with not practicing well. Thats the double whammy.  And Gruden gave up a 6th round pick for the guy.  The fact that Rattay made the team justifies that trade.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 19, 2006, 10:07:24 AM

I look back at Gannon's career and see a little Rattay in there.  Honestly, Gannon was mediocre at best his first seven years, and then he began to show life in Kansas City, and was reborn in Oakland. 
I could care less at this point why Gradkowski played and Rattay didn't; It's not going to change and it really is useless to even discuss.  If Gruden does retain his job, and I think being competitive as we were Sunday goes a long way in making this a reality, let's continue to use this time to evaluate Rattay.
I'm no draft expert, but I have got to think we need to draft heavily on the defensive side of the ball and use free agency to acquire offensive players that can have an immediate impact, like McCardell, etc.  It would suit me just fine if Tim Rattay turned into the next Gannon and tore the league up the next five years.  If the man goes out and leads us to two victories, he at least deserves to come back next year and compete for a position.  But please, don't anoint him just yet.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 19, 2006, 10:21:13 AM

If Rattay leads the Bucs to two victories I can see Gruden enamored and all over him heading into the off season.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 19, 2006, 10:23:26 AM

If Rattay leads the Bucs to two victories I can see Gruden enamored and all over him heading into the off season.

Deja Vu  >:(

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 19, 2006, 10:24:46 AM

Deja Vu  >:(

We have seen this happen before with Griese so yeah...Deja Vu ^^^  o.O

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 19, 2006, 10:26:47 AM

OK All, perhaps you can enlighten us about what the right move for Gruden to do regarding the QB situation at this point.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 19, 2006, 10:29:00 AM

OK All, perhaps you can enlighten us about what the right move for Gruden to do regarding the QB situation at this point.

At this point the only thinng that makes sense is Grads, in view of the earlier decision he made. Look at it this way, if Rattay had started and we were 3-11 right now what makes sense? Play the kid with a future. The fact that Grads has been playing to this point doesn't change that logic. He's gonna be here, Rattay likely not, play the kid that Gruden has said all along he thinks has a future because there is no "right now" now.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 19, 2006, 10:29:15 AM

Are you implying that it would not bother you if Rattay was leading the team next year?  ???

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 19, 2006, 10:33:12 AM

He's gonna be here, Rattay likely not,

Well at first we assumed that Rattay would be gone becuase he simply was no good.  Now he may be gone becuase he might be offered more money elsewhere or did not like how he was treated here.

Then again the Bucs may open up the wallet to keep him.  Too early to assume all that but it is a real possiblity.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tim Rattay Reassessed « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools