Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden and Gradkowski « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

: October 10, 2006, 09:49:32 AM

I head Jon G. on the radio this morning saying about G-Kow: "alot of people thought he should have been the opening day starter."

Wow.  Does that give you a clear picture about whether or not Jon likes Grads?

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#1 : October 10, 2006, 09:54:36 AM

Yah, Grads does have a large family, and I'm sure they all did feel he should be the opening day starter!!!!

So then beniro....I ask you, what does that say about Jon Gruden. Did all those people saying Grads should be the opening day starter know more than Jon? Should they be the head coach? What really does that quote mean about anything? Was there a point to sharing that quote? Are you suggesting Grads should have been the opening day starter? If you are then you're proclaiming your head coach doesn't know what he's doing.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 10, 2006, 09:57:43 AM

Yah, Grads does have a large family, and I'm sure they all did feel he should be the opening day starter!!!!

So then beniro....I ask you, what does that say about Jon Gruden. Did all those people saying Grads should be the opening day starter know more than Jon? Should they be the head coach? What really does that quote mean about anything? Was there a point to sharing that quote? Are you suggesting Grads should have been the opening day starter? If you are then you're proclaiming your head coach doesn't know what he's doing.

Gruden actually said: "a lot of people around the league thought Gradkowski should have been the opening day starter"

He was just talking about how well Grads did yesterday, and the fact it is no surprise to many.  Chris Simms was that confident in Grads's abilities that he listed his house last week (according to the rumors).

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#3 : October 10, 2006, 09:59:13 AM

Gruden actually said: "a lot of people around the league thought Gradkowski should have been the opening day starter"

He was just talking about how well Grads did yesterday, and the fact it is no surprise to many.  Chris Simms was that confident in Grads's abilities that he listed his house last week (according to the rumors).

According to better sourcces, his house was for sale a week before the season!!!!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 10, 2006, 10:03:15 AM

According to better sourcces, his house was for sale a week before the season!!!!

WOW...he near he was doomed in pre-season.   :o

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#5 : October 10, 2006, 10:04:54 AM

WOW...he near he was doomed in pre-season.   :o
That's very possible, or he was planning on buying a bigger house with his new huge multi year contract. I hope he didn't already buy one!!!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 10, 2006, 10:06:03 AM

That's very possible, or he was planning on buying a bigger house with his new huge multi year contract. I hope he didn't already buy one!!!

The way the market is right now he might be stuck in Tampa.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#7 : October 10, 2006, 10:07:06 AM

The way the market is right now he might be stuck in Tampa.
I could think of worse places to live. Sapp and Dungy still call Tampa home...do they not?

#8 : October 10, 2006, 10:16:23 AM

I'm speculating (which seems to be the point of this message board) about the fact that Grads seems to be the QB that Gruden wants to see succeed.  The fact that after one game, Gruden says that Gradkowski could've been considered competition for the starting job on opening day says something does it not?

I'm not sure if it means all that much about Gruden as a coach, because I think his hands were tied about Simms.  There was no way he could justify starting Gradkowski over Simms to start the season.  But Gradkowski will be given every chance in the world to succeed here.  If he has one more decent game before Luke is ready, the G-Kow will keep the job.

Also, I still think Simms can be a great QB, but I'm not sure this system or this coach is right for him.  Gradkowski is intense and matches Gruden well.  I think a more moderate guy might work better for Simms temperament.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#9 : October 10, 2006, 10:22:20 AM

I disagree
I'm speculating (which seems to be the point of this message board) about the fact that Grads seems to be the QB that Gruden wants to see succeed.  The fact that after one game, Gruden says that Gradkowski could've been considered competition for the starting job on opening day says something does it not?

I'm not sure if it means all that much about Gruden as a coach, because I think his hands were tied about Simms.  There was no way he could justify starting Gradkowski over Simms to start the season. But Gradkowski will be given every chance in the world to succeed here.  If he has one more decent game before Luke is ready, the G-Kow will keep the job.
Why not? Did Gruden not have the stones it took to make that change? Brady didn't look like a world beater for the 2 games he took over for Bledsoe in 2001, but Bill B. saw something in Brady that led him to believe that he should have not given the starting job back to Drew. If Gruden thought Grads was the QB best fit to run this team from day 1, then I as a fan expect Jon to make that switch. The head coach gets paid to win games, not make politcal decisions. Did Gruden doubt his own ability to evaluate talent? Was he not sure that what he saw in Grads was real?

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#10 : October 10, 2006, 10:28:28 AM

I think this falls into the "Shenanigans" category. Gradkowski played one game vs real foes and he played pretty poorly. I doubt anyone, here or anywhere else, thought that he should start based off ripping up insurance salemen and future AFL stars.
I agree, so then why make the comment? That's what I'm questioning. There was no reason or place for it.

#11 : October 10, 2006, 10:31:09 AM

I think this falls into the "Shenanigans" category. Gradkowski played one game vs real foes and he played pretty poorly. I doubt anyone, here or anywhere else, thought that he should start based off ripping up insurance salemen and future AFL stars.

I don't think that Gradkowski played poorly against the Saints.  He looekd like a rookie on about 4-5 pass plays.  Not as bad a Drew Bledsoe looked on Sunday, though.

I agree that Gradkowski is a not ready to be anointed the starter or the future or anything.   I just think that it is telling about Gruden's opinion of this guy to make that statement.  Otherwise, why say it when it is such a slight to Simms?

#12 : October 10, 2006, 10:33:20 AM

I agree, so then why make the comment? That's what I'm questioning. There was no reason or place for it.

Right, that's sort of my point.  Why would Gruden say it?  Or did you mean why would I post it?  ;)

I mean Gruden is obviously high on the kid, but it's an odd statement to make after one game.  My thought is that Gruden is prepared to really put his support behind Grads.  Rightly or not?  I dunno...I'll defer to the coach on that one, I guess.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#13 : October 10, 2006, 10:38:10 AM

Gradkowski is what Gruden wanted to be during his football playing days. Gradkowski's smart, decisive, and has a strong work ethic, but looked over by many teams because of the lack of height. During the preseason, he lit up 3rd stringers and people who would never make NFL rosters. He deserved to get the backup spot but like dalbucs says, he played poorly against actual starters in PS. But in the Saints game, Gradkoski has shown that he can make the offense run effeciently and with a season under his belt, theres a good possibility that he can become a shorter, younger Rich Gannon in Gruden's WCO.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 10, 2006, 10:49:21 AM

I head Jon G. on the radio this morning saying about G-Kow: "alot of people thought he should have been the opening day starter."

There were people within the Buccaneers organization who felt that Grads should have started game one.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden and Gradkowski « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools