Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anquan Boldin Available In Trade? Pull The Trigger! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

bucs1

Practice Squad
: July 25, 2008, 10:03:11 PM

According to a report from the Miami Herald, Cardinals' WR Anquan Boldin could be available in a trade.  I say forget Brett Favre and go after Boldin!  I don't care what it takes to get him.  We gave up two first round picks for Keyshawn Johnson so I would definitely do the same for a player like Boldin who fills our biggest need.

From miamiherald.com: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2008/07/dolphins-should.html

Dolphins should monitor Anquan Boldin situation (so should the Bucs)

There are reports out of Arizona that receiver Anquan Boldin, although unhappy, will remain with the Arizona Cardinals. Although he said he would not re-sign with the team when his current contract expires in 2010, Boldin has said publicly he will, in fact, be with the Cards until 2010.

Well, this situation demands scrutiny by the Dolphins.

An NFL source is telling me that while Boldin is showing some displeasure with the Cards in public, that is only part of the picture. Privately he is "disgusted" the Cardinals promised him a new contract and, in his mind, reneged on that promise. Boldin, a two-time Pro Bowl performer, currently makes $4 million per season. He thinks the team should make good on its promise and give him a bump that would bring him closer to the nearly $10 million per year fellow Cards receiver Larry Fitzgerald makes.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Boldin, flew to Arizona Thursday then drove to Flagstaff to meet with the Cardinals. The source is telling me the meeting included very serious talk about Boldin not being in Arizona anymore.

"I think Boldin will be in play," the NFL source said. "The Cardinals don't want to trade him. But I don't think the Giants wanted to trade Jeremy Shockey and the Dolphins didn't want to trade Jason Taylor. And we know how that turned out. When a team has an unhappy player in camp, it is not a comfortable situation for anyone."

Rosenhaus was traveling Friday and was not available for comment.

So why am I telling you this stuff?

You put this together: The Cardinals have a disgruntled 27-year-old receiver who has appeared in multiple Pro Bowls. He is from Pahokee, FL. He played at Florida State. He loves South Florida. The Dolphins have a HUGE need to improve their receivers corps. They have a spare second-round pick they just got in the Jason Taylor trade. And they have approximately $21 million in salary cap space that they cannot possibly spend before the end of this season.

Can you say perfect fit?

I am not saying the Dolphins have contacted the Cardinals about Boldin, although at least one team has since it became public Boldin is unhappy in Arizona. I am saying the Dolphins should contact the Cardinals to weigh the possibilities.

Not doing that when Miami has such a clear need at the position would border on irresponsibility. And neither Bill Parcells nor Jeff Ireland are irresponsible. That is why this situation deserves to be monitored.

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#1 : July 25, 2008, 10:06:23 PM

did you just throw the bucs part in or is it actually part of the article??

bucs1

Practice Squad
#2 : July 25, 2008, 10:10:41 PM

Yeah, I just threw in the Bucs part.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 25, 2008, 10:11:34 PM

Two firsts, make it happen.

#4 : July 25, 2008, 10:12:00 PM

If you click on the link he provided I think you'll get your answer.

#5 : July 25, 2008, 10:13:18 PM

I'd most def pass on Favre to make this happen.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 25, 2008, 10:16:03 PM

I think he would go to waste with our current crop of QBs, however, WHEN we nab Favre, THEN go after Boldin.......HARD!

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 25, 2008, 11:28:14 PM

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

Boldin is the new Favre!  Now THAT'S someone worth a first rounder.

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#8 : July 25, 2008, 11:33:34 PM

You forget the Bucs are very conservative with their draft picks. Bruce Allen will not just throw away a first rounder like that. He needs to get off his worrying antics and GET ON THIS!!!! JESUS BRUCE you are a good GM BUT GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND AND GET BOLDIN AND FAVRE! THAT IS THE SUPERBOWL TEAM RIGHT THERE!

Aye, So we cut Clifton Smith?!?!

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 25, 2008, 11:48:49 PM

You have to remember that with either of those two players, our offense is top ten, along with our top 5 defense we could be Tampa bound...for the Super Bowl that is. So ultimately that "first round pick" you just gave up turned into an early second and got you another championship or at least a shot to compete for on in Jan.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 25, 2008, 11:59:04 PM

You have to remember that with either of those two players, our offense is top ten, along with our top 5 defense we could be Tampa bound...for the Super Bowl that is. So ultimately that "first round pick" you just gave up turned into an early second and got you another championship or at least a shot to compete for on in Jan.

yummy!

#11 : July 26, 2008, 12:38:59 AM

I would agree to push for Boldin as well.  His numbers are solid, and as some have said would be a good option opposite Galloway.  The other thing to factor here is if the o-line is as good as we have seen it if ever, we could actually see Galloway, Boldin, along with fill in the blank whether it be Jax, Clayton, or other in 3 WR sets.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 26, 2008, 01:36:55 AM

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I love the rumor mill stuff.

It is like the BUcs are the Jock and the Genious all rolled up into a package, and the other team is the geek, waiting to be had...

It NEVER works that way.

Bruce Allen is cheap.  He is a business man, a fiscal operator first, and a football guy second...think about it.  He had a ton of cap room, and needed a ton of help, and while us casual observers can see it, he can't...

WIDE OUT!

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 26, 2008, 01:52:54 AM

Boldin is worth a first and maybe more. With Larry Fitz there, he becomes expendible in they're eyes.

I would much rather have young Boldin, than an elderly Favre anyway.

We would have a productive QB in Garcia, and a WR core with names like Joey G., A.Bryant, and A.Boldin... sounds good to me  :). If Bruce was to pull a move, now would be that time. Farve was just wishful thinking at best. Realistically, Boldin would be a better fit here in Tampa than even Brett would be. BOTH would be nice, but what can you do? Boldin is the closest (realistic) tyger-woods-type player that we could get. And on the upside even moreso, Joey would be an excellent target once teams have to worry about Boldin on the other side. The only downside is that Boldin could NEVER bring in the fans like Favre could. But who cares, as long as there is production offensively, right?  :-

Imo, Favres going to stay retired because no one will sign him, and GB won't take him back. If anything, he'll wait untill Rodgers gets hurt. Sounds unlikely, I know... But I think GB has played this game with Favre too many times, and they are tired of the crud along with "backlogging" Arron Rodgers for the past four years. It gets worrisome at best. If they did bench Favre, some fans would go absolutely bonkers, but for the most part, they all know Rodgers is still a first rounder and worth a try for his long wait. I don't exactly want it to go that way. I just think it will happen as such.

If we manage cap space well (like BA has been doing), we should go into next offseason with the most bank. If that's the case, we can wait this year, and buy out any possible QB's or WR's next year that are "really-truly" avalable. Is there anyone noteworthy that is in their last season with a team, or anyone who could be traded for (realistic though)?

#14 : July 26, 2008, 02:02:20 AM

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I love the rumor mill stuff.

It is like the BUcs are the Jock and the Genious all rolled up into a package, and the other team is the geek, waiting to be had...

It NEVER works that way.

Bruce Allen is cheap.  He is a business man, a fiscal operator first, and a football guy second...think about it.  He had a ton of cap room, and needed a ton of help, and while us casual observers can see it, he can't...

WIDE OUT!

And while many of "us casual observers" (not me) were talking about trading for Terry Glenn, BA did nothing and now Glenn is a FA.

Every dollar spent has to be worth spending.  We're starting to be at the point where we can afford to take a few risks, but are we there yet?  Is the cap straight to the point where we could make a 10 mill blunder and not have it haunt us?  Or are we close enough to the SB that it's worth a gamble to make the show?  We were still close in 04 and we gambled, lost, and got set back at least 2 years. 

That said, Boldin is definitely worth a first and then some.  THat's a deal that if it is even remotely close to happening is FAR more important than any Favre delusions.  The kid would be a cornerstone.  He's got years left and isn't a risk to bust -- he's not a gamble on a guy that hasn't shown it (aka Turner) -- he's the real deal.  Whatever we were considering giving GB we should throw at AZ and double down.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anquan Boldin Available In Trade? Pull The Trigger! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools