Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tim Rattay Reassessed « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 19, 2006, 10:40:39 AM

OK All, perhaps you can enlighten us about what the right move for Gruden to do regarding the QB situation at this point.

At this point the only thinng that makes sense is Grads, in view of the earlier decision he made. Look at it this way, if Rattay had started and we were 3-11 right now what makes sense? Play the kid with a future. The fact that Grads has been playing to this point doesn't change that logic. He's gonna be here, Rattay likely not, play the kid that Gruden has said all along he thinks has a future because there is no "right now" now.

If Rattay shows some form the next two games they should definitely retain him.  If he doesn't shine then Garcia should be pursued.  Eitherway Grads and McCown will still be here, and competing in TC.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 19, 2006, 10:41:54 AM

OK All, perhaps you can enlighten us about what the right move for Gruden to do regarding the QB situation at this point.

At this point the only thinng that makes sense is Grads, in view of the earlier decision he made. Look at it this way, if Rattay had started and we were 3-11 right now what makes sense? Play the kid with a future. The fact that Grads has been playing to this point doesn't change that logic. He's gonna be here, Rattay likely not, play the kid that Gruden has said all along he thinks has a future because there is no "right now" now.

If Rattay shows some form the next two games they should definitely retain him.  If he doesn't shine then Garcia should be pursued.  Eitherway Grads and McCown will still be here, and competing in TC.

This time the Bucs will have cap money to try to keep Rattay compared to Greise's situation.  As strange as it sounds it might happen.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 19, 2006, 10:47:16 AM

If Gruden had kept playing Grads he would've lost the team.  You have to be accountable for your play.  Flip sucks so he loses snaps to Pearson.  Bolden sucked so he loses snaps to Buchanon.  You can't make the QB exempt just because he's the QB.  If he did that, what does that say to rest of the team?

As for Grads' future, maybe Gruden isn't as enchanted by it anymore.  If Grads had proven to Gruden that he had a future by at least getting better every game he might not have been pulled.  Besides, getting pulled might be better for his future than leaving him out there to get slaughtered like he was doing.

#33 : December 19, 2006, 10:49:18 AM

Are you implying that it would not bother you if Rattay was leading the team next year?  ???

If Rattay shows that he can consistently get the ball into the hands of the play makers, I wouldn't be against him being the "Shepherd" next year for this young offense.  Someone said Rattay said that the protection he got on Sunday was "the best he's had in this league".  Not saying he's fabulous, but he might be the right type of guy for a young QB (Grads or other) to learn the WCO under.  Plus for now, he can be the vet leader.  If he starts next year, gets the team moving in a good direction, then is replaced the following year, I wouldn't be against it.

If...if...if...

It's iffy.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#34 : December 19, 2006, 10:51:19 AM

Are you implying that it would not bother you if Rattay was leading the team next year?  ???

If Rattay shows that he can consistently get the ball into the hands of the play makers, I wouldn't be against him being the "Shepherd" next year for this young offense.  Someone said Rattay said that the protection he got on Sunday was "the best he's had in this league".  Not saying he's fabulous, but he might be the right type of guy for a young QB (Grads or other) to learn the WCO under.  Plus for now, he can be the vet leader.  If he starts next year, gets the team moving in a good direction, then is replaced the following year, I wouldn't be against it.

If...if...if...

It's iffy.

Rattay is not a bad option for the short term but where does this lead down the road?

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#35 : December 19, 2006, 11:04:34 AM

Rattay is a career third string QB and that will be proven out in the last two games.  Grads was benched because he was only getting worse.  Its not automatic that any experience is good experience.  Obviously Grads needs to be able to use the offseason to digest the experience he has, and more experience will just give him indigestion, like his play was doing to us.

#36 : December 19, 2006, 11:06:16 AM

I agree he may be THE short term answer. This whole situation reminds me way too much of a possible "GANNON" all over again. Do I think Rattay can become Gannon? I dont think so, but I would love to be wrong. I for one could care less what he did before coming here, if he can run THIS offense, thats all that matters to me. Maybe Gruden would be pleasantly surprised also! :-

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 19, 2006, 11:11:02 AM

Rattay is a career third string QB

Actually he's a career second stringer. He's been #2 on the DC his entire post-rookie career until his time here.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#38 : December 19, 2006, 11:35:36 AM

Are you implying that it would not bother you if Rattay was leading the team next year? ???

If Rattay shows that he can consistently get the ball into the hands of the play makers, I wouldn't be against him being the "Shepherd" next year for this young offense. Someone said Rattay said that the protection he got on Sunday was "the best he's had in this league". Not saying he's fabulous, but he might be the right type of guy for a young QB (Grads or other) to learn the WCO under. Plus for now, he can be the vet leader. If he starts next year, gets the team moving in a good direction, then is replaced the following year, I wouldn't be against it.

If...if...if...

It's iffy.

Rattay is not a bad option for the short term but where does this lead down the road?

Drafting a 1st day QB to groom behind him

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#39 : December 19, 2006, 11:36:41 AM

Are you implying that it would not bother you if Rattay was leading the team next year? ???

If Rattay shows that he can consistently get the ball into the hands of the play makers, I wouldn't be against him being the "Shepherd" next year for this young offense. Someone said Rattay said that the protection he got on Sunday was "the best he's had in this league". Not saying he's fabulous, but he might be the right type of guy for a young QB (Grads or other) to learn the WCO under. Plus for now, he can be the vet leader. If he starts next year, gets the team moving in a good direction, then is replaced the following year, I wouldn't be against it.

If...if...if...

It's iffy.

Drafting a 1st day QB to groom behind him

That is investing a lot of money into the QB position when the defense could use some love.

#40 : December 19, 2006, 02:28:01 PM

How about this way of looking at it (just bear with me, ok?):

Who would you rather have starting opening day 2007:

Brian Griese

or

Time Rattay

Two answers are off limits: "Neither" and "We don't have Griese anymore".  Go!

FsuBucs1

Practice Squad

#41 : December 19, 2006, 02:44:47 PM

Rattay sucks!! He is an average QB at best. He had one good game on Chicago's banged up secondary and now everyone thinks he got talent? Not me....At most I would say he is a decent backup.

#42 : December 19, 2006, 03:05:52 PM

Rattay sucks!! He is an average QB at best. He had one good game on Chicago's banged up secondary and now everyone thinks he got talent? Not me....At most I would say he is a decent backup.

Would you not say that Brad Johnson was an "average" QB before coming here? Maybe even while he was here. I would and I also believe that this is the type of QB that Gruden can coach, he obviously has a limited record with "young" guys and Rattay is only 29 , he could be hitting his prime in the right situation.... is this the situation? I have no idea

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#43 : December 19, 2006, 04:10:10 PM

Bucd up.  Brad Johnson was always a good prospect who was stuck behind a good QB.  I think it was Wade Wilson?  Not the same thing here.   Rattay was unceremoniously dumped by the Niners in the middle of the season for a 6th round pick. He would have been cut by the Bucs if Fiedler was healthy or McCown. 

gone

Hall of Famer
#44 : December 19, 2006, 08:06:59 PM

Devil's advocate here:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1039

Brad wasn't "stuck" behind anyone.  He had chances with 2 other teams, was the starter for WASH and MIN, and got dropped.

Rattay was cut when there was a rd1 QB (First in draft IIRC) waiting in the wings.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tim Rattay Reassessed « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools